Author Topic: Shaving Cream or Gel?  (Read 318691 times)

Offline ShavinMaven

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Shaving Cream or Gel?
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2007, 06:23:51 AM »
As long as the shave gels lubricate and soothe the skin and the hair, I'm all for them.  And keep an eye out for aloe vera and menthol -- they're good natural ingredients that help make them work well.  And I guess it all boils down to if you like dispensing the shave gel from a can or a tube.  Bump Patrol offers both choices, but the tube isn't easy to find in stores.  It's on the their website though.

Offline baldntat05

• Sly
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2007, 08:25:58 PM »
Checking in late, but for me I like Nivea for Men, Skin Essentials Shaving Gel Moisturizing for normal to dry skin.  Works great, doesn't dry out my scalp and gives a great long lasting shave.

Offline jasonfieber

• Wish I was on a beach...
  • Sly Jr.
  • Bald For Life
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2007, 07:03:56 PM »
I use a cream...I use HeadLube. I gotta admit I cheat a little bit and presoak my head with KOS Alpha Shaving Oil. So I use multiple products. I have never had a cut, nick, or any irratation or dryness in over 3 years.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Offline AdamsvilleAce

• Sly Jr.
    • JD's Myspace
« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »
I've shave with ZIRH Shave gel,Edge,and ever Barbasol gel.

My new all-time favorite is the Mach 3 Shaving Gel!! So far it has done the job well.
BALDIES!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody ain't able!!!!!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_112/563880/samp0f2d16106fd3e898.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »
Ace, if you are a fan of gels, you may want to try the Fusion Hydra-gel. It's a great gel.
I have used the Mach 3 gel too, and I've found the hydra-gel works even better. Very smooth and great lubrication. As far as aerosol gels go, I think this is tops. I use it for my face and my cleanup.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
I mentioned this elsewhere but thought I'd put it out here also. I love the HeadSlick. But since I'm trying to limit my shower shaves (to keep the water bills down to a minimum), I needed to try other methods to help reduce the clogging of the razor you get from HeadSlick. To help that, I've started adding a little bit of Barbasol Shave Cream (it's cheap) to my noggin' after I apply the HeadSlick. I find it does help reduce the clogging of the razor. Plus, I like the fact it foams up, whereas HeadSlick alone really doesn't.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
For ages now I been using Palmolive shaving foam, sensitive, with aloe vera - Thought it did a great job until I found Palmolive shaving Gel.  I was amazed how much slicker the gel is to the foam.

Havent tried Mach 3 gel or the Fusion Hydra-gel - probably time to give 'em a go!

Gel certainly gets a smoother finish, and the smoothness lasted longer than it did with the foam - about six hours longer in fact, before the 'velcro' feel came back.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2007, 08:25:08 AM »
Gillette Foamy and a Conair Hot Lather machine. Ya can't beat it on a cold morning.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »
I went trough a whole bunch of different gels from gillete to headslick and the best for a great shave and NO clogging is KOS shave gel. I have recently been using the KOS oil with the gel and its AWESOME.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »
I mentioned this elsewhere but thought I'd put it out here also. I love the HeadSlick. But since I'm trying to limit my shower shaves (to keep the water bills down to a minimum), I needed to try other methods to help reduce the clogging of the razor you get from HeadSlick. To help that, I've started adding a little bit of Barbasol Shave Cream (it's cheap) to my noggin' after I apply the HeadSlick. I find it does help reduce the clogging of the razor. Plus, I like the fact it foams up, whereas HeadSlick alone really doesn't.

Just got some HeadSlick to try, and BOY what a shave, face has never cleaned up so easily.  For the scalp, that was soaking up the HeadSlick while I shaved the face, I put some more hot water on with my hands and reworked the lather then shaved it.  CLEAN, SMOOTH and  COMFORTABLE.  Using a Power Fusion, I didn't have any problems with clogging, maybe that's because I use my face soap before the shaving lather.  But the shave--it's over eight hours and I'm just beginning to feel anything, and just barely where the hair seems to grow fastest oddly enough on top where I had the thinnest areas!  This stuff is a keeper.

Offline Voltaire

« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:02 PM »

After I wake up and get some coffee, I stick the old dome in the sink for a minute or two (tepid or warm water). Get a good soaking.

I take a few drops of tea tree oil or olive oil rub it on the dome, apply a quarter-sized portion of either HeadLube, Lubriderm, or the generic Lubriderm and rub it in good.

If the lotion even looks like its drying, I add a few drops of water while shaving with the HB Sport. Flip the HB Sport around and do the back VERY slowly and in straight lines (since I have a big scar on the back of my dome).

Nivea would prob'ly work fine, but  like the lubriderm or generic version with a few drops of some oil. Then after the shower, I put a quarter-sized portion of HB glossy on the dome or the HB clear head oil (which burns, but gives a good shine all day).

Offline xr2

« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »
Neutrogena skin clearing shave cream works best for me.  It is more like a lotion in texture.  Works good.
"Time flies like the wind.  Fruit flies like bananas"

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2007, 03:33:14 PM »
xr2...welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  post up in the INTRO section so that we can give ya a proper welcome. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Bald_freak

« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2007, 02:54:29 PM »
Head Slick followed by Nivea's Extra Cooling Balm is the winning combo for ole Freak.  O0

Offline froze

• Sly
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2007, 07:31:33 AM »
Right now I have Headslick and Gillette Gel and like both!