Author Topic: Shaving Cream or Gel?  (Read 316362 times)

Offline jumissa.fi

• Finnish B.B.C.
  • Sly
Re: Shaving Cream or Gel?
« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2008, 04:34:33 AM »
The cheaper the better, imo.

So, what´s ur routine then time2shine? ( im also wanna be sly at cheap lol ) never relly succeed though  :*))
--- BBC since July 2oo7 ---

http://www.myspace.com/jumissafi

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2008, 06:32:23 AM »
I just experimented with the Nivea Extreme Comfort Gel and got great results
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
The cheaper the better, imo.

So, what´s ur routine then time2shine? ( im also wanna be sly at cheap lol ) never relly succeed though  :*))

Although I prefer cheap, it's not neccessarily cheap :).
My routine -
Generic apricot scrub
Use Head Slick
Mach 3 shave
Cold water rinse
Nivea soothing balm

In another post i was mentioning how i'm trying to conserve water, so I guess that can be considered cheap   ;D

Offline shavedGabe

• Being you is the best way to go.
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • I know I dont look good with a smile but I try.
« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
I personally use gel by edge and/or old spice, it works great and cant be beat (so far).  8)
outragously

Offline BruceWillisJunior

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #244 on: November 17, 2008, 03:09:30 AM »
Neither, I use a generic Skin Creme thats basically generic Noxema with a big twist top lid, its about $2.00 for 16 Oz. jar and  I take a spoon and rake out 3 or 4 heaping Tablespoons into a coffee mug , I heat that in the microwave till its just warm maybe 8 seconds, and I slather that on my face and head, then let it sit  for at least 5 minutes sometimes 10 minutes , then I break out the headblade with a double sensor or triple HB and go to work, that mentholated eucalyptus camphor creme does wonders especially when its heated up and being that its cheap to use I don't care how much I use, because all shaving creams/gels that I've used don't do anything for me except get me a nicked head no matter what blade I'm using, I will also use Suave advanced regular hand lotion sometimes (again) I pump out a good bit in a coffee mug then warm it up in the microwave a few seconds but mainly my choice is the generic Noxema , you can find it in WalMart usually under the name Medicated Skin Creme it will say in small print "compare to Noxema". To me all these shaving cremes and gels thats designed for shaving are way to over-priced for the amount you get and just sit on top of my skin doing nothing, that warmed up generic Noxema I use is real messy but it does wonders, I'm thinking about going back to a Braun microfoil shaver , I used to use one of those but I had to go over my head twice a day to keep smooth, I spend a fortune on blades, blades are my biggest expense as they probably are to most of us, I've been shaving bald for 6 years now almost 7.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2008, 04:02:55 AM »
Neither, I use a generic Skin Creme thats basically generic Noxema with a big twist top lid, its about $2.00 for 16 Oz. jar and  I take a spoon and rake out 3 or 4 heaping Tablespoons into a coffee mug , I heat that in the microwave till its just warm maybe 8 seconds, and I slather that on my face and head, then let it sit  for at least 5 minutes sometimes 10 minutes , then I break out the headblade with a double sensor or triple HB and go to work, that mentholated eucalyptus camphor creme does wonders especially when its heated up and being that its cheap to use I don't care how much I use, because all shaving creams/gels that I've used don't do anything for me except get me a nicked head no matter what blade I'm using, I will also use Suave advanced regular hand lotion sometimes (again) I pump out a good bit in a coffee mug then warm it up in the microwave a few seconds but mainly my choice is the generic Noxema , you can find it in WalMart usually under the name Medicated Skin Creme it will say in small print "compare to Noxema". To me all these shaving cremes and gels thats designed for shaving are way to over-priced for the amount you get and just sit on top of my skin doing nothing, that warmed up generic Noxema I use is real messy but it does wonders, I'm thinking about going back to a Braun microfoil shaver , I used to use one of those but I had to go over my head twice a day to keep smooth, I spend a fortune on blades, blades are my biggest expense as they probably are to most of us, I've been shaving bald for 6 years now almost 7.

Welcome to the ForumBWJ!

Post up an intro in the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »
To Lance, yes it does give the scalp a tingly zing , the menthol,eucalyptus,camphor in that  knockoff noxema skin creme works better than any other lotion or shaving creme/gel that I've ever used, I swear by it, and I have extremely sensitive skin and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to getting a smooth shave, and the main thing is the price , $2.00 -$2.50 a 16 oz. jar...you can't beat that, it makes me ill to see these tiny tubes and bottles of fancy named oils,cremes,gels and there like 2 oz. to 6 oz. and have like $6.00-to $10.00 or even more price tags and they don't even do as good. Blades in my opinion are already over-priced and I'm glad I found a method that cuts down the price, my method is messy but its a trade off that I find worth it.

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2008, 10:49:49 AM »
To Lance, yes it does give the scalp a tingly zing , the menthol,eucalyptus,camphor in that  knockoff noxema skin creme works better than any other lotion or shaving creme/gel that I've ever used, I swear by it, and I have extremely sensitive skin and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to getting a smooth shave, and the main thing is the price , $2.00 -$2.50 a 16 oz. jar...you can't beat that, it makes me ill to see these tiny tubes and bottles of fancy named oils,cremes,gels and there like 2 oz. to 6 oz. and have like $6.00-to $10.00 or even more price tags and they don't even do as good. Blades in my opinion are already over-priced and I'm glad I found a method that cuts down the price, my method is messy but its a trade off that I find worth it.

Thanks brother.  After running some errand today I went ahead and picked up a jar of noxema cream.  I had to get the "real stuff" because the store I was in didn't have the knock off brand.  But if it works good for me I'll be sure to go somewhere else to get the knock off stuff next time.  Thanks for the info and for sharing your routine.  I totally agree with you about the gels/foams/oils and others.  The only one that has done me any justice is Bald Guyz shaving gel but even that, sorry to say BG fans, doesn't stay long enough.  I always find I have to put more on.  I do remember a long while back when I tried a shaving cream it worked very well.  But it was a name brand like neutragena and was way too expensive to get again.  I think it's because they are basically like lotions and it makes for a really slick surface for the blade to glide.  I think most gels/foams/oils just give too much drag.  I let you know how this routine works for me.  I'm going to use my refillable Schick Exteme with it.  It's the best blade for me because of the "flex" in the blades.  Compared to Mach 3 and HeadBlade anyway.  The last two mentioned just don't seem to get into the grooves on my head good enough.  Plus for some reason with me the Schick Extreme stays sharp for a long time.  I can use one blade for a couple of weeks.  What blade do you use with the cream?

I use the Bald Guyz gel and I have to disagree. It stays slick as long as you keep re-wetting your head. I apply about a dime's worth to start, make a pass, put my hand under the water and re-wet my head and it's as slick as before.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline shavedGabe

• Being you is the best way to go.
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • I know I dont look good with a smile but I try.
« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »
Im definitely up for gel perferably Edge gel (thats what I have tried so far, and am able to afford).
outragously

« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2008, 09:51:12 PM »
To Lance , even if you do use the Noxema brand which at WalMart is around $3.80 I think , and you stick with it, you will still save money compared to the other expensive "shaving cremes/gels", I go back to it occasionally when I can't find the generic Noxema, between the 2 to me they are identical in results, its just the generic is like $2.50 so theres like almost a $1.50 difference.

« Reply #250 on: November 18, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
To Lance, and if  the manufacturers new that people were shaving with it, you better believe they would re-label the name and put "new and improved shaving whatever" on it and jack up the price like all the other shaving stuff and then down size the jar , this is how I have been saving money for a few years, and as for the after shave for my peeled onion , get this, I use a generic brand of hemorrhoid ointment , its yellowish in color, kind of thick and greasy, I put a speck on the top, on the side, the other side, and the back, I rub it in, and that takes care of any razor burn, theres shark liver oil in it which draws the skin up, it also gives that nice Mr. Clean sheen. A tube of that will last me many many months and its only a little over $2.00 a tube, very greasy on the hands but thats why I use Lava hand soap and it comes right off, my method is odd and unusual but it works for me, I feel better knowing that I'm saving money.  O0

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
Definitely had to make the switch back to the Bald Guyz Shave Gel. 

Not sure what it was about the Noxema stuff.  It did give a good feel to the dome when shaving but a while afterward my head would start feeling very oily. 

Lance, you should stick with what works for you. I think each product will work differently for everyone, and not all will yield great results. Depends on the persons hair type, skin, etc.
I keep a rotation of HeadSlick, BGuyz Ultimate, Kos Alphagel and I also use two oils.
These work well for me, and I see no need to go out and spend extra money to try things that aren't really made for shaving.
You seem to jump on any suggestion like it's the be all, end all. Then it turns out you're not happy with it after all.  Stick with the tried and true, bro.     O0

PE#1

« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »

Not sure what it was about the Noxema stuff.  It did give a good feel to the dome when shaving but a while afterward my head would start feeling very oily. 
You seem to jump on any suggestion like it's the be all, end all. Then it turns out you're not happy with it after all.  Stick with the tried and true, bro.     O0

You're right man.  I do tend to get overzealous about new shaving products when they are mentioned. 

It's just that when someone mentions a new "method" I like to give it a shot just out of curiosity.  That's all.  Because who knows?  It may work better and if it's less expensive, then that's even better.

But so far none of the "others" have been able to top Bald Guyz line of products.  So that's why I'm still using it. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:57:52 PM by Lance »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #253 on: November 28, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

You're right man.  I do tend to get overzealous about new shaving products when they are mentioned. 

It's just that when someone mentions a new "method" I like to give it a shot just out of curiosity.  That's all.  Because who knows?  It may work better and if it's less expensive, then that's even better.

But so far none of the "others" have been able to top Bald Guyz line of products.  So that's why I'm still using it. 

I hear you bro. I'm all in for trying new things also, but what I was saying is I use these products and they work very well (BGuyz has a slight edge).
I will try new things too, once I am finished with one of the other items.  There's only so much room in the cabinet, and it's already well stocked, lol.

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #254 on: November 28, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
Gillette Mach3 Gel  8)

Enter your email address: