Author Topic: "Shave Secret" is awesome, BUT......  (Read 13935 times)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: "Shave Secret" is awesome, BUT......
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
I clean my Panasonic with alcohol and very hot water to remove the oil residue.

The Shave Secret oil is very good.  I, however, don't like the clove scent.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
That was one of the reasons I wanted American Crew. I've used a couple of their products in the past and the ones I have smelled great... very masculine. I guess I'll give SS a try even if it does make me smell like spiced cider.

Do you just clean the Panasonic with rubbing alcohol? Any particular kind? I know different kinds have different alcohol content. I have some at the house that is 70% Isopropyl would that work ok?
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
That was one of the reasons I wanted American Crew. I've used a couple of their products in the past and the ones I have smelled great... very masculine. I guess I'll give SS a try even if it does make me smell like spiced cider.

Do you just clean the Panasonic with rubbing alcohol? Any particular kind? I know different kinds have different alcohol content. I have some at the house that is 70% Isopropyl would that work ok?

Yeah, the 70% Isopropyl should be fine.  Just leave the shaver foil off until the blades try before putting it back together.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline DaveDorm

• Trekkie
  • Sly Jr.
    • DaveDorm
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
A little late to the party, but i just tried Shave Secret after reading the reviews on the SBG Blog. For hardware, I use the HeadBlade Sport and Atra twin blades.

I must say I was impressed, even over the performance of HeadSlick. I liked a baby oil shave, very smooth and close, but did not like the "gooey" feeling of the baby oil.

And they were not kidding about "three drops." I used three on my face and twice that on my dome and had more than enough lubricant. If I started to get any drag on the razor, I just rinsed the blade and got a little more water into the mix.

I don't really mind the smell, the cloves smell nice. Not overly masculine, but once dressed and deodorant and other scents applied I did not notice.

As for blade degradation, it's irrelevant for me. I buy Atra clones at 6/$1 so I change blades frequently. At that price, it's cheaper than disposables. I also use the HeadBlade with the blade reversed to shave my face, so it gets double duty.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 01:47:18 AM »
I've been using Shave secret only a short while (on my 2nd bottle.) I really like the way it will let you go over and over and over a spot to get that ultra smooth shave. It does tend to gum up some in my Quattro Titanium, so I use an old toothbrush (which looks nothing like the one I brush my teeth with) to help clean the razor. I've been using it after shaving as well, to get a bit of extra shine on my dome, but after seeing a couple of other products mentioned on this site, I will be trying them out when this bottle gets low. One thing for sure - I will never go back to shaving cream or gel of any type.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 11:47:21 AM »
hey buddha:  yep...it's me that mentioned about the rubbing alcohol.  U guys need 2 try it out.  it decreases irritation & increases the life of your razors. Right on!

I will try this ASAP. Thanks!
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
I agree, the oils mentioned are nice - but you guys need to try the following before axing lotions and gels!

Bald Guyz Ultimate Shave Gel
Billy Jealousy Hydroplane

I swear these are from another world.

Another cool one I just tried today is Bold For Men, it's a lotion that goes on your dry skin (no water necessary). You just apply, wait 30 seconds, and shave normally (rinsing your razor).