Author Topic: The Double Shave  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
The Double Shave
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »
Like all of the sly brothers I want to be smooth and stubble free as long as possible each day.  I have always had hair that grew quickly and would even have to shave my face twice a day in the Marine Corps because of the quick shadow that developed.  I have been experimenting for the last two weeks and found a system that has had awesome results for me.   I am hoping it might work as well for other sly guys.   After the usual routine of hot shower, St.Ives scrub and HeadSlick, I shave first against the grain with the HeadBlade.  I rinse the old noggin with warm water and apply a second, very small amount of HeadSlick and shave a second time with the Mach III going against, up, down, and all around on this second shave.  Then apply the cold water rinse and Moisturizing Gel. 
I mention all of this because I am finding I now can go a MINIMUM of 10-12 hours without ANY stubble.  Results of course are better, the newer the blades and will vary with hair texture but it is truly enjoyable to be so smooth for so long.   And as a guy who is BBC that is an awesome thing! 

"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
Re: The Double Shave
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »
This is similar to what I've been doing the past couple years.  The big difference is I go against the grain on the "first" shave with the Headblade, then on the "second" go around with the Fusion is also against the grain and every which way to get all the odd direction hair.  Like Paul, I'm good for 10-12 hours.  I also think that its best to shave the same time every day, as much as possible.  I've found that if I have to shave earlier or later than usual, I do not get that long lasting smoothness.

O0

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:37:10 PM »
I started shaving my head to make things simple. This sounds like going in the other direction but hey, strokes and folks.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:45:29 PM »
I also shave similarly with the Headblade. I am a with the grain shaver top and back, and will usually go with and against on my sides. I recently started giving a second shave, so to speak, when I do my cleanup.
I lather up with my fusion hydragel, (excellent stuff, by the way), and go over the sides and problem areas with my Headblade again.
I found this works well, and I really get smooth. Any errant hairs I may miss with this will then be caught with my Atra or Sensor as I clean up and get in close by the ears and shave the face.

I also agree with Medic as far as trying to shave the same time each day, if time allows.
I've also been finishing up with Headlube Glossy, and I really like the feel from it. Keeps me smooth and just the right shine, too.    O0
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:52:09 PM by xnewyawka »

X The Hierophant

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 03:05:38 PM »
I started shaving my head to make things simple. This sounds like going in the other direction but hey, strokes and folks.

You know ... you do have a point.

I am also obsessed with getting a super smooth shave, but there has to be something said for good ole' simplicity.  8)

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:51:58 PM »
I'll usually shave the same time each day (in the morning), and if I'm going out at night will shave again before I go.

If I have a scheduled evening event, I'll skip the morning shave and shave before the event. Oddly, it seems if I go 36 hours without shaving that it stays smoother longer.
Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
My hair grows way to fast if I'm gonna keep it slick then I go twice a day, but I use my HBsport I'm not cordinated enough to use a stick razor.  LOL

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
I've found that if I shave my difficult spots FIRST then I get a cleaner, smoother, faster shave. I hit all the awkward angles first with my  Headblade, then do my usual against the grain routine afterwards. When I'm done with all that I'll clean up my whole head with my Schick Extreme3 (The best razor in the world for the face and great on the head, too). I'm usually smooth for about 10-12 hours that way. I find that it takes much less time to shave if I get all the awkward spots first, I suppose because the hair is long enough for the razor to easily grab.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
I've found that if I shave my difficult spots FIRST then I get a cleaner, smoother, faster shave. I hit all the awkward angles first with my  Headblade, then do my usual against the grain routine afterwards. When I'm done with all that I'll clean up my whole head with my Schick Extreme3 (The best razor in the world for the face and great on the head, too). I'm usually smooth for about 10-12 hours that way. I find that it takes much less time to shave if I get all the awkward spots first, I suppose because the hair is long enough for the razor to easily grab.

Hmmm, that's a new way to do it...I'll give er' a go with the pesky trouble spot first..

Thanks Cam! O0

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »

Hmmm, that's a new way to do it...I'll give er' a go with the pesky trouble spot first..

Thanks Cam! O0

No problem, bro! Anything I can do to help out the sly brothers!

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »
Paul, Great post mate O0

I too have been doing this SAME routine only using the Sensor razor for the past 2-3 months and I get 12-14 hours of smooth before the stubble starts showing again.

It takes a bit longer sometimes but gives the best and smoothest shave.

Curse these blasted rough spots!! :Xo!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 08:49:23 PM »

Oddly, it seems if I go 36 hours without shaving that it stays smoother longer.

Same here.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »

Oddly, it seems if I go 36 hours without shaving that it stays smoother longer.

Same here.

The only thing I have found that makes a difference is when I wait to shave until after I have been up for awhile.  But being as I am in the office before 7:00 a.m., that usually doesn't happen during the week.  I just get my really good shaves on the weekends.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed