Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 626924 times)

chadoweasel

Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2006, 07:06:03 PM »
I use the Fusion the most. I notice the more blades a razor has, the less nicks I get. I dont think I have ever cut myself with the Fusion. I was using HB's Lube, but lately I have found that Nivea For Men - Sensative Shaving Gel to be my new favorite.

My biggest complaint is the rediculous pricing for Fusion blades. My second biggest complaint with nearly all blades is how fast they clog, and how hard it is to shake, pound, and rinse the hair out from between the blades. Its those issues that make me want to try out a straight razor or the old fashion single blade razors.

Offline SBG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2006, 05:25:30 AM »
a lot of the clogging is caused by the foam/gel you use, try using a good shaving soap or cream and it'll make a world of difference. As for foam, the best foam I found so far that does not clog the gillette Mx (don't have a fusion :) is cheap Aldi(low-price store chain) foam. :D  I think the gillette gels and foams are deliberately designed to clog up your razor as fast as possible so you have to put on a new cartridge faster. ;)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2006, 07:16:01 AM »
Chad...from the looks of that healthy plate of yours, in addition to other postings, I'm leaning toward the Fusion.

Update: My wifey-poo is warming up to the idea nicely.  We're still stickin' to our "deal" about me losing some weight first.  But last night she mentioned that she saw Fusion stuff at a good price at Costco.  She goes, "And there's one that you put a BATTERY in!"

Hey....it's my 100th posting!.......ooooh, that means I'm just plain SLY....

and I haven't even shaved my head  8)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 07:24:08 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2006, 07:20:17 AM »
By the way....here's a question for you veteran chromers:

Is how your face responds/reacts to regular shaving any indication as to how yer plate will react.

I've never really had any issues with my face (sensitivity, bumps, etc.).  In fact I get away with using pretty cheap disposable double blade razors without shaving cream or even after shave.  I just get out of the shower and grab a razor...used or not....splash a little water on my face and go at it.

Is that any indication of a complication free plate?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2006, 07:30:33 AM »
Hey, chad....are you of an olive-skinned nationality where you're naturally tan to a certain degree?  That's a nice tone on yer noggin.

Even if your nationality makes it easier, I know that a fresh shave leaves that blueish shadow.  What are some tips on achieving/maintaining that?

chadoweasel

« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2006, 08:04:38 AM »
I'm a mutt, really. I mean, I do have a touch of Iroquois Indian, but for the most part I'm Irish/Scot. My grandfather is all Irish and he is naturally darker than me (have no clue how he was a dark skinned Irishman), so even without Indian I think I would still have a little darker tone. I get pretty dark in the summer, and that was when that picture was taken, but yea...its really a year round thing for me.

The best way to get a nice looking head is just keep it really short all of the time. That way it becomes the same color as the rest of your skin. Protect it in the summer though with sunscreen until your head is used to that glowing ball up in the sky that it most likely hasn't been exposed to most of your life. It will burn faster than the rest of your skin, and blisters aren't attractive..neither is the flacking skin when it peels. I never used those sunless tanning sprays or lotions, but I suppose they might get the initial "new shave" look taken care of. I would look into the face tanners over the rest of the body ones if you are wanting to skip that first shaved awkward look. But hell....nothing wrong with that pale head look at first. I shows you got b@ll5 enough to lose the hair.

Your other question about the skin on your head as compared to your face. In my opinion the skin isn't the same. The scalp sweats more for sure, and as far as I can tell will produce more oils than your face. That being the case, it very well can react differently. I would recommend going with a sensitive gel/cream until you know how your head reacts. I know my scalp is ALOT tougher now than it was when I first started shaving it. I think over time the exposure does that.

As far as the razor goes, IMO you cant go wrong with the Fusion. The blades are so close together its rare to get a cut since the skin doesn't get in between them as easy. People love the Mach3 also, but I got occasional cuts when I used to use that.

Oh..and finally, I recommend HeadBlade after shaving lotions. The matte one is what I use. Its good for the skin, and it makes your head look nice after a fresh shave. I'm sure there are other products that work the same, but i like to support HeadBlade when I can because they are one of the few out there specifically making products for head shavers. Once they make an adapter to use the Fusion blade, I think I'll start using mine again. :)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2006, 08:12:06 AM »
Thank you, sir...that's a lot of good stuff to keep in mind!

Offline KETAYA

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:59 AM »
I use Headblade products. This is the best razor for me.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2006, 08:26:10 AM »
Thanks, Ketaya....and WELCOME to SlyBaldGuys!!!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »
Welcome KETAYA! Nice to see another Blader on here
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2006, 09:33:30 AM »
Chad...from the looks of that healthy plate of yours, in addition to other postings, I'm leaning toward the Fusion.

Update: My wifey-poo is warming up to the idea nicely.  We're still stickin' to our "deal" about me losing some weight first.  But last night she mentioned that she saw Fusion stuff at a good price at Costco.  She goes, "And there's one that you put a BATTERY in!"

Costco had the best deal on bulk Fusion blades that I have found anywhere. I think I ended up with 3 or 4 blade packs for 30 bucks give or take.

Batteries are for remote controls or laser pointers to drive your dog(s) crazy.
A skilled warrior takes his stand on ground where he cannot lose, but does not overlook the conditions that make his enemy prone to defeat.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2006, 09:55:28 AM »
Batteries are for remote controls or laser pointers to drive your dog(s) crazy.

Yeah, man.....what on earth do the batteries do in one of them Mach3's or Fusion's?  Anyone?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2006, 10:26:49 AM »

Is how your face responds/reacts to regular shaving any indication as to how yer plate will react.

I've never really had any issues with my face (sensitivity, bumps, etc.).  In fact I get away with using pretty cheap disposable double blade razors without shaving cream or even after shave.  I just get out of the shower and grab a razor...used or not....splash a little water on my face and go at it.

I've also noticed that my scalp is much different than my face when it comes to shaving.  My face can withstand an older razor, my head can't.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2006, 10:54:59 AM »
I use Headblade products. This is the best razor for me.
Welcome to the group, KETAYA!  We're looking forward to picking up some of your knowledge with the headblade line.  Which do you use the classic or sport?
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Sheeple

• Master Fewl
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Auld Pic, new to come.
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2006, 11:00:24 AM »

I've never really had any issues with my face (sensitivity, bumps, etc.). In fact I get away with using pretty cheap disposable double blade razors without shaving cream or even after shave. I just get out of the shower and grab a razor...used or not....splash a little water on my face and go at it.

I've also noticed that my scalp is much different than my face when it comes to shaving. My face can withstand an older razor, my head can't.

I agree, my scalp shaves much different than my face. Also, not to sound odd, but my head never itched when I grew my hair back, my beard however was ruthless for a week or so.
A skilled warrior takes his stand on ground where he cannot lose, but does not overlook the conditions that make his enemy prone to defeat.