Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 623874 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #945 on: July 18, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
This past Saturday stopped in at the Wal-Mart for a general supply shopping trip for shaving and other stuff.  On the spur of the moment I picked up a Schick Hydro 5, having seen it praised by some of the guys here--including the long absent WARHAWK (Where are you?) 
Initial impression is very good, in fact excellent.  As noted by one other SBG,  this blade can be used with pressure--no kidding--and that can be a real asset for some areas that have stubborn stubble in the way of the perfectly smooth dome.  Result, my dome felt as smooth as a peeled peach--absolutely great.  Not a hint of irritation in any respect, much less a nick.  I'll be using this for the next couple of weeks and it may supplant my affection for the M5, even with the additional cost.  It is a marked improvement over the Fusion, my former #2 blade behind the M5. 

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #946 on: July 19, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
I have moved on from the HeadBlade Sport razor. Currently I use either the Gillette Fusion or Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Razor. I just really like the 5 blade system for shaving my head.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #947 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:57 AM »
I've been using a HeadBlade since I went sly because I liked the control it gave on my newly-shaved scalp.  Today I used my Gillette Mach 3 on my scalp and I'm amazed at how much smoother my head is.  I'm going to test this for a week or so to see how it goes. 

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #948 on: August 10, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »
Way back to my 100th post on Dec 13, 2006 I hadn't even shaved yet and was "leaning toward" the FUSION.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.90

That's what I started with and NEVER TRIED ANYTHING ELSE!!!

The five-blader is the end-all for me, man  O0

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #949 on: August 11, 2011, 06:17:40 AM »
The results with the Mach 3 were much better than the HeadBlade.  My head stayed smooth much longer - well into the late afternoon.  This morning I tried a 5-blade Fusion (a free sample that was in the drawer unopened) and the shave was even closer.  I might have to hang up the HeadBlade and go with either the Mach 3 or the Fusion. 

Offline Emcee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #950 on: August 11, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
Curious about giving the Fusion a try myself. which version y'all recommend? Power? Proglide? if either of these do you find a significant difference over the manual version in terms of closer shave, longer lasting smoothness? Same would go if you perfer Proglide over Power or vice versa etc.

<-- I look pretty much like my avatar guy here save for mpb shadowless head. cursid dark hair/pale skin. Always feel like I'm missing out on a closer shave of course.

Appreciate any input on the Fusion before I shell out lots of monies to Gillette:)

Offline glockmeister

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #951 on: August 11, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »
I use the power fusion and love it.Gives me a smooth dome for at least 12 hours usually more.I have never cut myself with it either.The blades are expensive but my blades last 2-4 weeks by keeping them dry and sharpening them using the blue Jean method.I used to use headslick but lately I've been shaving in the shower and using cheap conditioner and it works great.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #952 on: August 12, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »
I am using the Power Fusion too.  Yesterday was the first time and my dome stayed smooth for about 10 hours before I began to notice some stubble.  Even late last night, the stubble was far less than with the HeadBlade triple.  I'm sold on the Fusion.

Offline Emcee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #953 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
thanks a lot for the input, fellers. i was leaning toward the Power anyhow as it was recommended to me before by a friend who uses it for face shaving but was curious if the Proglide was a step up over Power or not. Thought I read somewhere that the Proglide shave doesnt seem to last as long or some such. You Power users try out that one yet?

also, thanks a bunch for the razor preservation tip, glock. doing it!

Offline 1GoZoom

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #954 on: August 15, 2011, 02:03:15 AM »
As tomorrow will be my first time without hair, its bound to change, but I have a brand new Conair hair trimmer that I've been wanting to use.  Probably do that, and if it still is too long for my liking, I'll pull out either my Edwin Jagger straight blade (which I love and adore) or my Proglide Fusion Power (needs a new head but I'm cheap).  I have a Wahl electric razor, but its older than my high school diploma.  :P

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #955 on: August 15, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
I haven't tried the ProGlide. I may give it a try when I go to restock on blades.

Offline Emcee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #956 on: August 15, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
The Proglide got me. It got me good. There was just too many of them staring me in the face, plus this huge lit up display thing on the end cap of the shaving section at Walmart. I figured I can try Power blade heads if I am so inclined.

ummmmmmmmm, WOW! first shave this morning, my best in some time. it just glides so easily with zero irritation going on. so.friggin.smooth. big improvement on my sides and in the back. I was using headblade w/sensor trips prior to this.

Not sure how much these heads differ from the POWER ones but I kinda feel like I've been missing out. We'll see how long the smoothness lasts, how long it holds up of course. Just wish I could afford the refills:/ gonna try the keeping the blades dry/jean technique for sure.

Does anyone know if dousing the blades in mineral oil truly helps on prolonging blade life?

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #957 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
Using the new Headblade Sport for my noggin and a Schick Hydro 3 for my face and cleanup.  I was using the Hydro 5 but I just get a closer shave with a three blade.  Don't understand it, but hey, I can't argue with reality.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline glockmeister

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #958 on: August 15, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »
I am going on 3 weeks with my latest Fusion blade by keeping it dry and sharpening it after every shave on a 2x4 that I wrapped with a blue Jean leg.Check out you tube on the blue Jean sharpening method.I first heard about it on this web site and started using it and it really works.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #959 on: August 15, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »
This thread is SO long, I am going to start a new one as a poll, so it's easier to see all the options. IT will be an OPEN poll to add razors I haven't heard of or don't remember (there will be lots).

If you still want to keep this going, no problem with me. I just don't want to read through 65 pages. :)
AKA Gimpy