Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 626859 times)

Offline TK4108

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #885 on: December 23, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
I'm pretty distraught about the discontinuation of Personna's M5 blade.

Our Exchange still had a few packs of blades, so I just bought the four that they had left. I guess I'll be looking for something new when they are gone...  :-\

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #886 on: December 23, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
I have some that I was gifted by a generous and much appreciated Sly Guy here, but the end is in sight.  I have just started a couple of weeks with a Gillette to get myself ready for the inevitable--but I'm going to be one sorry bald guy when I have used my last M5. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline jmb_1981

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #887 on: December 23, 2010, 07:23:53 PM »
New to the site thinking about switching from a clipper to a razor shave:)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #888 on: December 23, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
New to the site thinking about switching from a clipper to a razor shave:)

A switch you probably won't regret--take it slow, hot shower, sharp new blade--enjoy.  Welcome to the sly guys and that special bunch of guys who enjoy scraping the grape and peeling the peach.  Welcome, and what a Christmas present to give yourself to enter the new year O0.

Offline jmb_1981

« Reply #889 on: December 23, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
Thank you

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #890 on: December 24, 2010, 07:23:59 AM »
I use a Gillette Fusion a few days a week & a Norelco Speed XL the other days. I recently tried a Remington Foil. I wasn't expecting much but was shocked at how close a shave it gave. Not as close as a Gillette Razor but pretty darn close.

Offline daviekumd

• Sly Jr.
    • facebook
« Reply #891 on: December 27, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
i went with the regular fusion for about 3 weeks-ish...it was aiight.  i tried the fusion proglide yesterday...WAAAAAAAY better results for me.  like night and day.  with the fusion i had pretty much total stubble about 8 hours after shaving.   it's been 24 hours now since i used the proglide--including sleep time--and there are still stubble-free spots on my head.  well worth the extra 2 bucks per pack, or whatever it works out to.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #892 on: December 27, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
For you M5 lovers..... CVS stores sell a 5 blade cartridge that looks very similar to the M5 cartridge and I have been told that it works on the M5.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #893 on: December 29, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
Funny how you can sometimes get the best shaves from such unexpected sources....

The other night, I forgot to pick up some blades on the way home from work - completely forgot about it until it was shower time (I shave BOTH in the morning and at night). Anyway, it was late, rainy, windy, and cold....

Now I consider myself to be dedicated to keeping my melon SLY, but I wasn't going out again 'fer nuttin'...

I noticed my wife had a package of Rite-Aid brand pivoting-head disposables in the bathroon cabinet. Having no other alternative, I decided to give the razor a try, but prepared myself mentally (and physically) for what I thought was going to be a BLOODFEST!!

To my udder delight, I was EXTREMELY, PLEASANTLY SURPRISED with the CLOSENESS of the overall end result. NO nicks, cuts, or post-shave irritation!!

Not just close. I mean it was "WOW CLOSE"!!

Like I said... sometimes the smoothest, closest shaves can come from the most unexpected sources...

Go figure...  :px

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #894 on: January 08, 2011, 07:14:02 AM »
For you M5 lovers..... CVS stores sell a 5 blade cartridge that looks very similar to the M5 cartridge and I have been told that it works on the M5.
Dollar General has a DG brand cartridge that looks like the M5 too.  I checked and it's made in Tennessee.  So you know it's not that cheap Korean made stuff they usually pedal.

Offline Rev. Cleanhead

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Rob
« Reply #895 on: January 11, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
When I started shaving my head (not quite 10 years ago), I would grab my trusty mach 3.  Then I learned what a real razor was and started using a double-edge safety razor.  All in all, I'm convinced that the choice of lubricant is more significant than blade.  Best change I ever made in my routine was ditching the 99cent can of shave foam for a quality shaving soap and brush. 
You can't part the skin of a sausage,
Or a dad from his fond son and heir.
And you can't part the hair on a bald-headed man,
For there'll be no parting there.  ~Billy Bennett

Offline Harleyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #896 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
Mach 3 is my weapon of choice,anything else seems to tear my head apart.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/140224/sampf09f1299b683a4f3.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline BaldHeeb

« Reply #897 on: January 26, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
Been shaving on/off for about 7 years (started losing my hair at 19).
Not a fan of Headblade's razor, but the products are good.
I usually use the Gillette Fusion, and more recently the ProGlide version.
When I'm lazy and have a week's worth of stubble, I break out a nice sharp Bic Twin Select.  The Bic Flex4 gives a decent shave too.

Offline TheBreeze

• Team Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #898 on: February 04, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
I've been using the Gillette Fusion Proglide Power.  I think it is a great razor.

I use (and really like) a lot of the Headblade products, but not the razor - never tried it.  Maybe I will try it at one point, but I just don't see how it could give me a closer or more comfortable shave than the Fusion. 

Offline IMSLY

• Giligan's island, Guanica, Puerto Rico, 6/2010
« Reply #899 on: February 04, 2011, 05:49:14 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, at least it hasn't here. you can still get the M5 Razor by ordering online, the only catch is that you need to order at least 6 packs (@US $5.89 Each that's $34 for 24 cartridges). I already ordered once about 2 months ago and didn't know about the 6 item requirement, but i didn't have to order 6 because the 1st time you order they'll give you free shipping, no matter how many you buy. The website is https://personna.alice.com/products
Hope it helps brothers!