Author Topic: What razor do you use?  (Read 623784 times)

Offline blugill

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Sport That Dome yeah ?
Re: What razor do you use?
« Reply #855 on: September 28, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
Hell I've been sportin the dome for the last 20+ years, love it and wouldn't have it any other way. What razor, just depends on which one I'm in the mood to use that day. I have a 1930's gold tone new Gillette open comb DE razor, a 1959, 1961,1967 Super Speeds all Gillette, two Schick Pre Krona's one silver tip n one black tip, one HeadBlade Sport. You be the judge, love using all of em, today was the silver tip Shick
were all in it to the end so get comfortable and shave your head

BaldBradley

« Reply #856 on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:26 PM »
Usually the cheapest razors I can find, I figure you can get ten or so cheap razors for the price of one or two of the better razors. Replacement blades cost to much...

I have an electric razor that I use for my face, I've thought about using it on my face but I don't know if it would turn out good.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #857 on: October 07, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »
Usually the cheapest razors I can find, I figure you can get ten or so cheap razors for the price of one or two of the better razors. Replacement blades cost to much...

I have an electric razor that I use for my face, I've thought about using it on my face but I don't know if it would turn out good.

Same with me, I usually buy what is good and cheap. Money isn't that plentiful at this time. I found razors at the Dollar Tree, 3 for $1. I usually get the Women's version because they don't make me break out, as well it is what my wife likes to use. I tried the Men's version and broke out for some reason.
I haven't been using my headblade lately because I don't like Atra II blades and the pharmacy where I got Sensor blades are out of stock. Gillette blades have become a little pricey themselves. I haven't been able to find a store brand anywhere except for the pharmacy where I get my prescription meds. Walmart doesn't carry store brand sensor blades anymore.
Great razors, however.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline joe mcclaine

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #858 on: October 11, 2010, 01:07:42 AM »
Mach 3, Fusion, Quattro and Hydro 3 (just testing this one).

All have great 'flow through' so are very easily rinsed out (with a couple of days' growth).

Tried almost every razor known to man - including DEs and straights.

The ones listed result in 'faff-free' shaves.
Vinny (not Joe McClaine - that was just the real name of 1960's Gerry Anderson puppet Joe 90)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #859 on: October 11, 2010, 07:09:32 AM »
I was getting nervous about my M5 when Wal-Mart stopped carrying them and their blades.  But, I found a supply of them in upstate NY this past week at a CVS so I'm good for several more months.  What I can't figure is why our CVS's in NO don't and never did stock them :/O.  I was looking to bite the financial bullet and go back to Fusion.  

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #860 on: October 11, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
I was getting nervous about my M5 when Wal-Mart stopped carrying them and their blades.  But, I found a supply of them in upstate NY this past week at a CVS so I'm good for several more months.  What I can't figure is why our CVS's in NO don't and never did stock them :/O.  I was looking to bite the financial bullet and go back to Fusion.  
I am assuming that Schick bought Personna out.  I noticed that all the Personna stuff has been replaced by Wilkinson Sword.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #861 on: October 11, 2010, 08:52:23 AM »
I am assuming that Schick bought Personna out. 
Damn, that pisses me off.  Product for product, price for price, IMO the M5 defined stick shaving and worked so well peeling the peach to a long lasting smooth finish.  We'll see the stuff again at a super high price--b_stards :Xo! :Xo! :Xo!.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #862 on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:51 AM »
Apparently Schick did buy out Personna's parent company:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/article_27c1b05e-d312-11df-af81-0017a4a78c22.html

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #863 on: October 11, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
Apparently Schick did buy out Personna's parent company:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/article_27c1b05e-d312-11df-af81-0017a4a78c22.html

Rats,

"The addition of American Safety Razor to our  Schick Wilkinson Sword business broadens our product portfolio, enhances our ability to deliver total category solutions to our retail customers, and provides us with greater scale to effectively compete in an increasingly competitive marketplace," Energizer CEO Ward Klein said in a statement."

They'll compete alright, taking a good, well priced product off the shelf, limiting choice and driving consumer prices up!  If you can't create a better product, kill the ones that do.  Didn't realize that they were in bankruptcy.  Too bad they didn't aggressively pursue the sly market. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #864 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »
Amazon has the replacement cartridges at what seems to be a reasonable price. Might be worth stocking up while the supplies last:

http://www.amazon.com/blades-trimmer-cartridges-replacement-Personna/dp/B002E7HG04/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1286812542&sr=8-3

Offline DrDuktayp

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #865 on: October 18, 2010, 09:02:07 PM »
I am pretty new to shaving my head.  I have tried Gillette Sensor, Wifes Remington wet/dry, Remington Micro Screen and Braun Series 3.  I have some bumps and even a mole on the back side of my head.  So, I am really liking the Braun Series 3 as it is a wet/dry and does pretty good.  I have been washing hair in shower with shampoo and then using Edge gel on my head to hopefully prevent razor bumps.  I was going to try a Fusion until I saw how much the blades were ... that is when I decided to buy a new electric.

Tom

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
Sensor Excel doesn't fit on the black adapter
« Reply #866 on: October 22, 2010, 12:28:02 AM »
I bought it two days ago.(10$ for 5 blades)
It doesn't seem to fit to the black adapter.
Has anyone tried them and can concur that they are compatible?
I think of returning it to the shop and buying something else.
Thanks,
Yohai.
If you can't beat them,Shave them.....

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #867 on: October 22, 2010, 03:20:48 AM »
I believe there are actually 2 different black adapters. Check this thread pg.4 has some pics of all of em to compare   http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=12894.45

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #868 on: October 22, 2010, 06:34:10 AM »
OK,got the idea.
Too shame that only this morning I ordered two products from headblade's website,'cause the shipment is more expensive than the products themselves.(I live in Israel)
Had I known,I would have ordered the adapters too.
Never mind that,I'm satisfied with the HB double razor blades,only I have an issue with cleaning them.
The hair seems to get stuck between the blades.
I tried to clean it with an old toothbrush,but it ruined the blade.
I thought of filling my sink a little,then enter the blade and shake it well,maybe that would clean them better.
Another thought was to use my nose trimmer's brush,which is more delicate.
Any tips for this issue?
Thanks,
Yohai.
If you can't beat them,Shave them.....

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #869 on: October 22, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »
I thought of filling my sink a little,then enter the blade and shake it well,maybe that would clean them better.
Yep, that's how I'm doing it.
Ach du meine Nase!