Author Topic: Barber Shop Head Shave  (Read 1759 times)

Offline chuck63

• Sly
Barber Shop Head Shave
« on: September 29, 2021, 11:29:31 AM »
I’ve seen several comments here about getting your head shaved by a barber.  I’ve always done mine myself from the initial haircut with clippers to finishing it up with a razor.  Several local barbershops in my area offer a straight razor head shave lasting about 45 minutes.   This is something I’ve been wanting to treat myself to for a while.  Is this worth the time and money to have it done?   Im always happy with the smooth finish I get shaving myself.   Does a straight razor shave give you a similar results?

Online reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Barber Shop Head Shave
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »
@chuck63 , I have gotten 2 barbershop headshaves. While it was a good experience, it wasn't anywhere near as smooth as you get it at home. Neither went against the grain, maybe I should have asked. Both were about $22 plus tip.

I found a local female barber that does headshaves. Next time I decide to grow some hair and go back to sly, I'm going to try her.

Yes, everyone should try a barbershop shave,  it's a fun experience.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »
I agree you should give it a try.  The ones I have had were not as close of a shave as I could do myself.  But having the hot towels, warm shave cream/soap, and the barber going over your head is like a good massage.  I find it very relaxing. I have paid form $15 to $35 for the service, plus a tip.  And the $15 shave was just as good as the $35 shave.

Just make sure you are getting a straight razor shave.  My normal barber was out once and I let another barber, in the same shop, give me what I thought would be the same service.  But the other barber did not use a straight razor, just a cheap cartridge razor. It was not the same experience at all.

I was told that for straight razor shaves they can only shave with the grain.
SlyBeard

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 07:19:27 PM »
I have had my head shaved by a barber on a few occasions. A couple of them were great but most of them were not very close shaves. You’ll definitely do a much better job at home, but getting your head shaved bald in a barbershop is an experience you should have at least once, IMO

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »
I’ve been to a few barbers for a head shave. They were mostly done with a straight razor and they were generally disappointing. No where near as smooth as when i shaved my own head. They all consisted of using hot towels, some type of oil, and all shaved with a straight razor with the grain. The best head shaves was the same process but also used a Norelco shaver as an extra step to getting the noggin nice and smooth.

One shop i went to used only a Norelco and the barber charged me the same price as a regular haircut.

It’s fun to do…and I say treat yourself. But i have to say don’t expect the same level of smoothness as doing it yourself. And I didn’t pay that much more in each case to get a head shave. It’s all part of the happy bald man experience.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:42:33 AM by Razorhead »

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 02:20:54 AM »
Worst head shaves ever were always from barbers.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 05:33:42 AM »
I'd like the hot towel and the other stuff the barber does but the "cut throat" razors scare me.  I just do my own head.  I do have dry skin so it never comes out "baby butt smooth" until I apply a moisturizer.  I don't think the barbers in my area have much experience shaving heads.  One of them told me it would be bad for business.  I'd rather shave it myself anyway.  At least I get it done without talking myself into a coma.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »
It all depends on the particular Barber who does the job but I like to treat myself to having someone else do it with a virgin afford to do so sometimes on the way out of my way to go take your place to get it done such as I go to a place in Mexicali Mexico with a guy takes 45 minutes and then feels the scalp about eight times with water and his thumb until he sure he’s got every single hair down to the bone

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 10:32:07 AM »
Worst head shaves ever were always from barbers.

Agree. It’s a waste of money.