Author Topic: Skull Shaver  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
Skull Shaver
« on: September 21, 2021, 07:52:56 PM »
I kept getting ads for this on social media and the comments looked solid. And my head blade blade kept breaking off.

I am super impressed so far (about a month or so using it). Gets as smooth as a razor, it's way faster, still use shaving cream, cleans pretty easy. It was $100 but worth it to me so far.

If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
Re: Skull Shaver
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 03:20:59 AM »
I never had any luck with that.  It's strange and works great for some while others get a terrible shave.  I don't understand that part.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 09:53:23 PM »
I like mine but primarily use it in the winter.  Prefer a 2 blade disposable in the warmer weather.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:31:48 AM »
I ordered a Freedom Grooming rotary shaver a few months ago.  It works ok, but it’s not a smooth shave.  I’m too OCD about making sure I have a perfectly smooth head when I shave. 

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 01:56:11 PM »
I bought one a couple of weeks ago on recommendation from a friend, been considering one for ages and I get on really well with it.  I couldn't decide whether to buy one or not as all the reviews seemed too good to be true, but I am very pleased.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
My girlfriend bought one for me (Pitbull Gold Pro) and I used it for the first time today. I used it with shaving cream in the shower and it gave a decent shave though not as close as a blade. But I'm sure there's a learning curve involved. Next time I'll try it dry or maybe with Lectric Shave and see what happens. At that point I'll be able to report how it stacks up against my Panny 8243K.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Thathawkguy001

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 05:56:00 PM »
Please do I’m looking for one for when I’ll be short on time

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 02:49:49 AM »
Please do I’m looking for one for when I’ll be short on time
I've used a rotary a few times but takes more time and also consider you'll need to wash all that white powder off your head when you're done.  My advise to you is when you're short on time, just skip the shave until you have time to shave properly.  If you really want a quick shave, you'd be better off shaving with the grain with a razor.  Takes maybe a minute or two.  Shaving against the grain is more time consuming but I find that people don't notice the difference anyway.  My rotary tends to leave a few continents on my scalp but seems like I'm the only one that noticed that aspect.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 03:28:37 PM »
I've used a rotary a few times but takes more time and also consider you'll need to wash all that white powder off your head when you're done.  My advise to you is when you're short on time, just skip the shave until you have time to shave properly.  If you really want a quick shave, you'd be better off shaving with the grain with a razor.  Takes maybe a minute or two.  Shaving against the grain is more time consuming but I find that people don't notice the difference anyway.  My rotary tends to leave a few continents on my scalp but seems like I'm the only one that noticed that aspect.

I generally use it dry, but I don't recall having any white powder on my head that I need to wash off after using it.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 05:11:14 AM »
I do have dry skin so maybe that has something to do with it.  Me and rotaries just don't get along.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
I do have dry skin so maybe that has something to do with it.  Me and rotaries just don't get along.

It could be, mine is dry but I don't seem to get this (at least I have not noticed).

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 08:34:39 AM »
Another entry on the Skull Shaver. My feeling had been that the shave was not in the same class as shaving with a blade but I decided to try an experiment. I have an older Panasonic 8243K that I've swapped out the blades a couple of times but the blades that are currently in it are about 2 years old.
To be fair I shave mostly with a blade but the 8243 has always been an erstwhile fill in when I don't have time/inclination to do a righteous blade shave.
So the experiment went as follows: I shaved first with my Skull Shaver Pitbull Gold and Lectric Shave. In running my hand over my scalp after the shave it felt like I was feeling 20 grit sandpaper. In other words I felt like I had a Velcro scalp. At this point I broke out the Panny and went over my dome again and VOILA! Smooth as silk.
So my honest opinion is that The Skull Shaver is inferior to the Panny or a blade. Take note that I am qualifying this statement by saying that this experiment was conducted only on my head/hair and so it is totally unscientific and prejudicial. Other people with different head shapes and various degrees of coarseness of hair may experience a different result.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 01:20:05 PM »
Ive had good luck with my Braun 3.  Takes a couple of shaves to get used to it but the shave comes out pretty good.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 09:18:52 PM »
To me the big advantage of the Pit Bull shaver over my Braun Series 5 is speed  ( 2 minutes) . The  Braun ( at least twice the time. The Braun is definitely closer, most foil shavers are. I do prefer the Pit Bull if I am not using a regular bladed razor.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."