Author Topic: spending way to much money on razors  (Read 2539 times)

Offline scotty23

• Learning the way of Sly
spending way to much money on razors
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:47:07 AM »
Hey guys new to the site. I have been shaving my head for about 6 months now and I am going through blades like mad. I use the mach 3 blades and try to shave every other day but if i dont and shave like 2 times a week i find the second time i shave in the week i am using like 2 razor blades just to shave my head. Is this common for most people ? Is there another razor blade I should be trying because I seem to be going through about 4 blades per week. Also how often do u guys shave your heads ? thanks

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: spending way to much money on razors
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:23:45 AM »
It's really different for everyone.  The amount of hair and the texture of your hair will determine how long a blade will last.  If I go more than two days without a shave I use my electric trimmer without a guard to buzz the hair down as short as I can get it before shaving.  That's a lot more practical than trying to shave off two or three days growth with just a razor blade.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:01:10 AM »
I use the sensor excel blades on the Headblade and I shave every day.  My blades last me about 7-10 days.  But as Red posted, it depends on your hair.

Offline Head Bald Guy

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
While everyone's hair is different, it is more dependent on the type of shave creme, foam, gel that you are using. Blades dull from two reasons; the the "hardness" of the hair and the friction and drag against the skin. You want to soften the hair as much as possible, the hotter the water the better, and you want a shave product that provides the most lubrication, or "slip" as possible to reduce friction. Lotions and foams claim to be moisturizing but only a gel or oil will reduce friction the most.

Most guys here on SBG have described all of the trials and tribulations of what they have attempted to get the smoothest and closest shaves possible. If you haven't tried Bald Guyz Shave Gel, become a fan of Bald Guyz on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bald-Guyz-Grooming-Products/182216401822?ref=nf we will send you a coupon code to try Bald Guyz Shave Gel for Free, and the Flat Rate Shipping of $2.95.

We try to provide products and information to satisfy the needs of those of us who are folliclely challenged.

HBG

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »
You want to soften the hair as much as possible

Excellent post from HBG. I'll add too, that leaving the gel on the head for a bit will help soften the hair, also. I get in the shower, wet my face and head thoroughly, and then lather up before I do anything else. That gives it a few extra minutes to sit on the head before I take a razor to it.
- Eric W-

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »
You need to dump the cartridge razor with it's $3 cartridges and get yourself a Double Edge razor.
Top quality blades can be had for under $25 for a 100.
There's a slight learning curve and you should master shaving your face before you move on to the head.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:58 AM »
+1

DE is the way to go.  I'm working on mastering face shaving.  Pretty soon I'm going to brave, shaving my head.  I have a slim adjustable, a Goodwill, Old style and a Tech.  I really like my Goodwill.  All it needs is one of Bob's handles and it will be perfect.  Now I have to save up some cash to get one.  8)

Enter your email address: