Author Topic: Best to take a break???  (Read 2800 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Best to take a break???
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
I have a question for the more experienced shavers on here.....

I have two "spots" on my head. I call them spots because I am not sure if they are acne, ingrown hairs, or minor cuts (though I doubt this last possibility). Since having re-slyed on 3/7 I've only skipped two days (today included) to see if a break in the shave routine would allow the spots time to heal. There doesn't seem to be much of a change in them.

My question is this, is it better to skip a day here and there to give them time to heal or is it better to slick the melon daily to aid in their healing. I would think that having a clean surface would be better, but I wanted to get some advice. Has anyone been through a similar situation? If so, what did you do.

Note: I have tried treating the spots with neosporin, hydrogen peroxide, and a acne treatment cream - none of them seem to make a lick of difference.

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Best to take a break???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
My opinion: best to take a break (despite the 30-day rule) and let your head get "seasoned" a bit. Skipping a Saturday every now and then confirms it...that Sunday morning shave is awesome slick.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »
I'd look at a couple of things, first where are they, in an area that's pretty much skin--just the last few hairs hanging on.  Then it could be irritation.  If it's in the "shadow" lots of things--astringent helps, as does a break in shaving.  If you wear a hat, remember--hat bands can get pretty nasty with sweat and dirt, and with no hair to hold it off, it could be causing trouble.  Changing your pillowcase--this all goes to the keep it clean and it will be clear.  You may have an allergy to something--it happened to Razor X and some others so they changed to an anti-allergy brand for shave creme.  You just have to try stuff out! 
But big question, over all, aren't you happier now?  It's worth the work to find your way to a clean clear scalp, it really is. 

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
But big question, over all, aren't you happier now?  It's worth the work to find your way to a clean clear scalp, it really is.

I am definitely happier and it is worth it!!! I was in no way implying that if I couldn't figure this out I'd stop. Far from it!!!! It's the sly life for me. O0
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:08:01 PM »
There's no hard and fast rule as to whether or not you should take a break for a few days to let your skin heal.  I've found that my skin gets worse sometimes when I don't shave.  It's just trial and error until you find what works.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
I just took a break and ended with a beautiful "horse-shoe"  I could not believe the people that noticed it

Saturday, in the store (my liquor store) guy said to me: "I didn't think you were that bald in the back" - I snapped right back as he is "bald as a BILLY GOAT"    

I enjoy it though  - -It all part of being BALD and I love it

I think it is good to skip a few days every month and I like to see what I have left that grows (not much)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:54:00 AM by mangosink12572 »

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
I know I can tell if I don't have a clean razor.  I will have zits pop up on my head.  I only shave every other day, so they usually go away in no time.

Enter your email address: