Author Topic: Headlube tricks?  (Read 10408 times)

Offline iBald

• Sly Jr.
Re: Headlube tricks?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
Shower user too and I don't use a mirror. Takes me about as long to shave as it did to wash, rinse, and repeat.

Headslick works best when you add just a little water during the shave to relather it up.

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »
I'm a sink shaver, but I shave right after I get out of the shower, while the noggin is still wet.

I see Headlube in my local Rite-Aid, but I'm really not excited about spending 7 bucks on a bottle of it. :o

They also have the HeadBlade Sport.

I dunno...I'm pretty happy with my Fusion and Aveeno Positively Smooth. :@`
Just say no to rugs!

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
I'm a sink shaver and it takes me awhile, I have some spots that I have to go over and over again, in different directions to get it smooth. I use both my head blade and my fusion, and KOS gel and oil. I do get it real smooth but it just takes me a long time.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 08:19:45 PM »
I'm a sink shaver, but I shave right after I get out of the shower, while the noggin is still wet.

I see Headlube in my local Rite-Aid, but I'm really not excited about spending 7 bucks on a bottle of it. :o

They also have the HeadBlade Sport.

I dunno...I'm pretty happy with my Fusion and Aveeno Positively Smooth. :@`

That 7 bucks you spend is worth it....the bottle should last you for about 50-60 shaves...and thats no joke..you only need like a dime size amount to get a good lather...No kiddin I promise..so go spend it.....best investment you will ever do.

So this is headslick tricks topic...well ya know what...you ever use the headslick to grease up a cake pan?  That stuff is awesome............your cake comes right out of the pan with no mess.....

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 08:32:43 PM »
Well ok, TimmJ. I'm all for trying new things. 7 bucks seems expensive, but if it really lasts that long, it doesn't seem so bad. I'll try the Headlube and see how it goes.  :)
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 08:35:46 PM »
Im tellin ya bro...just try just a small amount at first..i have the type of bottle that has the pump on it..not just the nozzel...so one squirt does it for me.   :o :o  one squirt...umm ok....that just didnt sound right at all..............

Offline bored_doc_sailor

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 05:22:09 AM »
i use an old fashion shave brush & head slick, it really lathers up.  i shave in the shower, nice and hot takes me about 10 minutes. 

Offline Voltaire

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2007, 08:50:58 PM »
I may be a "newbie" here, but I have a few comments or suggestions on this. I love the HeadBlade website and their products (made me feel ok about being bald when I first started shaving my dome), but the HeadLube shaving lotion is a) expensive at ten bucks a pop and b) it evaporates/dries very quickly. So, even if the cost of the little yellow containers doesn't get to you, the drying will if you want to take your time and do a thorough job.

You gotta have a HeadBlade Sport to get shaving, (since the older version has more drag) but:

Try first coating your dome with the scented olive oil or tea tree oil that is sold in the "health and beauty" sections of Wal-Mart or other beauty supply stores. Then you coat your dome with HeadLube or Lubriderm (cheaper) or even the generic Lubriderm (cheaper still); maybe a few drops of water, and we're off to the races.

Obviously, the trick is to keep your dome fairly well lubricated but not so much so that stuff is dripping in your eyes. I've tried baby oil, but it burns my eyes something awful and drips too much. The trick is to use an oil for coating first, then the additional lubricant to protect your dome from too close a shave and then to take your time and not apply too much pressure on the HeadBlade.

If HeadBlade raises their prices or goes out of busines, I've found the Schick Quatro works fairly well but is a little bit more awkward to grip...so hopefully the Sport will be around for a while (or the one I have will continue to work).