Author Topic: Reactions I have gotten  (Read 5729 times)

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
Reactions I have gotten
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:26:22 AM »
Ok, so since I shaved last Saturday, I have only been to one store once. I am disabled and stay home much of the time. but I sent out pictures on my facebook and email to my friends and family.

Brother-in-law: "The coneheads want you back"
Mother:  " I like it a lot, but your father CAN NOT shave his"
Father: "I really like it and want to do mine"  (he barely has any hair anyway)
14 y/o niece:  "you look like and egg"
20 y/o nephew: "holy mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Friends generally like it, at least that's what they are saying to me. Only one doesn't and he is opinionated.
Sly friends:  well duh, they love it. "welcome to the club"
I will post replies when I get out there and really show it off.  Still getting used to it myself.

AKA Gimpy

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
Re: Reactions I have gotten
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »
Sorry for pulling up a 10 year old thread but I had to say this.  I've seen all sorts of hair things out there with different colors and streaks, sparkles but they all had hair but I know a couple of people that have an issue with my bald head so what's with that?  I'm thinking people would more likely accept my do if I dyed it pink or something.  I just don't get it.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »
Sorry for pulling up a 10 year old thread but I had to say this.  I've seen all sorts of hair things out there with different colors and streaks, sparkles but they all had hair but I know a couple of people that have an issue with my bald head so what's with that?  I'm thinking people would more likely accept my do if I dyed it pink or something.  I just don't get it.

Not to mention the facial tattoos and piercings.  I do not have anything against those if guys want them, but why is a shaved hairstyle so unacceptable to the people that seem OK with all the other style choices?
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »
@slybeard , I agree!

@clint902 , those naysayers are just jealous because you look so good!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
I visited my mother for Mother’s Day yesterday.  She gave me grief about my bald head the whole time I was there.  I’ve had a few fellow bald guys I’ve run into compliment my haircut recently!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »
@chuck63 , well known fact that moms are the worst critics of shaved head sons!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »
I visited my mother for Mother’s Day yesterday.  She gave me grief about my bald head the whole time I was there.  I’ve had a few fellow bald guys I’ve run into compliment my haircut recently!
I never gave my mother any grief about her hairstyle which I didn't like it at all.  Yeah, she said my head looked green and a few other things that came to her mind.  But green?  Really?  Now that's the first time I've heard that one. 

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »

@chuck63: I feel your pain. My dad was like that with my buzzcuts. Every trip to see him...there were always comments. When i shaved my head, ironically, he liked it and never said a word again about my ‘haircut’ choice. Your mother will get over it.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »
@Razorhead , it was opposite with my dad, granted it was in the early 70's. I had shoulder length hair, and he was always bugging me to get a crew cut. He passed in 1975, but a few years ago I visited his grave with my head freshly shaved, and I asked him if he liked my haircut now. My mom passed before she saw me shaved, but I know she would have hated it.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 06:28:50 AM »
@Razorhead , it was opposite with my dad, granted it was in the early 70's. I had shoulder length hair, and he was always bugging me to get a crew cut. He passed in 1975, but a few years ago I visited his grave with my head freshly shaved, and I asked him if he liked my haircut now. My mom passed before she saw me shaved, but I know she would have hated it.

@reddog Well thinking about it....my dad hated my crewcuts when i was in my 30s and 40s. He didn’t get why i would buzz it. But as a kid, he was more like your dad. I had should length hair which he hated. He would march me off to the barbershop and I’d leave with hair on the top barely long enough to grab with the sides sandpapered. So i would go from long hair to a military cut.

I guess the acceptable hair journey of our dads was

• As a kid and teenager: crew cut
    As a young working man: business man cut
    As a middle age man: balding head with combover

For our generation:

• As a kid and teenager: whatever you want
    As a young working man: crewcuts and flattops
    As a middle age man: just shave it off
[li][/li]
[/list]

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 07:22:09 AM »
I’m glad to see this forum more active during the past few days.  I enjoy the thoughts and opinions of fellow bald guys. My conversations and reading threads on here have encouraged me to continue to keep my head shaved and realize that I’m not alone in being a Sly Bald Guy!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 08:12:30 AM »
I’m glad to see this forum more active during the past few days.  I enjoy the thoughts and opinions of fellow bald guys. My conversations and reading threads on here have encouraged me to continue to keep my head shaved and realize that I’m not alone in being a Sly Bald Guy!

It is nice to open up the website and see new posts.  I still open it every day, but sometimes several days pass between posts.  I still see a lot of shaved heads.  So I can only assume the since the shaving is more common now, fewer guys need to do searching on the web before they shave.
SlyBeard

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »

My dad had the same haircut from the years I knew him.  He had moderately curly hair so he had his cut big but not long, meaning it didn't trail down his neck and it would puff out over his ears.  Likewise he never understood why I always liked super short haircuts, and of course my mom hates it and periodically reminds me while simultaneously telling me that she never comments on it.

You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 10:13:17 AM »
That reminds me, when I was about 12yo and my dad took me to the barbershop and made me get a short crew cut. The Beatles were just getting popular as was long hair. Now, I was always somewhat opinionated and smart mouthed. My dad was receding in the front with a bald spot on the crown, and I told him "you don't want me to have long hair because you're going bald". Well, that didn't go over too good, but he didn't smack me!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 01:07:52 PM »
That reminds me, when I was about 12yo and my dad took me to the barbershop and made me get a short crew cut. The Beatles were just getting popular as was long hair. Now, I was always somewhat opinionated and smart mouthed. My dad was receding in the front with a bald spot on the crown, and I told him "you don't want me to have long hair because you're going bald". Well, that didn't go over too good, but he didn't smack me!
Yeah, back then a man going bald was a big deal but now I see partially bald guys all over the place.  They don't seem to care much anymore.