Author Topic: The Custom Plus 3 Trick  (Read 32931 times)

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
The Custom Plus 3 Trick
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »
Ok I've been doing this for about a month and recently had a couple of people ask me about it.  I learned that you could scavenge cartridges off of a disposable razor from another member (step forward if it was you, I can't remember who)  But here goes.  I tried every cartridge you could think on the Headblade, but it was more like the Headblood.  I was wanting to try the Gillette Sensor 3 but I wasn't paying 20 bucks for an experiment.  So I found these beauties.

You get four disposables with handles

Push the cartridge to the side and tilt it up

And you take the cartridge off Vuala there you have it!

Put it on your Headblade (Upside down of course)

You even get a cool cover for it!  O0

I have been using these for a month.  I don't know how they compare to the Sensor 3 cartridge, but I get about a weeks use out of them (approximately 5-6 shaves)  Definitely the bees knees of cartridges for the HB in my opinion.  Hope this helps   ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:23:31 AM by Gambrinus »

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
Re: The Custom Plus 3 Trick
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the COST!  I gave around 5 bucks for 4 of these.  The Sensor cartridges are 8 for 20 bucks.  I'm not too good at math but if I'm not mistaken that is half the cost  >:D

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »
Thanks for the pic tutorial!

Have you ever tried the knock-off Sensor carts from Dollar General or places like those? They're much cheaper than the actual brand...usually less than $2 a box of 5.  Personna's version usually runs about $4 for 10. I've never used either, but have tried both brands as Atra carts and think they work just as well as the name brand Gillette ones for much less money.
- Eric W-

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
I haven't tried the Personnas and as for the DG brand I'm not too stoked by anything with their name.  My wife picked me up some DE blades from there and they were atrocious at best.  I felt like I got screwed and I only paid a dollar for ten.  The Personna ones might be worth a shot.  They don't carry them at my local Wally World though  :'(  The Sensor 3 cartridges are about as close to a Mach 3 for the HB as I have found.

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »
I haven't tried the Personnas and as for the DG brand I'm not too stoked by anything with their name. 
I'm with you on that.  I don't buy much from "Dollar Stores".  If it's not even "good enough" for Wally's, I don't want it.
Thanks for the Custom Plus 3 tip!  I'll have to try it out! O0

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
I forgot to ask, Black HB adapter?  It looks like it in the photo.
Thanks

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
Yep the black one  O0

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
Sweet....definitely gonna try that out.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »
Oh yeah - a definite "must try"!   8)
MikeC

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 05:09:45 AM »
I haven't tried the Personnas and as for the DG brand I'm not too stoked by anything with their name.  My wife picked me up some DE blades from there and they were atrocious at best.

The DG brand of carts is made by Personna (actually ASR) but they may have a cheaper or different coating than the ones labeled Personna. I really don't know.  I will say that I've had the DG DE blades too and feel the same way. Mine were made in Korea- so probably came from Dorco.
- Eric W-

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 05:34:58 AM »
I was using the CVS ATRA Knockoffs, they worked well, and were about $8 for a package of 20, so around 40 cents apiece.  I'm down to my last ten of them, and would love to find a good inexpensive substitute.   

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 06:51:32 AM »
Looking forward to trying this. Thanks for the tip!
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 07:19:06 AM »
Tried that this morning instead of my usual HB Triple or Personna Atra-like replacement.

It's FREAKIN' AWESOME!  That has got to be the best damn blade shave I've ever had!  Very close, and the blade didn't clog even once!!

So very happy!!!

Thanks for the tip!
MikeC

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 07:28:59 AM »
I'll second that.  I picked up some of the Custom 3's on Friday and used them over the weekend.  The shave is closer than the HB triples in my opinion.  Great tip!!!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.  Glad you guys like them as much as I do  O0