Author Topic: HeadBlade Triples vs. Doubles  (Read 20667 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: HeadBlade Triples vs. Doubles
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 11:40:23 PM »
Tom, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  That's interesting to see those adaptors.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 03:27:37 AM »
My triples should arrive any day now and will give them a shot ASAP.  The doubles have been fine, I just thought I'd try something different.  Stay tuned.....

BaldRob

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 08:18:12 AM »
Is it just me or has anyone else out there that uses HB products noticed that the trips don't really work as well as the doubles?

I've using the HB Classic with Atra Plus blades for about three years. I shave every day at the sink before showering. I use HeadSlick, HeadBlade, then follow up with a Fusion.

About two weeks ago, I picked up a HB Sport, just to give it a try. I started with the yellow adapter and the HB triple blade. I gave up after two passes. The blade just went over my head without cutting anything. I also didn't like the feel of the Sport.

I put the yellow adapter and HB triple on the Classic, and gave it another try with my usual routine. I liked the reults. A slightly smoother shave, with less drag than the Atra. I used this setup for the rest of the week.

This weekend I bought a pack of Sensor 3 blades. I switched to the Sensor adapter that came with the Sport (make sure you put it on the right way, one side is marked "front"), and gave it a try. The results were amazing, best shave ever. My head's smooth as glass 8 hours later (I usually get the velcro feel by now).

I'll try it for the rest of the week and see how it goes. If I can get a week's worth of shaves from the Sensor 3 blade, I'll stick with it. I also ordered the Merkur Gillette adapter (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/368690.htm) from http://wwww.classicshaving.com.

Regards -

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom... now if someone would come up with an adaptor for the Fusion!  Fusion + HeadBlade... that would be interesting!

BaldRob

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 08:26:28 AM »
I didn't like the triples at all... brand new blade and adapter and lots of spots missed!  I stick with the Atra Plus blades and get a nice comfortable smoooooooth shave everytime.

One thing to add, is that I'm noticing that I get a closer shave depending on the shaving cream/oil that I use... normal everyday shaves I use HeadSlick, but when I want a super close shave I use shaving oil... normally the KoS Kinexium stuff.  Their Alpha Shaving oil gets very close too, but the Kinexium is the best in my opinion.

Thanks for the info bro.   O0  I think I'm going to check into the gel or oil.  I've noticed the KoS products in stores before but never really paid too close attention to them.  I do know that I saw a couple of different gels by them and there was this real small bottle of some kind of oil from them.  Is the good oil from the KoS the one that is in the real small bottle?  Or do you think the shaving gel from KoS that is in the bigger upside down tube would work just as good?

I've used both types of KoS shaving gel (menthol and non-menthol), KoS alpha shaving oil (typically carried at Wal-Mart), and the Kinexium Shaving Oil (haven't found a retail store yet... only online).  Of all the products, the Kinexium is the best, followed closely by the Alpha Shaving Oil, and third in line would be the shaving gels.  The gels would be equivilent to HeadSlick as far as shave quality goes.

There are two minor issues with either type of oil:
1. You need to keep your head wet when shaving... since I'm a shower shaver, I just duck my head under the shower to get it wet again.

2. The blades do clog somewhat and you need rinse the blade frequently.

I also find that when using oils, I can get 5 - 7 shaves per blade vs. 3 - 4 using the gel or HeadSlick.

Offline iBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 09:44:53 AM »
I gotta go with the Sensor double over the over the HB triple, Atra Plus and Sensor triple. For me it is the closest and the most comfortable. I've been using the KoS Alpha with the HeadSlick and haven't had a nick or any irritation in the two weeks that I've been doing this.

Add a little (very little) throughout the shave and things work like magic.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 10:56:22 AM »
I have to say, I've been using the Personna Tri-flexx triples (generic sensor blades) and have been happy with them.  Though, I have been shaving everyday since using them except for this weekend.  I was in Vegas and took Sunday off from shaving since I didn't have much time to get to the airport after waking up.  This morning when I went to shave with two days growth, versus one day's, I found that the blades were very inadequate.  I had to make 3 passes just to get all of the stubble and I still didn't get a very smooth shave.  I'm thinking that the triple blade concept works well for everyday shavers, but for every other day, it may be better to use double blades.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline iBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 11:45:36 AM »
I used a triflexx last night and it was rough. I could hear the hair being cut but I was nick less. Sensor double works much better on the 2 days growth that I build during the weekends.

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 01:53:11 PM »
I don't like any triple blade that I've tried. I used the Atra blades for about 3 months but recently tried the Sensor Excel blades and they are far superior (in my opinion) to anything else that I've tried. I still use the Atra blade every once in a while just to once again compare it to the Sensor blade.. sensor always comes out on top!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:32:04 PM by The Funnel Weaver »

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »
Also, I've found that I get a longer life out of the Sensor Excel blades. I used to change my blade everyday to every other day and with the sensor blades I get a great shave everyday for about a week!

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »
I just got a Headblade Sport, and just tested it out today. It worked about the same as the double bladed, however, I did notice the drag which was a bit annoying.

btw, smooth again for the first time in about 3 weeks, and it feels super :)

-Aaron

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 04:42:34 PM »
Good to hear it Aaron...
On Topic: Drag Sucks!  @n(
Peace

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 06:44:47 PM »
So my delivery from Headblade arrived today and I was all set to try out my new Triples tomorrow morning so that I could weigh in on this topic but to my chagrin, there were NO blades in my package.... :Xo!

The rest of my order was complete, but no blades.  So I emailed my invoice to HeadBlade and they responded quickly promising to send my Triples out ASAP.  Too bad they are in California and I'm in Maryland.  I guess I'll have to postpone judgement until sometime next week.   :-\

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 07:17:17 PM »
So my delivery from Headblade arrived today and I was all set to try out my new Triples tomorrow morning so that I could weigh in on this topic but to my chagrin, there were NO blades in my package.... :Xo!

The rest of my order was complete, but no blades.  So I emailed my invoice to HeadBlade and they responded quickly promising to send my Triples out ASAP.  Too bad they are in California and I'm in Maryland.  I guess I'll have to postpone judgement until sometime next week.   :-\

Dude, Looking forward to your review.
Peace

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
I have used the HB triples, the HB doubles, the Sensor blades, and the Alta blades.  I personally prefer the Alta blades.  They seem to be smother on the ol melon.  If you guys have a CVS around, look there for generic blades.  I go CVS brand alta blades at 15 for $5 and some change.

jusbnme

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 04:27:01 AM »
I have used the HB triples, the HB doubles, the Sensor blades, and the Alta blades.  I personally prefer the Alta blades.  They seem to be smother on the ol melon.  If you guys have a CVS around, look there for generic blades.  I go CVS brand alta blades at 15 for $5 and some change.

I hear you bro.  At my local Wal-Greens I can get a 15 pack of the atra generics for a little over $5.

Enter your email address: