Author Topic: HeadBlade Triples vs. Doubles  (Read 20535 times)

jusbnme

HeadBlade Triples vs. Doubles
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:00:37 AM »
Is it just me or has anyone else out there that uses HB products noticed that the trips don't really work as well as the doubles?  I just got my first pack of trips in the mail a few days ago and used them last night.  I noticed that it seemed like they tended to drag instead of giving a good smooth shave.  I even had to go over some spots of the dome 2 times to get a good smooth shave going against the grain.  It just seemed strange to me because I thought the trips should perform better.  I noticed that the Atra blades I was using gave a better shave than the trips.  To go even further I noticed the generic Atra blades I got from a local Wal-Mart gave a smoother shave than the trips from HB.  Does anyone else notice this?  It doesn't really bother me at all actually because now I can just save a lot of money.  Instead of paying over $20 after shipping and handling for an 8 pack of HB trips I can go to my local store and get a 10 pack of Atras for around $12.  Actually the generic Atras are only about $5 for a 10 pack.  I just thought it was weird.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: HeadBlade Triples vs. Doubles
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:25:16 AM »
I haven't tried any other blades yet Lance, but I have definitely noticed that I am not getting as close a shave as I did with the very first blade.  I'm having the same trouble, having to go over spots, even against the grain.   With six blades left, I have a while to go before replacing but if this keeps up with the next blade, I'll get some Mach III's and rotate between them.  Your comment is appreciated, I thought I was doing something wrong.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:09:06 AM »
I didn't like the triples, wasn't as smooth, clogged up easily. 

One thing I've noticed, when I have to start going over areas again and again, even with a new blade, it's time to swap the adapter.  The adapter is what keeps the blade close to the head.  I replace mine about every 4 months or so.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

jusbnme

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:29:24 AM »
I haven't tried any other blades yet Lance, but I have definitely noticed that I am not getting as close a shave as I did with the very first blade.  I'm having the same trouble, having to go over spots, even against the grain.   With six blades left, I have a while to go before replacing but if this keeps up with the next blade, I'll get some Mach III's and rotate between them.  Your comment is appreciated, I thought I was doing something wrong.

You know, since you mentioned the Mach 3 I wanted to share another routine I think I'm going to stick with.  Just a little while ago I shaved my head but used some of my old stuff and did a mixture of products I hadn't done before.  I used my oldest Mach 3 I had which is the non-powered one.  I also have a powered Mach 3 I was using before I went to the HeadBlade and it's other products.  As far as what I used to put on the face I used  some Neutrogena Men products I found about a month ago when I was experimenting.  They have come out with a line of shaving products called "Razor Defense."  I used my Razor Defense Shaving Gel to shave the face with the non-powered Mach 3.  Then after shaving the dome and face, both against the grain, I applied some witch hazel with a cotton ball all over the dome and my face.  Especially under the chin on my neck where I tend to be very sensitive.  Then I applied my Neutrogena Razor Defense Post Shave Lotion.  I've said this before but it was the smoothest and most comfortable shave I have had.  The "Razor Defense" line of products from Neutrogena is supposed to have a lot of good ingredients in them to fight razor burn, razor bumps, ingrown hairs, etc...Basically it's supposed to give you a real good shave without all the irritation, which it has done for me.  Then again, every persons body is different so it could work differently for someone else.  But for now I'll swear by it, and I think it's going to be part of my new shaving routine.  I've tried to keep giving the HeadBlade a chance but I guess it's just not for me.  No matter how slow I take it, or no matter what process I use, with the HB I always have some kind of irritation.  Another good thing about the Razor Defense line for Neutro.  is that they have ingredients, in both the shave gel and post lotion, to soften hairs.  It states on the post shave lotion to also apply it before going to bed at night because it will help soften the hairs further while asleep so that you get a better shave in the morning.  Another thing about the old Mach 3 that is non-powered.  I found that it gave a better shave than my powered one.  I know that the powered one claims it vibrates the blades to give a more "smooth" shave but maybe it's working the opposite for me.  Maybe because the blades are vibrating it's actually causing the blades to not get as close.  Almost like they are skipping hairs in some way.  Does anybody have any feedback on any of this?  Sorry to all the hardcore HeadBladers out there.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 12:36:59 PM »
Tell you the truth, my experience with double blades compared to trips, I prefere the trips.  Less Nics and Cuts, and less irritation.  Closer shave also, less pull.  Might just be me.  Might be just the amount of pressure.  Who Knows? ???
Peace

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:22:35 PM »
I didn't like the triples at all... brand new blade and adapter and lots of spots missed!  I stick with the Atra Plus blades and get a nice comfortable smoooooooth shave everytime.

One thing to add, is that I'm noticing that I get a closer shave depending on the shaving cream/oil that I use... normal everyday shaves I use HeadSlick, but when I want a super close shave I use shaving oil... normally the KoS Kinexium stuff.  Their Alpha Shaving oil gets very close too, but the Kinexium is the best in my opinion.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 05:56:04 PM »
I still want to try the Shave oil Rob but can't seem to find it.  Where do you get yours?  Also, would like to know from anyone that has oily skin if they get any kind of acne or pore blockage after using the oil?'
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

jusbnme

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 06:42:02 PM »
I still want to try the Shave oil Rob but can't seem to find it.  Where do you get yours?  Also, would like to know from anyone that has oily skin if they get any kind of acne or pore blockage after using the oil?'

That's what I was worried about also.  I've tried the baby oil once and it worked well but I noticed that it left my dome feeling oily all day.  I stopped for just that reason Paul mentioned.  I was wondering if it would eventually make me start to break out.

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:01:32 AM »
HB sent me a trial pack of the triples and I didn;t care for them at all. It's the casing. I found I needed more pressure to get a close shave and it STILL wasn't as close as the Atra style blades I regularly use.

I love my HB and most of their products, but I think they missed the mark on this one.
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

BaldRob

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

That's what I was worried about also.  I've tried the baby oil once and it worked well but I noticed that it left my dome feeling oily all day.  I stopped for just that reason Paul mentioned.  I was wondering if it would eventually make me start to break out.

Usually walmart and target carry the KoS Alpha Shaving Oil and gel...  It's a small bottle, but you can get a lot of shaves out of it.  I also think that they both carry other shaving oils, but I haven't tried them.

Normally after I shave with oil, I use a little bit of HeadShed (or other cleanser) to clean the oil residue off my scalp and face.  Haven't broken out yet...

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »
Thanks a lot.  Am riding over to Rockford today, will check it out at a decent Walmart, ours here is too small. 

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 01:37:28 PM »
One thing to add, is that I'm noticing that I get a closer shave depending on the shaving cream/oil that I use... normal everyday shaves I use HeadSlick, but when I want a super close shave I use shaving oil... normally the KoS Kinexium stuff.  Their Alpha Shaving oil gets very close too, but the Kinexium is the best in my opinion.

I find that the shave depends alot apon the shave cream used as well.  I started using HeadSlick, and that manages to not clog the Razor as much as the Foam does, the blades last longer, and to tell you the truth that in combination with HeadShed is just a Better shave. 
Peace

jusbnme

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 06:46:40 PM »
I didn't like the triples at all... brand new blade and adapter and lots of spots missed!  I stick with the Atra Plus blades and get a nice comfortable smoooooooth shave everytime.

Thanks for the info bro.   O0  I think I'm going to check into the gel or oil.  I've noticed the KoS products in stores before but never really paid too close attention to them.  I do know that I saw a couple of different gels by them and there was this real small bottle of some kind of oil from them.  Is the good oil from the KoS the one that is in the real small bottle?  Or do you think the shaving gel from KoS that is in the bigger upside down tube would work just as good?

Offline Tom.Net

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
Is it just me or has anyone else out there that uses HB products noticed that the trips don't really work as well as the doubles?

I've using the HB Classic with Atra Plus blades for about three years. I shave every day at the sink before showering. I use HeadSlick, HeadBlade, then follow up with a Fusion.

About two weeks ago, I picked up a HB Sport, just to give it a try. I started with the yellow adapter and the HB triple blade. I gave up after two passes. The blade just went over my head without cutting anything. I also didn't like the feel of the Sport.

I put the yellow adapter and HB triple on the Classic, and gave it another try with my usual routine. I liked the reults. A slightly smoother shave, with less drag than the Atra. I used this setup for the rest of the week.

This weekend I bought a pack of Sensor 3 blades. I switched to the Sensor adapter that came with the Sport (make sure you put it on the right way, one side is marked "front"), and gave it a try. The results were amazing, best shave ever. My head's smooth as glass 8 hours later (I usually get the velcro feel by now).

I'll try it for the rest of the week and see how it goes. If I can get a week's worth of shaves from the Sensor 3 blade, I'll stick with it. I also ordered the Merkur Gillette adapter (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/368690.htm) from http://wwww.classicshaving.com.

Regards -

Tom

jusbnme

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 08:48:19 PM »
Thanks for the info Tom, and welcome to the forum bro. 

Enter your email address: