Author Topic: Left it too long..  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Hawkerz

• Learning the way of Sly
Left it too long..
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
So, I shaved my head in September and was pretty impressed. Reactions were kind of mixed so I let it grow back, and in that time started a decent job. I've kept it buzzed but I'm really nervous about going all the way again. What do you all think? Been through similar issues?

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Left it too long..
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 05:43:34 PM »
How closely buzzed is your hair now? I used to clip my hair with no guard and when I first shaved it off completely, no one even noticed!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Hawkerz

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
My current haircut, it's a bit too long to go straight for the shave!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
Why don't you do it gradually? Go a little shorter each time you cut your hair until you are finally sly.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »
I was in that same spot once. I grew my hair back into a flattop for a couple years. I got tired of it so I had the barber buzz it down to a clipper shave. It seemed word at first to see a bald noggin again but I was happy to go back to the next level and take the razor out. Been shaving ever since for the last four years. I love shaving. It's a huge convenience.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »
I did pretty much the same thing you did man. I first shaved mine last December for a concept look since I was on break. When friends and family saw me, I got mixed reactions. They didn't see me clean shaven but with a little stubble. I grew back what hair I had left. After a few months I shaved it all off again with the help of SBG and stayed bald. Everyone liked it this time since

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 01:53:46 AM »
Why don't you do it gradually? Go a little shorter each time you cut your hair until you are finally sly.

I think that this is great advice.  This ought to get you where you want to go.   

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 05:25:03 AM »
I agree with Mike E P.

I've never let my hair grow back since I started shaving, but as I went sly, I buzzed shorter and shorter each week. My clippers had an adjustable blade, so that I could go in between sizes.  Went from #1 long, to medium to short, then #0.5 long, medium, short, then no guard long, medium, short.  It really looked bald, but felt fuzzy.

When I took the razor to my head, hardly anyone noticed. Took family members (that live in my house) three days to notice.

If that's too much messing around, but shave it. Smooth just feels so good.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »
I get your concern about being in a good job, worrying about what people will say.  However, your buzz is short enough that people already probably would describe you as having a shaved head (you don't, but people can be so imprecise about this sort of thing!).  People may say something, but I suspect it will be far less than you think.  And your company is going to be concerned about whether you are an asset to the company.  Shaved heads may be a little bit unusual, but they really are pretty commonplace, they are clean, presentable and well-groomed.  I think you look better bald than buzzed.  So I say just go for it, stick to your guns, and enjoy the smooth side of life.  Of course, easing into the look gradually is certainly an option, but I sense you would prefer just to go for it.  Nothing wrong with listening to your inner voice here!

Offline jgnv

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
I think you shoud do it! The bald head is good man!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »
To be quite honest, I think your profile pic with the bald head and beard suits you much better.

I went with a buzz for about a year before I shaved it completely.   It did help get comfortable with the change and when I finally went sly, I got nothing but compliments from it.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Hawkerz

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, really helpful. I'm gradually getting there, buzzed it shorter this week. Slowly getting there! 

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »
Take your time, sir; but as Tobler stated, your avatar pic makes it look as though the razor already is in use. It is not that much of a step now to completely smooth.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »
I agree with DOC - the bald with facial hair is a better look for you.  So, I suggest do the gradual buzz a little shorter each week while at the same time you grow some facial hair, then take it razor smooth.
SlyBeard

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
Glad on you're on your way back to smooth, bit by bit!