Author Topic: Finally took the plunge!  (Read 3137 times)

Offline PG723

• Learning the way of Sly
Finally took the plunge!
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »
And love the way I look! Went to a great barber for a straight edge shave as my first time, he was great. There was still some stubble left, as he didn't go against the grain because he was worried how my scalp would react since I've never shaved my head before. The stubble grows pretty fast so I don't think I can go longer than 2 days without shaving. I don't have too much time in the morning to do a wet shave and my skin is gets easily irritated with razors, so he suggested the Andis Profoil Lithium clipper which I LOVE. Cuts close, feels smooth and is super fast so I've been using it every day. But I have a few questions.

Is there any scalp prep that needs to be done? I usually quickly shave after the gym before I shower. Then shampoo/cleanse my scalp and continue with my normal routine. Should I be doing it after the shower/when I dry off? Should I be using an after shave? Anything you guys can recommend? The first time, I butchered the back of my neck, crazy razor burn but I'm sure I'll get better with practice. Any other pointers or tips you can give me for a first time shaver? Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:09:25 PM by PG723 »

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
Re: Finally took the plunge!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 06:51:39 AM »
Hi, I'm relatively new to head shaving as well! I use a Panasonic Arc 4 wet/dry shaver. I use it in the shower and clean the dome before shaving it wet (they say the hot water helps soften the hair). I do shave every day and had some razor burn as well. I use Witch Hazel to treat razor burn and it does a really good job for me. I just put some on a cotton ball and run it over the razor burn area a couple times a day. You can get Witch Hazel pretty much anywhere, I got mine at a Meijer in the pharmacy.

I found some 30 day shaving challenge which helped me. I made sure I shaved every day for 30 days. I think it helps get the dome used to the process. The longest I have gone without shaving is 3 days and didn't have a problem with it.

Good luck!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Finally took the plunge!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:40:03 AM »
And love the way I look! Went to a great barber for a straight edge shave as my first time, he was great. There was still some stubble left, as he didn't go against the grain because he was worried how my scalp would react since I've never shaved my head before. The stubble grows pretty fast so I don't think I can go longer than 2 days without shaving. I don't have too much time in the morning to do a wet shave and my skin is gets easily irritated with razors, so he suggested the Andis Profoil Lithium clipper which I LOVE. Cuts close, feels smooth and is super fast so I've been using it every day. But I have a few questions.

Is there any scalp prep that needs to be done? I usually quickly shave after the gym before I shower. Then shampoo/cleanse my scalp and continue with my normal routine. Should I be doing it after the shower/when I dry off? Should I be using an after shave? Anything you guys can recommend? The first time, I butchered the back of my neck, crazy razor burn but I'm sure I'll get better with practice. Any other pointers or tips you can give me for a first time shaver

are use the Ennis with your profile at work if you’re using that razor you cannot use in the shower make sure the  skin is both clean and dry before shaving.   One trick I use if the razor seems to be pulling along the skin is to use some talcum powder.  The powder both dries any vskin olis
and acts like a million ball bearings beNeath the foils.  The razor will glide across the head and cut much cleaner