Author Topic: Should I finally take the plunge? 22 year old here. Very nervous  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Yankees123

• Learning the way of Sly
Okay so i've been balding since I was about 16, have been doing the rogaine for a while but it definitely has run its course. I tried propecia for a little but noticed some sexual side effects and immediately stopped using.

It's been quite noticeable for a while now and since college is over (i'm 22 now), i've been contemplating at least buzzing my head down. I'm sick of being the "hat guy" and having to worry about things that i'm sure everyone is aware of (going in the pool, taking the hat off etc.) I unfortunately have a big head, and am not sure how it would look. I have included a pic that actually makes my hair look a lot thicker than it really is (wasn't intentional lol). The balding stems from the crown.

Eventually I figured I would always just fully shave it off but that is quite the step to take...

What do you guys think? How would it look on me? I would really appreciate the opinions. Hate the fact that these are the types of things that kind of run my life!

Thanks!!

PS- Would not be opposed to shaving my beard

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Should I finally take the plunge? 22 year old here. Very nervous
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
Welcome to SBG.

Nice eyes (It's ok to do that).

For a guy balding naturally at 22 ... being naturally bald is inevitable.  Embrace it and avoid the 'thinning' look and dragging it out.  Go for it. Take control and shave your head.  It's very stylish these days. Around here I see young bald guys every day. 

Just clear the top. Put on a smile and present the world with confidence.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
Go for it and shave it off. I'd leave the beard, though. I think that combo would look good on you.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
It's normal to be nervous and apprehensive about going sly, but realize that it's only a haircut and if you don't like it, your hair will grow back pretty quickly.

That said, I think you'll look good.  Despite what you think, your head doesn't look large or out of proportion.  Remember we all tend to be harder on ourselves than others are.

So, shave your head and keep the beard.  See how you like it and give everyone including yourself a few weeks to adjust to the new look.  I think you'll find it's a keeper.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:06:46 PM »
Welcome! Head Yes, Beard no.... (but that's just my opinion)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:38:12 AM »
If it is bothering you to the extent that it is effecting your life, then try buzzing it shorter and shorter to see what you think. Do don't necessarily have to immediately go for the full head shave, as it can  be a bit too dramatic for some.

I agree with the others about you keeping the beard though, suits you.

Oh, and welcome BTW!

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:08:15 AM »
Welcome mate,

Why not give it a go!

Keep the beard IMO :)

Good luck!
Lynchy

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:43:28 AM »
I would buzz it short and then shave later.  As said shaven look pretty common and accepted these days.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »
Welcome to this great forum of guys and gals !

Take it in steps.  Shorter buzzes so you and everyone adjusts.  Then by summer go for the sly look.  You will love it and wonder why you waited.

A friend of mine's son (about your age) took Rogaine for 3 yrs. and saw nothing improve so he shaved it smooth and he's getting married soon.

Good Luck !  Keep us posted !

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
I think you should give it a try.  I love the beard, so I think you should keep it IMHO.  Can we see your eyes in the next Pic?

Offline VOT

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:01 AM »
Keep the beard and buzz down the head. You will be surprised at how quickly it grows back if you dont like it

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
I think most of the guys here will encourage you to shave it sooner rather than later, and agree that it will look good shaved.  The sly look is quickly becomming popular with younger guys, even if they are not balding.

As others have said, if you don't like it, it will grow back.  But try to make it at least 30 days before you give up on it.  It takes about that long (for most) to get over the shock of seeing yourself shaved.

And yes, keep the beard.  It helps to keep a beard, ether a full beard or a goatee, with a shaved head.  Since you have a full beard now, I suggest you stay with the full beard, so you don't make too many changes at once.  Once the sly look feels "normal" to you, then you could experiment with different facial hair styles.
SlyBeard

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
Hi, Yankees123!

Welcome to this great site, friend.

I recommend that you have your hair buzzed really short to begin with & keep the beard but trim it a little. Keep the hair buzzed real short for about a month or so..... this will help you to see what you are going to look like being bald - you will suit it, believe me.

Next, after a month or so of keeping your hair buzzed very short go to the barbers and ask for your head to be shaved smooth. You will love it. Guaranteed.

All the best.
BaldBill

Offline Yankees123

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »
I appreciate all the advice everyone. Sorry for being all sketchy with the whited out eyes, this is still a very sensitive subject for me.

I'm going to go to the barber next week and ask to be buzzed down to a 1 and go from there. I might make them fade it into my beard (with the beard length being much shorter) and see how that looks. I don't wanna waste my 20's worrying about this all the time.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
Welcome Yankees 123.  Your last comment sounds like the right thing to do.  I am not going to suggest that you immediately shave the head, that's you ultimate decision.  But remember, do what you feel is best for you. 
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am