Author Topic: Considering regrowing my hair  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Considering regrowing my hair
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:12:50 PM »
I've been shaving my head in a regular basis since August 1999, but I have been considering regrowing. It's been bugging me for a while and here is a dumb reason: there's this weird (staged) show called Storage Wars that holds me whenever it appears on my TV. I hate that. Anyway one of the acto...er... real people had the shaved head goatee thing going and it looked good. Then around the time I started considering regrowing since hair I stumble upon the show and he had a nice fade with a short top. I thought it looked great and it kept the idea alive, but the urge kinda faded (no pun intended)

Then last night I saw a bald acquaintance who had a grown short faded haircut and now I want to do it again. I'm also curious to see just how gray my hair is after this 19 year absence.

And I'm not talking about growing something big or doing "hipster hair" but I'd like to try a faded haircut with an inch or two on the top.

I know it's a "just do it and if you don't like it then shave it of again" thing, but I DEPLORE the idea of being in the spotlight. If I do this it will bring endless annoying comments and other annoyances. I also don't like the idea of having to go get it cut because cutting head hair is far more difficult than cutting a beard.

I also got the urge to perm my beard just to puff it up, and to get that middle-age earring I said I would get once I hit 40 which happened 3 years ago. I don't know why I'm looking to do this, maybe I'm g finally getting that mid-life crisis.

You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Considering regrowing my hair
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:08:39 AM »
If it’s something you want to do, go for it.  Just don’t be surprised if yiur hair is considerably thinner than it was the last time you saw it.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »
I did it, and after 24 years, realized I am totally bald!

What are you doing with the beard these days?

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »
Mid life crisis most likely. But we all go through it .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »
I've started growing my hair back more times than I can count. Sometimes I make it 6 to 8 weeks of more. Because I get the dermatitis mostly on the sides and back, I've been growing the top and keeping the sides and back shaved. It's kind of a military look, but at some point I start thinking it looks silly on a guy my age. It is fun taking the clippers to it though.

So, to for it Rusty. Enjoy the process, it only takes 2 weeks to get a good buzzcut going. Everytime you see someone with a shaved head, you might get the urge to shave. I guess that is called shaved head envy.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »
If it’s something you want to do, go for it.  Just don’t be surprised if yiur hair is considerably thinner than it was the last time you saw it.
I don't think that's going to happen. When my hair gets to stubble length it is like 80 grit sandpaper across the whole thing. Even the crown feels just as dense. The times it has reached since length, like when I cut my head a few years ago, it looks evenly thick over the top.

I do feel a little bad knowing I have a full head of hair and shave it when so many went bald because genetics forced them.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 12:08:58 AM »
I did it, and after 24 years, realized I am totally bald!

What are you doing with the beard these days?
I seem to remember that.
The beard has only had a few minor trims mainly to keep the shape.  I don't know the length but it's as long as two fists with a little sticking out.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:19:18 AM »
Magoo: I really do think it's a mid life crisis; I've even started to consider getting earrings again!

Reddog: I've ever thought of a military cut as young guy's haircut, but I guess it makes sense because the area that goes bald first is the part most needed for that style. I guess too many old guys literally can't wear that hairstyle.

And, yes, bald envy is a thing. When I had to grow our my hair because of an injury I always got envious of done guy with a perfectly slick head when I had a week of stubble on the top.  While pondering on this I saw some guy on the TV with a perfect bald head and thought dammit! I can't do both!

Both bald head and beards seem like an accomplishment and I think that's where the envy comes from; i.e. it's something the guy consciencely worked to achieve. On the other hand a bald face and basic haircut just seem so ordinary. When I get envy for either it's like I feel like they worked to accomplish something that I was to lazy to do.  LOL It's weird logic but it works in my head.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:56:48 AM »
And I am regrowing my hair because I am getting a hair system.

It feels weird. I can actually feel it rustle in the wind. Growing for three months, and probably another 3 more before I get it cut.

:)

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
A lot of guys hate hair piece systems due to the maintenance and end up shaving because they don't want to be bothered anymore. In curious as to why after so many years of shaving are you going the other way?

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
It started as a lark, was going to get a wig, as a joke. But, as I started looking into getting something, more realistic, I started to think about being bald for 24 years. When I shaved my head, I had a full head of hair (mostly).

Now, after 24 years, I am completely bald, with no options other than messing with my facial hair. I never liked my own, natural hair, and never really "dug" the hairstyles of the 70s, 80s and early 90s (when I had hair). I usually buzzed it.

Now, there are some really cools styles out there, and even grey hair is cool.

So, I decided to try it. I got a trip to Madrid, Spain, for the measurements and secondary consultation. Will go back for the "installation". If I like it, I will keep with it, if I don't... then I toss it.

I am not trying to fool anyone into thinking that it's my real, growing hair. It's just an artifice. Like a woman uses makeup, hair extensions, and breast implants.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:51:03 AM »
Interesting, I'll be interested in seeing what you get!
The hairweave thing reminds me of the phrase we have at work: tumbleweave. It's a word for clumps of weave on the floor. 😄

Add for me I'm about 5 days into my hair regrowth. I feel like those guys in No Shave November who stop shaving for a few days and think they have a beard lol I doubt I'll last 2 week's.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 06:19:21 AM »
It will take awhile Rusty. I hate the buzzcut look on me when I grow it out, with the white hair, it looks like a giant Qtip. I usually can shape it up after 2 to 3 weeks.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:39 AM »
Giant  Qtip.    :*))
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 07:16:24 AM »
Interesting, I'll be interested in seeing what you get!
The hairweave thing reminds me of the phrase we have at work: tumbleweave. It's a word for clumps of weave on the floor. 😄

Add for me I'm about 5 days into my hair regrowth. I feel like those guys in No Shave November who stop shaving for a few days and think they have a beard lol I doubt I'll last 2 week's.

Tumbleweave! What do you do for work???

Ya, I will post pics, for sure.

S.

Enter your email address: