Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Metalhead Sasquatch

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Speak friend, and enter.
Need some advice
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:10:00 PM »
Hello,

Foil or rotary? The back of my neck is absolutely ravaged every three to four days that I shave my noggin (only been shaving for about a month). I do a pre-shave lotion (afta), dry shave, shower and done. Less products the better so I don't wet shave. Other than using an old hand-me-down Braun shaver that's probably partly to blame, I'm wondering if I should ask Santa for a rotary instead of a new foil this holiday season? Any advice? What foil or rotary brands/models do ya'll recommend?
Thanks!

Back rolls?

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »
Hi, I would suggest 2 things.

First is using witch hazel after you shave to help reduce the irritation. It took some time before my scalp became adjusted to foil shaving.

Second, could you possibly shave more often? I know that personally, if I go more than 2 days without shaving, the razor pulls the hair a lot more than if I shave every day. I think that foil shavers by nature prefer a shorter hair to trim. This could also be causing some extra irritation.

JR

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
I use a Remington 3 head foil shaver. I've had it for 10 or 12 years, and it's still going strong! I just replace the screens and blades about every 18 months at around $14.00. Whatever you end up buying, check the cost of replacement parts.

It gets you ALMOST as close as a razor, and never any irritation.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 03:23:38 PM »
i am a barber and almost all of the barbersI know use a foil shaver, either the Andis, the Wahl, or some use the Babylis.  I only know two guys who use the Braun.

The Andis Lithium pro- foil and the Wahl 5star both come in rechargeable models that have lithium batteries whoch seem to rin weeks without recharging.  They are bot very inexpensive compared to anything else on the market  — and — the great thing is that when the blades get worn you can buy a replacement head for them that comes with both a new foil and new blades for only about $39!

my tips for using a foil razor are:
- make sure your skin is both clean abd DRY. Don’t use an electric “preshave” product because they are oily and will make the foil drag (and will clog the foil)
- after the first pass,  dust your skin with a high quality powder,  (I use the regular “Clubman” barber powder because my customers enjoy the old fashioned “barbershop” scent that ithas.  The powder does two things:  First, it dries the skin so thst the razor doesn’t drag/clog, and second; it acts like a million tiny little “ball bearings” for the razor to roll on.  It really reduces “pulling” of the hairs and provides a baby smooth shave.

after shaving be sure to throughly clean the freshly shaved skin!  You don’ want any old skin cells, hairs, powder, sebum, etc left sitting over those wide open follicles!  They will be prone to irritation, and even infection, if you do!  I always use a skin cleanner such as “Seabreeze” which has up to 3% Salicylic acid, or Witch Hazel extract.  I find that both of these are superior to using straight alcohol.

Offline Metalhead Sasquatch

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Speak friend, and enter.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 08:35:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for your tips and input. I have a much better sense of what I should be doing/trying!
Back rolls?