Author Topic: Thinking of Hair Club For Men? Maybe this will change your mind...  (Read 74395 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
This is a post by Sooner Steve in another thread, but it's such a great post it deserves to be it's own topic!

--------------------------------------------------------

I know where you are.  I wore a "system" for 23 years from age 20 to 43.  I was a slave to it.  I know your fear.  I was very scared and worried about what everyone would say.  I was sure THEY would be shocked when I shaved it clean.

Turns out, I WAS THE ONE WHO WAS SHOCKED. 

I was shocked to learn that I had not been fooling anyone with my "system". 

I was shocked to learn that most everyone had wanted me to get rid of it for years. 

I was shocked to learn that no one cared that I did not have hair.

I was shocked to learn that I felt bether about myself once I got rid of the "system."

I was shocked to learn that my self confidence shot straight through the roof.

I was shocked to learn that my hair, or the lack thereof, did not define me. 

I was shocked to learn that I was happier without it.

I also had a huge plan of losing the system, getting a tan on vacation, etc.  I discussed it with my wife.  She was on board.  I talked to my kids - age 10 & 14.  I had a plan.  I was ready.  Then my 10 year old said "Dad, why don't you just go Friday to the barber, cut what's left and go to work on Monday."  Sounded like a great idea and that is what I did.  Even took him with me.

We still laugh about my elaborate plan to go SLY and how a 10 year old was smarter dear ol' dad and had a better plan.

I realize this is a long post but want you guys to know I understand where you are.  These guys on here were WONDERFUL help to me.  They gave me the same advice they are giving you.

TRUST ME - JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Slynito

Re: Thinking of Hair Club For Men? Maybe this will change your mind...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Very powerful, Tyler. Thanx! O0

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
Good for him, good for you T.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
Nice-y :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
I'm so glad I never deluded myself with rugs plugs or drugs.  Always a good reminder.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »
What a grat post. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline HIKER48

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
Tyler:

Word for Word, that's my story. Went to HCm at 22, now 40 and dying to take it off. I am a slave to this god dam thing as well. I won't deny that it has helped sometimes and at points it has made me happier. But for the most part, it has been an expensive pain in the but. Always wondering if it looks right, have to mess with it in the morning, having problems with it, worrying if people notice it, etc, etc, etc...

I want to be done with it. My wife says that she is cool with it and my son is jsut about 5 and would like to get rid of it, before he starts realizing! I like to do alot of outdoor stuff and lugging this dam thing around, has taken the fun out of that kind of stuff!

My problem is lack of balls! The fear of making a change this drastic. The fear thiat I will take it off and look like a serial killer. And the fear that I will love it and then realzed I just wasted 20 years of my life, being a sissy.

I like making the plan idea. But if you have any other suggestions or words of encouragement, I would appreciate it.  HK48...

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
Glad I never followed through...was considering it in my early 20s, but realized I had to hold off because of my military career.  Thought it would be too much to deal with...

...glad that gave me time to "mature" regarding this subject.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
But for the most part, it has been an expensive pain in the but. Always wondering if it looks right, have to mess with it in the morning, having problems with it, worrying if people notice it, etc, etc, etc...
Good Instincts! O0
My problem is lack of balls! The fear of making a change this drastic. The fear thiat I will take it off and look like a serial killer. And the fear that I will love it and then realzed I just wasted 20 years of my life, being a sissy.
Remember your first dive from the high board?  Your first attempt to kiss the girl?  Your first date?  Well it's no worse than that--quit building it up and take it off--set a good example for your son because he may have the same genetics.  After 30 days yes, like a lot of us, you'll wonder why you waited so long--so why wait any longer?  Clipper, hot shower, later, new blade--you'll be free.  Get on with life, stop paying HCM good money--Jesse James used a gun!  Then take the wife out for a good dinner--and don't put it on your head anymore.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
And the fear that I will love it and then realzed I just wasted 20 years of my life, being a sissy.

From my point of view that says it all.  Your wife is supportive, a real plus, so get it off and shave what remains if any and be proud to show off the real you.  It's very liberating as many of us have found here - although I never ever considered a rug.
Roger

Offline DAVIS30

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »
I and many others here have been through the same thing and had similar thoughts. If you hate it, get rid of it. I got rid of it 2 and a half months ago after wanting to for years. I've never had one regret since. It isn't easy, but the fact that you came to this site and posted looking for inspiration show you are ready. Don't worry about balls and use your brain. WHy shell out all that money for something you hate. Spend that money on your 5 year old.

Offline jsbaldy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
I know how you feel.  i just released my hairpiece after 25 years.  Sooner Steve is right on.  I am still a little
nervous at times but think I am hooked on how smooth I want my head to be.  People are still surprised by
me removing the hair.  If your family is ok  with removing the  piece then go for it.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »

I like making the plan idea. But if you have any other suggestions or words of encouragement, I would appreciate it.  HK48...

Here's the truth:

- You've already wasted 20 years of your life on this issue.  Don't waste anymore.

- For 99% of people this will be a non-issue.  They won't even comment.  Heck, they probably won't notice because they're too engulfed in their own fears.  For those that do notice, they will either think, "I wish I had the balls to be that bold" or will comment negatively because they realize they just got one up'd and need to make themselves feel better.

- Lastly, in a few minutes, hours, days, weeks and months most people will have forgotten that you even had hair when they met you.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline BalDon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:16 AM »
I'm a 40 year old man with shattered confidence, savings and direction.   I have been an HCM member for 10 years and have been working on the courage, and excuse to free myself from this horrible burden that I have put on myself and my family.   

This board has achieved what no one yet has done, in that I finally can see the shared life story that I have with so many other good men that fell for the illusion of security that comes with HCM.

You have convinced me to do this! 

I share the same fears and reservations about the "reveal" at work, and the experiences that ya'll have posted have shown me that it may not be anywhere near as bad as I fear, and even if it is, it will be short lived.   

I can do this!

I also have a second reason for this life change (apart from the massive expense).....
My Mom is dying of cancer.  It will definitely take her in the coming months.  She is trying a new experimental Chemo that will cause her hair to fall out.

My grand and secret "plan" is to start growing a goatee now (something I have never made it past 3 weeks trying) and right before we visit my folks for Thanksgiving week, shave it off, go to a barber and have it done right the first time, and then surprise Mom with our "shared" new look.   

I see it as a dual reward.  Honoring my Mom and showing solidarity with her plight, as well as freeing myself of this burden that I have afflicted myself with.

Now.....FEED ME COURAGE!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »
You don't need us to feed you courage.  Just do it to show solidarity with your mom.  I'm very sorry to hear about her illness and wish you and your entire family the best.

Now, shave that head!!   :x!