Author Topic: Do I have the right head shape to go buzz cut/bald?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline kotaboy1349

• Learning the way of Sly
Do I have the right head shape to go buzz cut/bald?
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:11:53 AM »
So its a little hard to tell but my hair is receding in the front. I am considering shaving it/ getting a buzz cut but I'm not sure if I have the right head shape for it, any advice? I'm 26 years old, I look younger than I am, the pictures I took are crappy quality but the should give you an idea of what I'm working with. I couldn't figure out how to get them from my phone to here because my email was acting up so I'm posting a link.
https://ibb.co/zVTP9xB
https://ibb.co/Y8CcBZ8

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Do I have the right head shape to go buzz cut/bald?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »
So its a little hard to tell but my hair is receding in the front. I am considering shaving it/ getting a buzz cut but I'm not sure if I have the right head shape for it, any advice? I'm 26 years old, I look younger than I am, the pictures I took are crappy quality but the should give you an idea of what I'm working with. I couldn't figure out how to get them from my phone to here because my email was acting up so I'm posting a link.
https://ibb.co/zVTP9xB
https://ibb.co/Y8CcBZ8
You're prob only Norwood 2, so your receding is hardly noticeable.

But your head shape is perfectly normal from your photos. You could easily buzz/shave and look good. Your got tones of options.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
Head Shape is the most common concern guys have for going bald.  It is almost never an issue, in fact, I do not recall ever seeing a guys where it was actually an issue.  The truth is, our head shapes are all different, full of bony ridges and such.

Sounds like you are as I was.  I had made up my  years before I start thinning that I would rather shave than have thinning and/or balding hair.  So I decided that as soon as I was able to notice the thinning I would be proactive and shave it.  That is what I did and most of the people I know never knew I was thinning.  Years later, I have very little hair on top.  I can also tell you that if you already are thinking about it, you are likely going to do it, so it is just a question of when.

You can easily do as you suggested and go with a shorter buzz.  Take your time and just go progressively shorter until you are ready to shave.  Or, you still have good looking hair, so you can maintain what you have and decide to do it at a later time as MPB sets in.
SlyBeard

Offline kotaboy1349

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
Thank you guys so much, you've really given great advice and I have a lot more confidence now. Thank you! It's so true that I've already decided to do it, I am just worried I'll look puke ugly lol.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Thank you guys so much, you've really given great advice and I have a lot more confidence now. Thank you! It's so true that I've already decided to do it, I am just worried I'll look puke ugly lol.
give it 30 days. after that, you'll likely never want hair again. it's one of the most liberating things I've even done for myself.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
The most common worries are head shape and other people’s comments/opinions. Very few guys have badly shaped heads, so don’t worry about that. Other people’s comments don’t matter since it’s your head and hairstyle.

Try the 30 day rule to give yourself and others time to adjust. After the initial shock of a completely new appearance, you’ll become addicted to being bald.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 11:23:03 PM »
Your head has a very nice shape.  And like the guys said; you don't "have" to shave your head; but if "choose" to shave your head I think that you will rock the style just great! 

But remember, if you do shave your head do yourself a HUGE favor by making a commitment to the 30 day rule.

Even if you decide to grow some or all of your hair back after 30 days you will have options!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 11:14:31 AM »
Wow, you still have most of your hair, so me thinks you just want to experience a shaved head. Nothing wrong with that, I'm bald by choice and love it.

Your head shape is fine. Go ahead and shave it and see what it's like. If you like it, keep shaving for 30 days to get used to it. I can tell you there is nothing better than the feel of a completely smooth bald head! It can become addicting, and very enjoyable.

There is only one way to find out if you like being a baldie, and that's to get out the razor. Then you become a member of an exclusive club, the bald brotherhood.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
Wow, you still have most of your hair, so me thinks you just want to experience a shaved head. Nothing wrong with that, I'm bald by choice and love it.

Your head shape is fine. Go ahead and shave it and see what it's like. If you like it, keep shaving for 30 days to get used to it. I can tell you there is nothing better than the feel of a completely smooth bald head! It can become addicting, and very enjoyable.

There is only one way to find out if you like being a baldie, and that's to get out the razor. Then you become a member of an exclusive club, the bald brotherhood.
I'm wondering if MPB never occurred in nature, I wonder if shaved bald would even be a thing? Would it be rare, or would some dudes make a fashion statement. And I wonder how rare it might be?   Okay, I can't sleep and it's late—that's why I wrote this.  LOL LOL

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 06:03:21 AM »
Oh, I think there would definitely be guys shaving their heads of there were no mpb. It would only take one guy to hate his hair and shave it off. Other guys would like it and try a baldie haircut, on on, and on.

That's sort of how I ended up going bald by choice. I intended to try a one time buzzcut, and the night before, I was at a city festival, and saw least a dozen guys with totally shaved heads. My next door neighbor was one of them with a fresh shave, so I asked him about headshaving. The next morning I took the clippers to my head and hated the buzzcut, so I got the razor out and shaved my head. While shaving, all I could think about was how long it would take to grow it back. That was over 6 years ago, and still shaving!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 10:31:47 AM »
Oh, I think there would definitely be guys shaving their heads of there were no mpb. It would only take one guy to hate his hair and shave it off. Other guys would like it and try a baldie haircut, on on, and on.

That's sort of how I ended up going bald by choice. I intended to try a one time buzzcut, and the night before, I was at a city festival, and saw least a dozen guys with totally shaved heads. My next door neighbor was one of them with a fresh shave, so I asked him about headshaving. The next morning I took the  to my head and hated the buzzcut, so I got the razor out and shaved my head. While shaving, all I could think about was how long it would take to grow it back. That was over 6 years ago, and still shaving!
wow. cool story.  for me it was a lot different. the summer before my last year in college I HAD to do something. Rest is history. And when I went back to school, some of my class mates didn't recognize me at 1st. I STILL remember that.