Author Topic: Tempted but Scared  (Read 3204 times)

Offline OhCharles

• Learning the way of Sly
Tempted but Scared
« on: April 19, 2019, 07:57:29 AM »
Hi Guys
I present to you my situation.
I 'm 28 y/o from Italy, started balding recently, but I've always had a high hairline.. now it got worse and really rapidly! I am so tempted to shave everything off but when i try to picture me without hair I feel soooo ugly... truth is that to feel confident in my skin i've always relied on my hair  and now that I am losing it i am super self consciuous...

At the moment I rock a comb over from back to front (back i have still a lot of hair) but I don't really know if I look ridicoulous or not... In your opinion, should I shave everything off and deal with my self esteem down to my feet (I already can image the comments of my friends) or keep what I have left for a while?

Thank you guys and sorry for the mistakes :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:25:24 AM by OhCharles »

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
Re: Tempted but Scared
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
There's only one way to find out how is going to look like....shave it!
I think there's no between,did you like the shaved head or not.

Yeah, family and friends are going to react (many others don't say a thing) and maybe you're going to feel a little bit conscious the first weeks bald,but all that worth it. No more bad hair days or feel insecure to go out with friends because is raining or the day too windy .

Give it a try, you have a lot of hair to cover up if you decide to go back.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
@OhCharles I think you look fine with your current hairstyle. If you're having issues with your self-confidence then shaving could be a good option for you. As Tony said, the only way to know is shave it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline OhCharles

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 12:34:10 PM »
thank you so much for your feedback, guys

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »
keeping your head shaved will increase your self confidence, dare to be somewhat different.  of coursse you will get comments, enjoy them

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »
First, I think you would look fine with a shaved head. The combover probably isn't fooling anybody. Two, if you don't think others guys with shaved heads look good, it's probably not for you. You can always go with a buzzcut.

Lucky for you, bald and bearded is a very trendy look. You have a good beard going.

Bottom line is, you'll never know until you try it. Worst case, if you hate it, wear a hat for 2 weeks and then you will have a buzzcut. Keep in mind, you're asking a bunch of guys that love sporting a shaved head of you should try a baldie haircut!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline jjt724

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 01:38:52 AM »
I would rock a short buzz cut and ease the transition if you are concerned. I started doing that around same age and then one day I finally just took em all off.

But I would definitely go shorter at least. The comb over looks good right now but the problem is that it will start to look worse as it thins out more. Beat the hair thinning process in the race. Show em who’s boss. Think your hair line would cool with a buzz. But way more bad ass when bald.

Once you go sly the confidence comes rolling in full force. Good luck dude.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:41:23 AM by jjt724 »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 11:17:48 PM »
I certainly would go with a shorter haircut...Even if you go all the way, you have a nice beard to complement it.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 02:00:56 AM »
You have enough hair left to still get away with for a while, as long as you continue to torture it forward as you are doing.  Still, that takes a lot of maintenance - and hairspray - to make sure that it "covers" your receding temples, etc.  But even with this, it is fairly obvious to most people that you are losing your hair.

On the other hand, if and when you sick and tired of doing the work it requires to "hide" your hair loss, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at how good you will look with either a very short buzz cut (like a #1) or a fully shaven head.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 06:43:11 AM »
Most all guys report that they gain confidence and self esteem when they shave their heads.  Yo are fortunate to already have a good looking beard, and a good beard really complements a shaved head.

I was also a guy that had low confidence when it came to my looks, and I had thick and full hair for many years.  I can tell you for me, shaving my head and growing a larger beard was really a big boost.  And I shaved before my thinning was noticeable to others, but I knew it because my hair was previously so thick.  My hair was still thicker that average when I shaved.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »
Your comb-down is working for now. But when it thins/recedes a bit more, it will be obvious that you are covering hair loss. (Gals will notice first.) YOU are prob at the worst stage right now. You realize the change is coming and you're not ready to commit to a new appearance.

Eventually, you may have to go with a tight cut (finger length) or a full buzz. The sooner you get to that level, the sooner you can relax and work to rebuild your confidence.