Author Topic: can someone give me some advice? thanks  (Read 4390 times)

aleforna

can someone give me some advice? thanks
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:15 AM »
hi to everyone. so sometimes i hear people asking online or in person if they would look good bald. most of the time i can't even believe they are asking it cause they look great and have the perfect head shape and skin
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:05:12 AM by aleforna »

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: can someone give me some advice? thanks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
Something to remember about buzzing or shaving your head is that it's only a haircut. It grows back. So give it a shot and if you don't like it you can let it grow out. It's not as big a deal as some might make it out to be.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:51:12 AM »
Hello aleforna,

I don't think you will have to worry about looking "worse." You'll look good, but it will be something you will have to get used to. I think most guys do look good bald no matter what head shape or skin color. Bald is definitely better than balding.

Try buzzing your head first. It will be less drastic than a clean razor shave. See what you think and give yourself time to adjust to it. Like Buddha said, it will grow back  if you want it to. And hang around the Forum for support!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:53:37 AM by Mike E. P. »
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »
" i hear people asking online or in person if they would look good bald. most of the time i can't even believe they are asking it cause they look great and have the perfect head shape and skin tone" That line alone should probably tell ya :D. You just have to get used to it. Don't shave it off, assume you look bad and let it grow back instantly. Give the 30 day challanage a try, if by the end of the 30 days you miss your hair or dont like being bald, grow it back. We here will support you either way :D.

aleforna

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
thanks guys. well i'm more all or nothing when i actually "do" take action. which is not that often i admit. so i will probably just go totally bald right away when i shave it. i guess i'm afraid of people i know giving me bad looks and if i'm not comfortable with it.. it will be a problem at work.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
Those looks and comments fade fast.  Hair grows quickly ,too.  If you don't like it, you can return to your old look soon.
Bronx bald and bred!

aleforna

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »
i think i will have to like it and just not care about what others think.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:04:25 AM by aleforna »

Offline Lith

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »
The skin on your head at first will be more sensative. The time it takes depends on the person. I can shave mine in less then 15-20 min (never really timed), but I go over it a million times. Also there are some people who do it every day (me), every other day, or every 3 days.

Offline DaithiSean

• Sly
  • stern mode whilst trying to work my webcam
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:39:16 AM »
I can only agree with what the other guys have written and say 'Go For It' if you don't like it you can always grow your hair back. I don't think that I ever got any really negative comments other than 'Oh, you've shaved your head !' nearly all comments have been positive and you may even get a few head rubs into the bargain ! It will feel different when you go outside - it can feel a lot colder and a bit odd - but in a nice way - when it rains on your bald head. :D :o
My one piece of advice would be to take your time over shaving your head especially if you're using a razor - you'll soon pick up time with practice. 
Keep us posted and good luck with going sly  :)

Offline Roger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »
I will say that if I didn't have this weird ass, Fire Marshal Bill, asymmetrical balding pattern on my melon, I wouldn't be rockin' the chrome dome.  Heck, even if I were balding in your standard horse shoe pattern I'd probably be rockin' the chrome dome.  But like they say... It'll grow back.  'Cept where it won't.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:44:38 AM by Roger »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18:40 AM »
Like was said earlier, try the short buzz first and see how it looks....FWIW, I don't see too much thinning on you.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline restless bald guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Be bald and proud
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
I will say go for it.You never know till you try.If you decide to go sly post a picture.let us see the new you.good luck.Welcome
  to SBG forum.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
I'd say try the buzz first to get used to having shorter hair, that's what I did.  But if you're an all or nothing kinda guy then go for it.  I guarantee you that you will look fine and not as bad as you think, we are always our worse critic.

As far as bad comments go, they'll most likely be few and far between, there are a lot more shaved heads today than years ago so it's not something that is uncommon.  Some of your friends and family may have to get used to the new look but I don't think it's gonna have any negative repercussions.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

aleforna

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
thanks true. for now it's visible only from top
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:03:23 AM by aleforna »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »
If you go sly, why not try some facial hair....Goatees, beard and even mustaches are good combinations for those going sly for the first time.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.