Author Topic: Am really buggin' about going bald  (Read 12676 times)

Offline Andre

• Learning the way of Sly
Am really buggin' about going bald
« on: April 02, 2007, 04:43:30 AM »
Hi,
My name is Andy, I am thirty one, and going bald.  I am at the end of the rope with my hair.  In the last year it has been falling out at a charged up pace, and it takes hours to get it to look semi good.  I don't know if my balding is being caused by my genetics or stress since I was adopted and don't know my parents or their families.  I have thought about shaving my head more and more frequently, but there is one thing holding me back.  The shape of my head.
See, I was born with hydrocephalus, which is a disorder that causes fluid to build up in your head.  It went away when I was a baby, but not before it increased the size of my head by a good amount.  Now with me losing my hair it is just exposing the size of my head even worse.  I have a long forehead, and no hair to cover it.  My girlfriend says that she doesn't care what I do to my hair just as long as it makes me happy, but I don't know if I will ever be happy without my hair.  I don't know if shaving my head with my head shape would be a good idea, but I just would like some feedback from others like me.

Please Help
Andy

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: Am really buggin' about going bald
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 05:32:45 AM »
Hi Andre,

you're not the first one to be in such a situation. People shave their head for one reason or another.
Hair loss is very often one of the reasons (it was for me, at least).

I'm not going to claim that being bald by choice (shaving your head, in other words) is for everybody.
But consider this, most people don't regret it and keep that style for the rest of their lives.

Shaving your head can be a very liberating experience. It can free you from the worries and the attention
you have on your fading hair and give you a new feel about yourself.

And you're not the first one either to worry about the shape of your head. In fact, there were some members
who approached us with that very question: "I don't think my head is shaped nicely. Should I shave anyway?".

If you want a genuine opinion on the shape of your head you can submit a photo and we'll let you know.
Personally, I think most of us here think our head could be shaped just a little better. For instance, my head is a little flat at the back. It used to bother me when I first started shaving, but I no longer have a problem with it. There is no perfect skull (except Patrick Stewart's, lol).

Submit your picture and we'll let you know. And who knows, maybe your big head will become your new trademark, the object of admiration, and the girls will dream about it. ;) Big heads can look good, you know?

Harry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 05:35:52 AM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 07:25:39 AM »
Welcome Andy, glad you found us. I agree with Harry, post a pic and we will give you our honest opinion about your melon. There is nothing you could say here that has not already been stated. I'll keep it short since Harry covered everything quite well.

Look forward to your pic, and seeing you around more.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:31:43 AM »
Welcome Andre!!!....glad you could join us..

Can't improve much on Harry and PigPen....so what they said O0

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »
Right on Andre... this is probably the best place you could have found!  Welcome!   O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 08:42:26 AM »
Welcome Andre.  Glad to have you with us.  Not much to add as Harry said it well!
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »
Welcome Andre!

As usual, Harry has provided a great response to your post.  I'd just like to add that you never know what it will really look like until you actually do it.  If you don' t like it, then it will grow back.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

jusbnme

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 10:37:45 AM »
Pretty much what Harry and they others have said.  If you really want an honest opinion just post a pic and we'll be straight up with you.  But everybody on this forum was probably worried about what it would look like once shaved.  Don't sweat it too much bro.  I would say just go for it and at least give it a good month so you can get use to your new look.  Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.  Do it for you.  I don't have a perfectly ideal round shaped head but I think I pull it off okay.  Then again, like I said, who cares if I don't pull it off.  I'm doing it for myself, even if it doesn't look good in other people's eyes.  One thing is for sure...You will find all the support you will need right here.   O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »
If you're losing your hair,  then your head is going to be exposed anyway, so it might not be as much of an issue as you think.  Depending on the pattern of your hair loss, shaving off the remaining hair might actually de-emphasize the size/shape of your head.  Post a photo and we'll let you know what we think.

Offline HotCajun

• Super Sly
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 04:27:05 PM »
Hey Andre & welcome....sounds to me like you have a great girl.....do what makes you happy...and not having to worry with your hair, sounds like it would make you happy! Welcome to the forum!

Offline Beer Barron

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
Welcome Andre.  Consider yourself among friends here.  As others have suggested, post a pic and you will get real honest feedback.  Nobody's head is perfect.  Go for it my man! O0

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »
Welcome Andre, sounds like I was in the same boat as you I had the 7 inch forehead going also. these are a great bunch of guys who will allways give you their honest opinion.

Also no ones head is perfect man I have a flat spot on the back of my head, mom told me it was cause I wouldn't lay on my stomach as a baby LOL.

As for my own experiance shaving I love it I used to worry about my hair and the shiney forehead and all that crap now I don't even think about my head. All of my friends agree it looks better.

Post that pick and these guys will tell ya what they think.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 11:23:18 PM »
Welcome andre, and think about this:

Hours to get what hair you have left looking good, or shaving when you want to and people won't know the difference either way?

Is worrying about something as trivial like head shape worth passing up all the time and money you will save by not messing with your hair?   
bald for life

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
Brother, Relax.  There is no shape head that would look bad shaved compared to semi Bald.  I feel you, and as already stated this is the right place for you.  Have confidence in your decision, and know that We always will stand with you, One B.B.C. [Bald By Choice] Family  O0
Peace

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
Welcome Andre.  I will only add to what the others folks are saying by adding that we all self-magnify our flaws.  I've always thought of myself as being fatter than I really am.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt