Author Topic: Well, I can't run much longer..it's catching up...  (Read 5016 times)

Offline almost.sly.blkguy

• Learning the way of Sly
Well, I can't run much longer..it's catching up...
« on: September 25, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »
Hi all I'm new. I noticed my hair started thinning in 2000 (at 28), so I decided to shave my head just to see how it would look. Well most people said I had a decent shaped head, but I was still self conscious about having a bald head (mainly because it was so much lighter than the rest of me), so I let it grow back immediately. Anyway, I had just got out of the military at the time, so I just went back to the high and tight(yes even as a civilian, as I had it pretty much all my life anyway as a black guy...LOL).

To make a long story short, I've always got the sides buzzed every week (at 10-15 dollars a week none the less), and just kept "watching" my hairline creep back, and incessant thinning. Well, no one says they can really see it (unless I point it out) but "I know it's there" just eating away at my confidence, month by month.  This past week I didn't go get the normal Saturday sides buzzed, I slept in. Well guess what? For the first time in a long time, I noticed tonight that with the sides grown in (and obviously thicker than the top now as well as GRAY FROM HELL) I'm REALLY self conscious as hell. I'm just feeling like screw it, lets just buzz it all off. The problem is, I'm too chicken sh*t to do it, because now I'm in more of a professional career (weak excuse), and wonder what it might do(especially with a light skinned head on a medium skinned black guy) as far as what my peers may think(I'm also the ONLY black guy, and always have been since I went into IT systems 12 years ago).

Description:
Height 5'8
145 pounds (Always been skinny, gained a little (150-155)in the military, but lost it after separating)
Goatee and mustache (Not super thick, but I meticulously trim, shape and maintain)

Anyway have a good laugh, but it's true...LOL
Suggestions wanted..... Yeah I know I must be quite idiotic...

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Well, I can't run much longer..it's catching up...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »
Like you said  "Screw it -just buzz it off ".....You`ll get plenty other good advice from other members..
         Welcome Too SBG         8)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
as far as what my peers may think(I'm also the ONLY black guy, and always have been since I went into IT systems 12 years ago).

Nobody is going to care.  We all have the same fears and they've almost without exception always turned out to be unfounded.  If a pasty white guy like me can do it, there's no reason you can't.  Go for it.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »
Aight Screw it! I'm a (prior) military man(Veteran) hu-ah!

I was gonna just get the sides buzzed tomorrow, buy ef it, gonna hit it with the 1 tomorrow and get a nice razor line. Shiat, I even went looking thru my shaving kit and found the ORIGINAL HEAD BLADE from 2000 (yellow but no wheels on it). Any suggestions on the head tan issue???

Also saw a newer head-blade at the store today WITH wheels, although not sure I'll shave it off "clean" right away....

In addition, I freakin' shaved off the goatee and stash last week, but it'll be back in another week (slow grower here...takes two weeks to come back..LOL)

Thanks guyz, I been peepin' here for a while, but just realized what a puzzy I was being, so lets do this. Will post tomorrow!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  just shave that dome & embrace your baldness.  i promise that U won't regret it.  anyways, keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness.    congrats 2 U on joining the best forum on the internet. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

slyatlast

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 05:32:04 AM »
We've all used the same excuses for not going sly (head shaped funny, skin tone too light, not accepted in my workplace, what will people think).  But as soon as we accept the look ourselves, we soon realize that no one - and I mean no one ever has an issue with it. In fact, the best thing to do is use it to your advantage.

Post up a photo too so you don't have to give us a verbal description of your appearance.

...and welcome by the way

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »
Aight Screw it! I'm a (prior) military man(Veteran) hu-ah!

I was gonna just get the sides buzzed tomorrow, buy ef it, gonna hit it with the 1 tomorrow and get a nice razor line. Shiat, I even went looking thru my shaving kit and found the ORIGINAL HEAD BLADE from 2000 (yellow but no wheels on it). Any suggestions on the head tan issue???

Also saw a newer head-blade at the store today WITH wheels, although not sure I'll shave it off "clean" right away....

In addition, I freakin' shaved off the goatee and stash last week, but it'll be back in another week (slow grower here...takes two weeks to come back..LOL)

Thanks guyz, I been peepin' here for a while, but just realized what a puzzy I was being, so lets do this. Will post tomorrow!

Welcome.
Like RazorX said, the fears of going sly for the first time are usually unfounded. Go for it.
By the way, I use the original HeadBlade (no wheels) and get an incredible shave. As long as the little plastic nub on the back stays in contact with your scalp (and you don't apply any additional pressure to the leading edge of the headblade), the angle is set for the optimum shave. I use my Schick Extreme3 for touch up around the ears.

Post some pics!
Good luck.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 06:54:02 AM »
Welcome to the group. Just shave it off. You will probably find that you are the only one that cares whether you are shaved or not.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »
All of the excuses we can come up with are pretty lame, and once you do the deed, it ends up being all in your head for the most part.  No one really cares, especially these days, and I think black guys can pull of the slick look better than white guys.  Just do it!
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »
DONE!

I miust admit, I felt the weight lifted immediately. Now what do i do next??? I just got it hit with clippers so far, not sure if I want to hit it with a blade yet, still a little in shock...LOL :D :D :D

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 09:02:51 AM »
DONE!

I miust admit, I felt the weight lifted immediately. Now what do i do next??? I just got it hit with clippers so far, not sure if I want to hit it with a blade yet, still a little in shock...LOL :D :D :D

Looks good.  Take a nice hot shower to soak and soften your hair and then lather up and start shaving.  No point in stopping now before you finish the deed.

slyatlast

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
Not sure what you're worried about.  Looks great and you're so close to being sly already no one but you will know the difference. 

More than half the black guys I know are already sly so you might as well join them...

benmcd

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »
My guess is that if you are here, you are probably 90% wanting to shave your head. I haven't seen anyone on this forum try to talk someone out of shaving.., so I would give it a go and it will always grow back if you really (doubtful) do not like it. Your picture would suggest you won't go wrong.. Good Luck  O0

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
Oh man,i just went to get the Nivea and Jergens, etc, etc, and decided to stop by KFC. Got me a 3 piece original recipe meal.

Now I don't know if its just me, but  man does it seem to taste better now that I'm sly....LOL   :*)) :*)) O0

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »
Welcome Almost.  You think the chicken taste better- the world is better for us Sly guys.  No worries about going bald ( you're there already).  No ingrown hairs, no haircuts at $15 a pop.  Life is GOOD!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Enter your email address: