Author Topic: 23 with a receded hair line and thinning hair. Asking for help  (Read 4174 times)

Offline tallguy1994

• Learning the way of Sly
23 with a receded hair line and thinning hair. Asking for help
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »
Hello guys, 1st time posting here. I guess I'm just looking for advice on what to do with my hair. It's been gradually thinning and receding over the last 2 years and it's gotten to the point where I'm always wearing hats when I go outside because the wind blows my hair around so easily.

I feel somewhat silly for asking others on what do with my hair, but this seems like a website filled with people who have gone through the same struggle as me and understand my concern. I have never shaved my head, I used to get long buzzcutts before my hair started thinning, since then I've been asking for shorter on the sides and the back and longer on top and in the front. I usually comb the front of my hair to the side, but it doesn't stay combed to the side and just doesn't look great in my opinion.

Just curious if you guys think I could pull off the shaved head look and how short I should start out at. As much as loosing my hair at a young age sucks, I realize how lucky and fortunate I am for the life I have. I have a bit of a baby face and am worried that I might look strange with a shaved head. I am pretty tall (6'5) and can grow a decent beard, although it's a bit patchy. I really appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much.

PS: I just took these pics after playing tennis outside so my hair is all over the place but hopefully it gives you guys a good idea of what Im working with. Thanks again.

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
Re: 23 with a receded hair line and thinning hair. Asking for help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »
I vote you should give the shave a go. If thinning is bothering you, once you get over the initial shock - it’s quite liberating.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:46:49 PM »
It surely cannot hurt to try. I think you will find that you love the way you look and feel.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:23:25 AM »
you still have lot of hair but I would try short buzz and then shave, if you like it keep it - the key point do what you like regardless of others think.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:21 AM »
Your hair as is looks good to my eyes . But you should try  #2 or 3 buzz for a change. From there you can gradually go shorter .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline USA man

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:28:05 PM »
You and me both, man. At least you've got a half a foot of height on me and a perfectly shaped & proportioned head. Keep us posted. I'm 23 as well.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Looks like you have enough hair for now.  You probably notice the thinning much more than others.  But I shaved at the first sign of thinning as well, but a much older age (48 or so).  So if you want to get ahead of things, go ahead and start with a buzz cut.  You will have no problem pulling it off shaved, but you may want to add some facial hair.  A lot of guys find having a beard helps with a shaved head, although a lot of guys pull off the Mr. Clean look very well.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
i would crop it tight, 2, 3. i think it would look healthier and more manly.