Author Topic: First Guys You Knew With Shaved Heads  (Read 19832 times)

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
Re: First Guys You Knew With Shaved Heads
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »
That's easy . . . my dad !  When I was five, my dad on a whim cut off his comb over strands and that surprised my mom.  My grade/junior high buddies always liked to rip off his ball cap and rub the bald top and asked what happened to his hair and he'd reply, "one day a gust of wind ripped off my ball cap and wh-o-o-o-sh there went the hair on the top of my head."  Then one day dad had a buddy clipper shave his head and my friends really thought that was so cool.  Of course when mine started going south he started telling me to watch those gusts of wind.  I was 21 and had longish hair combed over and yes combed over with norwood 5.5 bald (1976). I needed a haircut for job interview so I told the barber buzz it down and he told me it would look better with no stray sprigs on top, so he gave me the mpb shave on top and #1 rest.  I come home, take off my ball cap and dad says (as he rubs the bald top), "told you about those gusty winds." It was funny as hell, because that day I had it all buzzed off was a windy spring day! :)

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2019, 05:07:37 AM »
The first white guy who I have seen in person with a shaved head was actually myself in the 1980's.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2019, 06:23:13 AM »
Stasiu and bennet, both of you guys were bald in a time that long hair was the norm! I can't imagine how it felt to be so different than most men. I'm sure you both drew plenty of attention.

Stasiu, what a great way to have a bond with your dad. My dad passed when I was 21, in 1975. I had shoulder length hair, and he was always telling me I should get a crewcut.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »
A few guys where I worked shaved before I did.

What reactions they had when you appeared at work completely smooth?

I do not recall any specific reactions from them.  But I was their supervisor, so maybe that kept the comments down.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »
Outside of my old man and grandfather, I don't recall anyone my age that shaved bald when I first started.

Back in high school, there may have been 2-3 other dudes with thinning hair like me, but I was the most progressed. Lucky me.  LOL

In college there were other a handful of shaved students but the school was big and I didn't know them (they were prob grad students.) Still, it was good knowing there were other baldies on campus, so I didn't feel too eccentric.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »

In college there were other a handful of shaved students but the school was big and I didn't know them (they were prob grad students.) Still, it was good knowing there were other baldies on campus, so I didn't feel too eccentric.

I bet that they spot you too haha.
Bald guys have a kind of radar.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2019, 01:11:02 PM »

I bet that they spot you too haha.
Bald guys have a kind of radar.
pretty much so. 

And I think the cool-factor is MUCH higher today than it was back my college days.