Author Topic: Joe Satriani  (Read 5540 times)

Offline leathermonkey7

• Sly Guy in Training
Joe Satriani
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »
Possibly one of the world's greatist guitar players. He taught Kirk Hammet from Metallica, and Steve Vai how to play guitar. He has been making solo albums for 20 years, and plays better then ever. Oh yeah, and he is sly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Satriani

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
Re: Joe Satriani
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:52:41 PM »
I have a deep respect for JS, but his tunes never did it for me.

Steve Vai in the 80's movie Crossroads with Ralph Machio was awesome!
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:11:11 PM »
Same. Satch is one of the most talented shredders ever but I could never listen to his albums. All that technical precision gets quite boring to me after about 1 song.

Offline SlickEric

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:18:48 PM »
Uh rectification for all of you guys here, Satch and Vai AREN'T SHREDDERS AT ALL, they play awesome music without the necessity of always being the fastest they can be. Look at Joe Satriani's "Super Colossal", one of his better CD's for sure, and Vai doesn't shred either.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »
Lets call them Virtuosos. Both are highly skilled players that are usually providing a brilliant example of their instrument played at the top of available ability.

Here is the youtube vid of Vai's appearance in the 80's movie Crossroads. Great story and generally an overlooked movie based on the tale of Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil  to master the guitar. The end here is where Vai is basically the Devils guitar player that competes against Ralph Machios character to win back the soul of his friend / mentor.

Vai is playing both guitar parts but RM had to take about a year of guitar lessons to just make it look like he was actually playing these parts.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
Same. Satch is one of the most talented shredders ever but I could never listen to his albums. All that technical precision gets quite boring to me after about 1 song.

Bro' I love the technical stuff just as much as I love to listen to some old classical guitar, its just more than noise, like some of the so called greats of today put out, just my 2 cents, peace out bro'

Offline leathermonkey7

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »
I'd say Joe Satriani and those type of guys may overplay and show off, and have a certain amount of ego present in their solos, but they are doing it more tastefully as they get older. Its surely not mainstream, but thats kinda why I like to listen to go see them play sometimes.

BaldRob

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »
Lets call them Virtuosos. Both are highly skilled players that are usually providing a brilliant example of their instrument played at the top of available ability.

Here is the youtube vid of Vai's appearance in the 80's movie Crossroads. Great story and generally an overlooked movie based on the tale of Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil  to master the guitar. The end here is where Vai is basically the Devils guitar player that competes against Ralph Machios character to win back the soul of his friend / mentor.

Vai is playing both guitar parts but RM had to take about a year of guitar lessons to just make it look like he was actually playing these parts.

I haven't seen that movie in AGES!  And it was an awesome movie!!

Offline METAPHOR

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »
Being is better than becoming -Paul Klee

Offline dagenhamjim

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 12:27:08 AM »
Joe's been Sly for some time now. Wonder if he is a reader, Lurker, Fan etc of our fab SLY forum lol.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_178/894604/sampeb1a5324eb47c66d.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed height="0" width="0" src="http://counters.gigya.com/wild

DanDan

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »
I was a fan of Joes for years. But his last couple of albums are just really boring and not very rockin. His new album is coming out soon and I've heard samples of the songs. Looks like another dud. Still a cool guy and great guitarist though.

Offline Wiremu

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »
Last post on this thread was more than 10 years ago.

I saw Joe Satriani two nights ago here in Perth. I started listening to him during his long-hair Surfing With The Alien days. Now he's rocking the sly look and doing it very well.

The concert was very very good. His band were incredibly tight. It'd have to be the loudest concert I've ever been to. I wish I'd taken earplugs.

Anyhow, it was great to finally get a chance to surf with the sly-alien

Enter your email address: