Author Topic: Can‘t say I’m surprised(BBC geht in Deutschland nicht)  (Read 2532 times)

Offline run2explore99

• Learning the way of Sly
Welp, I gave into pressure and felt it was best that while I‘m still in Germany’s for my exchange year, I should at least have some hair so as not to Ben mistaken for a neonazi. I mean, I’m only 19 and shaving my head with a razor was of course gonna get looks but to the point where I could see fear and anger in just about everyone’s eyes as I walked through the straights was really disheartening. I even feared for my safety because living in a tiny village where a couple neonazis actually live(seen them in person) I couldn’t help but notice cars would sometimes turn around and almost seem to follow me when I would go for jogs...maybe just a coincidence. Do after talking to my host mother, she just said she felt it would be best to at least keep some hair so as not to disturb not only the immigrants but even the „Hooligans“ who apparently pick fights with people who like me. Here are some pictures of me when I had a beard and without a beard. I’ll continue the 30 day challenge when I get back to America. And I personally like havingno beard just cuz it’s super patchy and only thick in the goatee area. I added photos of when Im not smiling so you can get idea of how I look normally. I know I look intimidating as is 😅. Und Falls jmd hier aus Deutschland herkommt, was sagen Sie dazu? Haben Sie auch solche Probleme gesehen, gemerkt?

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
Re: Can‘t say I’m surprised(BBC geht in Deutschland nicht)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 06:04:06 PM »
Neonazi? Not at all. Just avoid certain clothes if that bothers you,like boots and bomber jackets haha.

Not every white guy is a skinhead.
Not every brown guy is a cholo.
Not every black guy id basquetball player.
Not every yellow guy is a monk.

We need to star to break stereotypes.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 12:44:35 AM »
wow, I’m sorry to hear that you are having that experience because I have to say you look eally good superclean!   in that one photo where you have the short bus clip it looks really awful on you!   you’re right it’s back to the states to the 30 day challenge I think it’s only a play day 10!

Offline run2explore99

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 04:34:51 AM »
Neonazi? Not at all. Just avoid certain clothes if that bothers you,like boots and bomber jackets haha.

Not every white guy is a skinhead.
Not every brown guy is a cholo.
Not every black guy id basquetball player.
Not every yellow guy is a monk.

We need to star to break stereotypes.
wow, I’m sorry to hear that you are having that experience because I have to say you look eally good superclean!   in that one photo where you have the short bus clip it looks really awful on you!   you’re right it’s back to the states to the 30 day challenge I think it’s only a play day 10!

lol, I avoided any clothing representing a skinhead, granted no one was looking at my clothing  :*)) and Yea the buzzcut right now just looks bad. The whole point of being bald was so you couldn't see my hairline and it worked! Now my forehead doesn't at least have the longer hair to balance it all out and I'll be looking like this for the next month till I get back home. Thinking of waiting after the welcome back party to do it so as not to shock everyone all at once :)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
Well, you definitely look really good with head and face clean shaven. You really have something to look forward to when you get back to the good old USA! You can get a "welcome home" haircut.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experience in Germany.  It seems that things haven't changed much since I lived in Europe back in the 1980's .  Shaved heads on young guys were always associated with bad things - neo-Nazi, the National Front, etc.  Usually the shaved head was accompanied by Doc Martens and bomber jackets in an effort to both stand out and intimidate. 

I remember a situation in London when my wife and I were walking across the concourse of Waterloo Station and laughing about something (I've forgotten what).  A skinhead thought we were laughing at him and began screaming obscenities at us.  Fortunately a bobby intervened before anything happened.

If you are in a small town in Germany, best to avoid controversy.  No reason to put yourself at risk.