Author Topic: Hats in the cold dont stay on!  (Read 20377 times)

Offline Junglerot

• Sly Guy in Training
Hats in the cold dont stay on!
« on: October 22, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »
Heya guys,  What do you do about hats sliding up off the dome.  I don't generally wear a hat, but  I live in Seattle and sometimes the cold, the wet and the wind get to me and I put on a beanie.  It slides up off my head and looks stupid.  Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone solved this for themselves?

I did try one thing, I got some crafting cloth paint and made "friction pads" inside like the ones on the bottom of no-slip slipper socks.  It didn't work; I just ruined my hat.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Hats in the cold dont stay on!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »
Well, there are some disadvantages to a very nicely shaved dome in the morning--I just keep tugging it down.  But I only wear them in freezing weather and I live in the deep South.  At the home office of my company, upstate NY, it's a problem in the morning, but by evening, there's enough stubble to hold on to it.  Can't have everything in life, can we????

Offline Junglerot

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »
No, I guess we can't.  I am sure not going to stop shaving!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
Shave just before bedtime instead of in the morning.  You should still look bald when you leave the house but there should be enough velcro on your dome to keep your hat in place.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »
I second what RazorX says.  By shaving at night, I have just enough stubble to hold the hat on firm the next day.

Of course even at 35 degrees, I have often gone without a hat this season.  My head is getting more accustomed to the change in temperature.

Another thing I have done is forget the hat altogether and wear a hooded sweatshirt under my jacket for when I just can't stand the cold wind on my head.

Offline DaDi

• Sly
  • The 1st sly member in SBG from Greece!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:51 AM »
Heya guys,  What do you do about hats sliding up off the dome.  I don't generally wear a hat, but  I live in Seattle and sometimes the cold, the wet and the wind get to me and I put on a beanie.  It slides up off my head and looks stupid.  Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone solved this for themselves?

I did try one thing, I got some crafting cloth paint and made "friction pads" inside like the ones on the bottom of no-slip slipper socks.  It didn't work; I just ruined my hat.

Dude, you can replace your head moisturizer with...

and then you can wear yr hat without any problems!!!  :D  :*))

Ok ok just kidding
I have that problem too and i agree with RazorX  O0
Yea, right...

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:20:27 AM »
I couldn't resist, DaDi, if you're into that sort of thing, then maybe this is for you. This Finnish brand glue complements nicely the HeadBlade line:

http://www.kauppakartano.com/tuotekuvat/alkup/yleisliimat/LII-EO4-Yleisliima-Eri-Keeper-750-ml-0.jpg

;D

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »
Perhaps the self-sticking velco strips could work?
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Junglerot

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:21 PM »
Shave just before bedtime instead of in the morning.  You should still look bald when you leave the house but there should be enough velcro on your dome to keep your hat in place.

You would think that would work, but I generally shave at night.  :-\

Offline Stevo

• Agile, Mobile, Audiophile
  • Sly
    • Country Road of Life
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 06:35:37 PM »
What kind of knit does your hat have?  I've found that the tight-knit hats stay on my head better, even after a fresh shave.  I also wear mine a bit lower on my head, so that the rim can hug it a little bit more.

Offline Junglerot

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 11:12:59 AM »
What kind of knit does your hat have?  I've found that the tight-knit hats stay on my head better, even after a fresh shave.  I also wear mine a bit lower on my head, so that the rim can hug it a little bit more.

Heya bluejayrock,  I have tried a knit hat (Original Thug from HeadBlade) and various fleece ones.  I find that if it is tight it slides up more, what I have been looking for is a hat that has a head band built in to it and it be the only part that is "stretchy" or tight.

This is all to keep my ears warm not really my head; so I may just have to go with something other than a hat.  What does everyone think of the winter headbands that are to keep you ears warm?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:28:33 AM by Junglerot »

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
I bought one of those "Headsox" thingys and it works fine.
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 06:42:59 PM »
Junglerot - Try a hunting goods store.  I found one at Gander Mountain that is pretty much a Gortex skull cap with ear covers which have extra padding.  Feels almost like a swim cap and is surprisingly warm for how thin it is.

The glue might be a joke, but I have seen what looks like rubber that has been hot glued inside of the headband in a zigzag pattern.  You will notice this on spandex bike shorts to keep the legs from riding up.  Would be nice to find that in a skull cap.

Offline Junglerot

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:16 PM »
Junglerot - Try a hunting goods store.  I found one at Gander Mountain that is pretty much a Gortex skull cap with ear covers which have extra padding.  Feels almost like a swim cap and is surprisingly warm for how thin it is.

The glue might be a joke, but I have seen what looks like rubber that has been hot glued inside of the headband in a zigzag pattern.  You will notice this on spandex bike shorts to keep the legs from riding up.  Would be nice to find that in a skull cap.

Thanks I will look for that swimmers cap like hat (man father in law would love the excuse to make a Cabalas order!); as for the glue rubber zig-zag idea that is what I was trying with the craft paint.  I would love to see a hat with it in it.

hawkeye

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »
I just started sly last week.  I never had the problem before.  But, the other night at the bar with my skull cap creeping up.  It made me look like even more of a drunk.  LOL