Author Topic: Bald by choice- why?  (Read 17843 times)

Offline njbill

• Sly
Re: Bald by choice- why?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
Like using a wheelchair for fun

Offline MVSicari

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
Become an addiction almost. Grew my hair out for a few months but got the itch to shave it again. Biggest factor is saving money and the simplicity however

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
I grew up with a clipper shaved head as did my brother because my father as a Marine demanded it and we complied every Saturday morning at our local barber shop.  In those day 1960 the short the haircut for boy the better.  You couldn't see a young man with long hair because simply put you were a man and a there was no talk about long hair for boys.  Growing up a clipper shaved head was the only cut we knew and never questioned it.  In high school our father gave us the choice of letting our hair grow out.  Some of us did but couldn't stand it so we decided to go back to the clipper shaved head however it turned out that the razor shaved head was better.  I was bald as a boy and bald as a grownup man.  My seven sons have embraced the shaved head just like my brothers sons and we couldn't be more happy.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 09:34:38 AM »
Uamcpelon, your story made me remember a funny one from my childhood. It was May of 1965 and I was 12. The Beatles were the big influence and everyone wanted long hair. Mine was the longest it had ever been, covering my forehead and touching the top of my ears. Mom was taking my brother and I for a haircut, when my brother got in the chair, Mom said my dad ordered a crewcut for us. We were upset, and when I saw my brother sheared to a buzzcut, I refused a haircut and bolted out of there. Well, you can imagine, dad was furious, and the next day he came home from work, and took me to the barbershop for a nice extra short crewcut. He's been gone a long time, but I'm sure he's looking down on me with a big smile.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
Ever since I was in the Army I had been keeping my hair short.  I was used to it and liked it that way. I had been curious about how shaving my head would feel for years before it was popular. Then, one day, I was bored and thought, "what the hell".  An hour later I was completely bald.  I really liked it and thought it looked pretty good.  My wife hated it, so I grew it back out. 

Fast forward to August 2, 2014.  I had been divorced for several months when I realized that the only person I had to please was myself.  I decided I didn't care what anyone else thought.  So, I shaved my head.  I felt so free.  After walking around for a few days I realized my confidence was really boosted. 

There have been a few times when I've grown it to a short buzz; .5 on the top, 0 on the sides.  The barber I went to did a nice job and it looked good.  However, after a little while of that I just got annoyed with having hair, so I shaved it all off.  There is just nothing like the feel of a freshly shaved head.  My current wife thinks it's sexy.

I love being bald.  I cannot see a day when I will ever have hair again.  I love the ritual, the feel of the razor gliding over my head and the feel of my bare scalp. 

Offline Reg

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »
I naturally have a thick head of hair. I feel most comfortable when my hair is very short or when I'm clean shaven. Its a look that never goes out of date, looks clean and really professional with a suit on. Besides that, its quick and easy to maintain and cheaper than spending endless amounts of products to put in my hair, trips to the barber and shampoo.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 01:19:23 AM »
Only been bald by choice since new years, did it partially out of curiosity how i would look, partially as a step towards another hair goal that probably wouldnt have worked, and partially because i just needed a change after a pretty rough year last year both emotionally and healthwise. The rough year began with losing my job (i did end up with a job i like better, but it was still a blow to my ego), then moved on to a health issue which required emergency surgery, delaying my new job search till i recovered. Things got better for a few months, a new car thats nicer than any ive yet owned, etc. But then came the worst of the worst, my father, who i relyed on for great advice on many subjects, and who i was very close with, despite living across the country from him, has passed away from a massive stroke at a time when i could not afford airfare to attend his funeral. So needless to say 2015 was a bad blow to my self confidence, and i had read somewhere shaving your head can help to increase confidence. Anyway at first i planned to keep it shaved only a couple weeks, but once i began letting it grow back, after just a week and a half, i realized i kissed the new look and shaved my hair back off. I am now about 3 weeks into keeping it shaved for good, and cant imagine ever going back
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 06:20:01 AM »
Sorry for your loss, it's rough to lose a parent. It can put alot of things into perspective.

Beware, that baby butt smooth feel is addictive for some of us.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
Sorry for your loss, it's rough to lose a parent. It can put alot of things into perspective.

Beware, that baby butt smooth feel is addictive for some of us.

Im finding that out pretty well here. Once i made the decision to stay bald, i had planned to razor shave it for just a few weeks while it was still kind of a novelty, then switch to clippering it with no guard about once a week or so, but im already becoming addicted to the ritual of razor shaving.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline brannon67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 07:02:41 AM »
Im not totally what you guys on here call SLY yet, but I do buzz what hair I have left on my head with no guard now. I started out with a 2, went to a 1, then a 1/2, then no guard. Yes, eventually I will take a razor to it and be done with it, but as for now, I still have a little bit of stubble on top. I am gradually getting to a razor shave, but im taking my time. I know some of you guys are BBC, and many have MPB as I do. I know that bald is in these days, and is considered more social accepted nowadays, but what about us who are BBC or those of us who really don't have a choice, other then if we want to look like Bozo the clown? Really? Do we really care if bald is trendy or not. I don't. I see it as not accepting the Bozo the clown, fringe, or rug, look. I don't care if bald is in, trendy, fashionable or not. Its the only choice I have, as I see it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:07:14 AM by brannon67 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »
Those of us that are BBC all have our reasons for shaving our heads. Personally, I like the look on myself and other guys. With snow white hair, I enjoy having a nicely tanned shiny head. Daily shaving also keeps a dermatitis issue at bay.

Fact is, if you sport a shaved head, chances are you really like it, and nobody else's opinion matters. What bothers me a little is that when I have the urge to let my hair grow back for a while, I can only go so long before the urge to shave my head returns. Once that urge is there, I know I can't resist.

Offline Ben1815

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 02:54:44 PM »
I've had short hair (either a 3,2 or 1 crop) for at least the last 25 years and as the hair on the top of my head is very thin anyway, shaving off that last bit is just an extension of the headshave. That being said when I am completely bald I feel more confident (even if it doesn't always come through), I think it looks better and it helps me realise that I'm my own man and I don't need affirmation or approval for my hairstyle (or lack of). It's also that little part of me that likes to be a rebel and do something slightly out of the ordinary without going too mad.

Offline brannon67

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 07:03:37 AM »
Its great that some of you guys are BBC, and have options. We who have MPB do not have the luxury or very many options. Hey, I don't blame anyone who has a full head of hair. No, that's not what Im doing. More power to them. Consider yourself very lucky and blessed that you have great options for what you want to do with your hair/head. For those with MPB(such as myself) have no options, but God awful rugs, take pills(which is very dangerous to your body), transplants that cost $10,000 or more, which may come out good, may not, wear a hat, shave your head, and not have the dreaded Bozo the clown, horseshoe thing, which I myself personally cant stand. Options are great, MPB people are very limited. That's where the clippers, and/or the razor comes into play.

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »
My hairline is most definitely receding, but quite slowly, and I could probably get away with having a (relatively) full head of hair for some time yet.

However.

I always hated my hair. It was useless in terms of styling. I could have put Elmer's glue in it and I bet it still wouldn't have cooperated. That's why I always looked like a mad scientist. But despite it refusing to cooperate with any deliberate manipulation, if I laid back on a pillow or something, it couldn't yield fast enough. The resultant bed head was always god awful and I could never take a nap without fixing it in a hot shower afterwards, or else I'd look like I just rolled out of bed. And I couldn't wear a hat because taking it off would reveal the worst, most matted rat's nest of hat head I've ever seen on anyone.

I've been talking about getting rid of all of it for at least the last 15 years, and couldn't talk myself into such a huge change. But I began dating someone early this year who encouraged me to go for it, so eventually I figured, what the hell? I shaved it all off only three weeks ago, but I've already decided that I love it and I'm not going back. We'll call it the 30 minute rule in my case.  8)

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 12:02:52 AM »
I have a full head but simply like to feel it smooth

Enter your email address: