Author Topic: Shaving - without any shaving cream - Do you do it?  (Read 20243 times)

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
Shaving - without any shaving cream - Do you do it?
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
I am 44. I have been shaving my face for over 25 years without using shaving cream or anything else.. not even water. A while back when I started shaving my head, I also used no cream or water as this was natural for me.

I read a lot of posts on this forum about shaving creams. I began to wonder if I were a freak so I googled the issue. I came across this post about shaving cream being a racket. http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

Now, I won't go as far as to claim it's a racket although there may be some truth to it for some poorly made brands. I came across other threads discussing this very article and most of the people feel this guy is as nutty as a fruit cake. There was even a shaving FAQ sited that gave "scientific' reasons why you NEED to use shaving cream. I found the logic largely bunk and one sided in the FAQ because it did not take into account how the skin continually heals itself, grows new skin daily and the fact that hair shaves just fine even in a non weakened state. ( They claimed cream and or water is needed to weaken the hair for easier cutting.)

Ever try to cut down a green tree or break a green branch? Not so easy is it? Ever try to cut down the same tree or break the branch after it had dried? It's a lot easier to cut down or break. I feel this is the same way with hair.

I know I get a great shave everyday. No cutting my face up, no razor burns, no red bumps, no irritation.. just steel on skin. This is the same for my face and my head.  I have good skin, with no skin problems due to shaving this way.

So I ask you - Anyone else out there who does not use shaving cream?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Shaving - without any shaving cream - Do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »
hey e-rider:

wow... that is amazing that U can shave your face & dome without any oil, cream, soap, or gel.  4 me... i'm gonna need something like a cream, soap, or gel.   U should do a youtube video of your routine.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

See.. that's just the thing. To me this feels normal because I don't have any problems doing it, I'm used to it. I'm trying to figure out if this is because my skin (or anyone's skin) can adjust to the change or if I'm unique in this.

It could be that other people do have problems dry shaving because they (and their skin) are not used to it yet. Perhaps if people stuck with it.. say for a month.. they would find their skin would adjust to it also.

I suppose lots of people are not willing to try this for fear of damaging their skin. But I'd really like to know why I have such good results and others don't - my theory is that people just don't stick to it long enough and unless you really have super sensitive skin, they would not really need shaving cream either. Hopefully some more dry shavers will chime in to help discuss this.

Oh and making a video is a great idea. I can do that. I was holding off on making a pic for this forum until my head tanned, but I can do that and the video soon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:06:36 PM by Electric Rider »

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:10:58 PM »
Hey,

Very jealous! I wish it was that easy for me :p

Ever since I've been shaving my face I have always had razor burn regardless of any product used.

I guess it's down to the individual.
Lynchy

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:25:35 AM »
This is interesting. your scalp must be preety tough :D
Mine is also hanging in there really ok, so I can give it a shot.
I won't though :) I'm OK with my routine.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:29:06 AM »
I had it done to me by a barber never again , Iwould suggest if yourscalp has moisturiser on it and iyou have a sharp blade it may be possible if the growth is miniscule . Not something Ai woul look to do though

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Shaving - without any shaving cream - Do you do it?
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
I did it once and boy was that a mistake! Ran out of shaving cream and had to do the 5 min. SSS (sh*t, shower, and shave) while playing wargames during training down in MS. Was I a hot mess for that week!
I tip my hat to you for being able to do that... 8)

Cheers,
Ro

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »
Only when I'm using my Panasonic ES-8243K.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »
Maybe with my clippers....I may dryshave in a small area if I miss a spot but to do it all the way is asking for more razor bumps than I care to count...
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
buddha brings up a good point. People dry shave all the time for electric razors and for electric razors that's normal.  What's the difference then?  I think as well as the skin getting used to it, there is a different shaving dynamic due to the different types of electric blades vs a normal razor. The electrics don't apply the same pressure to the skin where the blade touches the skin. I think when I started dry shaving I had to go really easy until my skin got used to it. I'm also super careful but can do this at normal shaving speed. I really believe it's all about what we are conditioned to believe.

As for the article I linked to, I have no knowledge if shaving cream can cause a softening of the skin like the author suggests. I wonder if there is anything to this.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
I would add and suggest if you have time shaving your head in the shower with warm water , very nice , superb result , but expensive on hot water

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »
I'm with BaldChav on this one, the only time I'll do it without foam is under running water, but it's true, the bill is huge after a while.

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:30 AM »
Ya know.. I never tried shaving in the shower. I'll give it a shot.

For the dry shave I do the same thing your supposed to do with a sharp knife and a tomato. I don't put downward pressure on the blade, just let the weight of the razor do the shaving. I just use enough pressure to maintain skin contact. I find this helps a lot. For my last close passes I always go against the grain with the skin pulled very tight. There comes a point where I know if I keep shaving the same area it will start to burn. I have to stop before this happens and just accept the razor won't get anymore.

I think I obsess. Perhaps I'd be batter of waxing. LOL

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
No, and I don't recommend it. If you don't have any shave cream or gel, any soap will do.

Why would you even consider dry shaving at all?

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
Why would you even consider dry shaving at all?

Exactly.

Want to give the stubble and skin all the help it can get for a smooth trouble free shave.

Started using a pre-shave oil in the last week. What a difference that makes.  :)