Author Topic: Wondering If I Should Shave My Head  (Read 9154 times)

Offline 2Young4This

• Learning the way of Sly
Wondering If I Should Shave My Head
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »
Hey everyone!

So I've just joined this forum today, and would really appreciate everyone's opinions on my hair situation. I'd like to give a little context first.

So I am in third year university and am 20 years old, and for the last year or so I have been self-conscious about my hair. The thing is, I'm someone who's always nitpicked my appearance, so I'm not sure if my hair i actually thinning or if it's just some Body Dysmorphic Disorder I've developed. From the friends I've asked, all of them say my hair looks fine, and I've never received a negative comment regarding my hair. However, I still can't seem to shake this inadequacy I see with it, as my hair line is not straight and some areas are a little thin.

Essentially I would like your opinion on whether I should shave my head or not. As I said, I am 20 years old, and am single, so one of my greatest worries is that I'll no longer be attractive to the opposite sex. I fully accept that one day I will shave my head and I honestly love the idea, I just feel very self-conscious about doing it at university where almost no student has this type of hair 'style'. If there's anyone out there around my age, I would really love your insight into how shaving your head affected your success with university-age women, and how you found the experience in general.

I've attached a picture here of myself. I fully acknowledge that this picture doesn't look like I have a hair issue at all, but I attached it because I think it shows my face well enough that people can judge whether I would look good with a shaved head. Thank you so much!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:51:20 AM by 2Young4This »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Wondering If I Should Shave My Head
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
Well,your a good looking guy, head shape looks fine. Don't see why you could not shave your head with these features going for you. The question would you look better or not ? That is hard to say without a comparison picture. I can tell you if I had your hair , I would not be shaving.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
I'm with magoo. Your hair looks good. At this point, if I were you I wouldn't shave it simply because you MIGHT be thinning. I'd hold onto it and try to stop worrying about it until you have to. On the other hand, if you are curious about shaving and think it's a look you want to try, then go for it. You can always grow your hair back. You've got a good face. You'd look good bald, too.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
Here are my two cents as someone who has no hair loss issues but has no hair and is rather happy about that fact.  If you're interested in shaving your head, absolutely no reason not to.  You'll be surprised how relatively little may be said, if your experience is similar to mine.  It's my general belief, that unless a guy has a horribly misshapen head, if he has a good facial structure, he is going to look good with hair or without hair.  Indeed, in some senses, I think a lack of hair only enhances good facial structure.  You're handsome, you have a symmetrical, nice face.  Ergo, I think you would look equally good without hair.  Having said that, I don't see any sign of thinning, so no reason you should feel you NEED to shave.  (And I agree with folks on here that, once a guy does get to a point in his hair loss, he NEEDS to go very, very short and/or shave.  You are not that guy.)  So, you're from Canada, you'll be wearing a hat for the next 17 months of the year anyway (kidding), so why not try it out?

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »
I'll respond as a guy who is bald by choice.  I have a full head of hair, but I choose to shave my head.

Looks like you have plenty of hair and it looks good on you, so the question is a matter of hair-style.  Some guys like to hold onto their hair as long as possible.  Some just like the bald look and go for it.  You have a choice.  Either is acceptable.

If you do shave your head, or go for a very short buzz, I'd keep the beard. They go well together.  Here in North Carolina, there are lots of young men who shave their heads or wear extremely short buzz haircuts.  But then our weather is warmer than in Canada.

I like the joke about wearing a hat in Canada for 17 months out of the year. 

Welcome to SBG.  You'll find a nice group of guys here who know a lot about head shaving.

(My user name was inspired by a Canadian. He always called me Mr. Zed.  He's from Three Hills, Alberta)

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:00:34 AM »
BBC does not compute..like costanza said its like using a wheelchair for fun

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
njbill, try to step out of your own head for a moment and realize that not everybody is hampered by the same body perception issues. It's possible for someone to think that bald looks good and to desire that as just another hair style.

You may not understand it, but there are those of us who actually like being bald, whether it's by nature or by choice.

After all, there are people who actually like liver. And kidneys. That, I'll never understand.  8)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »
Your hair looks great to me...but if you want to shave it, go for it! It'll grow back if you don't like it!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
I'll chime in, but mostly in support of the chorus above. You look great as you are.

Likewise, I think you'll look great with a shaved head. The dark eyebrows, your eyes and beard will become even more dramatic. Works either way I think.

As you noted, if you do shave you will stand out in a crowd. The question is - how do you feel about being one who has the courage to be different? For some (many?) that instills greater self-confidence in being who you are and who you want to be. For others, unfortunately, being "different" becomes a negative. Only you know yourself well enough to answer.

Although I am clearly not you, I'd shave it off to experience it (for at least 30 days). Experience the freedom of not worrying about how your hair looks, is in straight, etc. If you don't like it, it will grow back quickly enough. Regardless of whether you keep it shaved or not you will learn a lot about yourself.

If you poke around the threads here long enough you'll find a lot of "I wish I'd done this sooner" comments. And in the comments above mine several of the guys noted they are "bald by choice" (as I am).
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 09:11:15 PM »
IMO as much as I love having a bald head, I would advise you against shaving at this point in time.  You still have a lot of hair to work with and I'd enjoy it while I still could.  It's ultimately your decision but you look fine as you are.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:14:08 PM »
Your hair may or may not be thinning, but that tends to be a very gradual process so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.   I started noticing some recession when I was 20 and was well into my 30s before I really started to look bald.

I haven't been on a college campus in a long time but I'm a little surprised to hear that you haven't noticed any other shaved heads there.  I would have thought there would be a few.  It's not uncommon for guys in their 20s to be significantly bald.

No need for you to shave your head right now unless you really want to. I will say, though, that if you do shave it and get an idea of what it looks like, it can help alleviate a lot of anxiety.  Once you know that it looks OK, you can stop worrying about the hair loss, even if you decide to let your hair grow back for a while.  And college is the perfect time to experiment with your appearance.  When you're 30 and working in an office somewhere you may feel a bit more reluctant to make big changes in your appearance.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline invaray

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
Your hair does not look to be thinning. You look like a picture of what a full head of hair is supposed to look like.

I would just let it be.
shine and share

Offline tofur99

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
To be honest man, it kind of bugs me when guys get bent out of shape about hair loss when they still have a full head of hair.  Just sayin.  If you were a norwood 3 with diffuse thinning over the top of your head and crown, then we'd have something to talk about.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
For some reason I can't see the picture, but I'll just assume that based on everyone else's comments, that your hair looks fine.

I agree with Razor, college is the best time to experiment with your looks.  When I was in college I grew my hair out long for a couple of years and then cut it short when it was time to graduate and get in the "real world".  I buzzed it once for about 6 months in my late 20's and then grew it back out.  If you don't like the buzzed or bald head, you can always grow it back out. 

And I will tell you from experience that the ladies do like the shaved head.  Nothing like a hot, attractive lady rubbing your head and feeling good doing it!  And yes, if you have a beard already, keep it.  Goes well with the bald look.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline 2Young4This

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »
Hey everyone!

Thank you all so much for the replies. They were honestly so helpful to calm me down about any worries I have with my hair. I think for now I'll definitely keep my hair the way it is, but I definitely still want to shave it in the coming years! Thanks again and I'll update you all with anything else!

Enter your email address: