Author Topic: Wanting a Smooth Head Shave, 1st timer!!  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Robby

• Learning the way of Sly
Wanting a Smooth Head Shave, 1st timer!!
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »
Hi & new to this site, as i want badly to shave my head super smooth bald, as my hair is falling out due to medical treatments & am 53 years old.  Is it best to go to a barber for a hot lather head shave or do it myself? Which is the best & I plan on keeping it Bald & lastly, any encouraging words to take the plunge & go for the Bald, as worried about head shape & if it will fit me & my work environment is professional? Any suggestions & encouragement would be greatly appreciated!! thank You In Advance!!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Wanting a Smooth Head Shave, 1st timer!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:06:16 PM »
Hi Robby, welcome to the group, you will find there are many great guys here willing to help. So you want to join the bald brotherhood, good, and I hope you like it.

I think you would enjoy having a barber shave your head the first time, it's a great experience. You can find a ton of information on this site about maintaining a smooth bald head. I wouldn't worry about you're work environment, a shaved head is a mainstream and accepted hairstyle these days.

Most of us here absolutely love sporting a bald head. Over nearly seven years, I have attempted to grow my hair back numerous times, but I always go back to shaving my head everyday. I think it looks great and feels awesome. Also a plus, he older guys usually look younger without thinning of in my case, white hair.

Good luck with your treatments, and ask any questions you have.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:53:57 PM »
Treat yourself to a barbershop shave!  But call around and make sure that it is a shop that specializes in/does straight razor head shaves!  It is such a treat!  Pamper yourself - you deserve it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:03:32 AM »
Treat yourself to the barber shop for your first shave, then learn to do it yourself.  Make sure the barber you go to does straight razor head shaves - many will only do clipper shaves (which are not really shaved at all). Don't worry about the office, shaved heads are common in professional environments.  All of us had worries about head shape, but in reality there are very few guys with a head shape that do not look better shaved than thinning hair.
SlyBeard

Offline Robby

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
This is all great advice and a fantastic site with tons of great information.  I will do the smooth straight razor head shave at a barber this weekend.  Also I have been researching and will learn to shave my own head after that and will not worry about head shape & will just enjoy the freedom of no more hair.  Another question is what about bumps or other things on the head & how do you keep it smooth and shiny?  Do you use a shaving oil first, than a shave soap & a moisturizer to keep it smooth and shiny? How often should a person shave the head per week without irritation or is that what the oil is for? Just curious and excited for this new adventure of Being Bald, Smooth  & Shiny!! Thanks for all the Great Advice!!

Offline Thathawkguy001

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 12:50:48 PM »
BBC here for a few days now. My best advice is go in and ask for a foil shave if they have one or a straight razor and be turned away from mirror. Just go for it and do it, itll feel awesome and look your hair is already going so trust me itll look far better than that.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »
Just like face shaving, we all have different reactions to our heads being shaved.  Some guys have more sensitive skin and daily shaving is not an option.  Some guys can tolerate a head shave twice per day.  There is also some adjustment to being shaved, and you may experience sensitivity for the first week or two, and then then the skin will tolerate it better.  There is really no way to know that before you start.  But if you experience sensitivity for face shaving, you may experience the same with your scalp.  The same for razor bumps.  As to shin, that kind of depends on how oily your skin is. I have naturally oily skin, so get a bit of shine naturally until the stubble comes back, about 24 hours.  If you skin is not naturally oily, most moisturizers or sun screens will also cause it to shine.

Most guys can get by with shaving every other day.  If you really like the smooth feel, you will want to dry daily shaving.  If your hair is dark, you will want a daily shave to reduce the appearance of the shadow.  I shaved daily for my first 5 years because I liked the stubble free feel.  My hair is almost completely white, so I do not have a shadow.  No I shave every other day.  I still like the smooth feel, but I just get lazy.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 01:09:38 PM »
It seems everyone has to find their own routine that works. First, you get a smoother shave by shaving every 2nd or 3rd day. But if you're like me, I want it smooth everyday.

My daily routine starts with using my foil shaver on the sides and back because it grows so flat, it's hard for the razor to work. Then in the shower, I run not water on my head for awhile, then soap up with Dial Coconut Water bar soap. I use a  Extreme 3 disposable razor. They are slightly curved. They redesigned them last year and are not as good as before, but they still work for me. I then rinse with very cold water, and after drying, apply . Once it dries, my head shines like chrome. A few times a week I apply a moisturiser. Once a week, you should exfoliate right before shaving.

It might take a few weeks before you can shave everyday without irritation. If you get any razor burn, use Bump Patrol. Well, that's my routine. Good luck, I'll bet your excited. It would be nice to see before and after pictures!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Robby

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 04:45:42 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice & can hardly wait to try these & take the plunge to be Bald and Smooth!! Awesome Advice & Extra Excited To Do This & Keep it Maintained!!