Author Topic: Reactions  (Read 11112 times)

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
Re: Reactions
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
When I first shaved my the overall reaction was positive.  I had one lady at work say, "Todd, no!".  Everyone else thought it looked pretty good.  I haven't noticed if I get noticed more.  I should be on the lookout for that.   ;)   Truthfully, though, that's not why I started shaving my head.  I did it because I had wanted to for years and was finally free of a wife who hated the look.  I love what some of you are saying about feeling empowered.  I feel that way as well.  Shaving my head was one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Offline Professor Rorschack

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »
My own personal experience hasn't had any significant reactions. Most of the people I see on a day-to-day basis already knew I was considering going sly because my Alopecia I have was so noticeable. So, there wasn't quite the "shock" value that most guys experience.

However, my sister also has Alopecia, but she lost EVERYTHING (hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, etc.). We were at a water park one day, so my sister went without her wig and didn't bother stenciling on her eyebrows. As we were walking, a random lady walked up, obviously thinking my sister had cancer, gave my sister a big hug and whispered, "You are so brave. Keep fighting that damned disease!" (or something to that effect). We were all sort of caught off guard (my sister especially), so she just thanked the woman and we walked away in silence! On the one hand, my sister felt awful for allowing this woman to continue thinking she had cancer when she didn't, but on the other hand my sister wanted to spare the woman the awkwardness of finding out her assumption (and awkward hug) was wrong. To this day, we still laugh about that!
"Mere longevity cannot render life meaningful any more than brevity has the power to make it meaningless."
-Peter Rollins

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »
I'm new to the bald look as well.  I think reactions from others is in part a result of how you present yourself out in the wild.  I have projected a positive attitude toward others which in turn has yielded positive feedback.  This may not necessarily always be the case over time but as a general rule it should apply.  This appears to be your experience as well.  Good luck!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 09:54:07 PM »
Im almost 6 months in to being bbc. Many of the reactions i got were positive, or neutral, eveolving to positive. The only real negative reaction is from one of my close friends ( one and the same with who helped me shave at first, he supported it, but thought it was something i was doing as an means to an end, tempoary, as it were, which at the time was my plan).  Now each time he sees me, he says i should grow it back. Hell no, i like how i look bald much better. My usual reply to him is, well you should shave bald (actually i really do think he should at least give it a try, as he has a bald spot on the back of his head that seems to be growing a little each time i see him) . 
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »
I've gotten quite a few compliments and the ones that don't compliment me, just stand there and marvel at the shape of my head.  Funny, nobody gave me a compliment when I had a full head of hair.

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 08:56:28 AM »
Funniest reaction I got was from an Eastern European coworker who said I looked like a Russian hitman when I shaved my head.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »
I think the sudden change is what gets the reactions but once they got used to my look, they don't pay much attention.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 04:02:37 PM »
After 2 or 3 weeks people get used to it and stop commenting.

I changed my profile pic on Facebook recently, and was surprised to get a couple comments on my look. It's been nearly 8 years! But one gal I've known for many years said " you are one of the few that can pull it off and make it look really good, very handsome Mike!!". She made my day 😁
Bald by choice, and loving it!