Author Topic: What is your fitness routine  (Read 15221 times)

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
What is your fitness routine
« on: December 30, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
So I have been working on getting into shape for the past couple of years, and I spent about a year and a half doing lots of cardio and conditioning work.  For the last 4 months or so, I've been focusing on lifting.  Right now I am at the end of week 13 of Stronglifts 5x5 and could not be happier with my progress.  In addition to the 5x5 I have been focusing on compound accessory work like dips and pull ups.  Things are heading in the right direction although I am far from where I want to be.

What is your fitness routine and how is it working for you?

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: What is your fitness routine
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
I have been on about a three year journey to get myself in better shape.  I started with cleaning up my diet, which for me was reducing carbs and portions.  I also started cardio (primarily walking and jogging on a tread mill), working myself up to over three miles of running on a treadmill.  I also include a light weight lifting workout.  I had to stop the running last year due to a bad stress fracture in my foot, so I increased my weight lifting intensity and frequency.  I lost about 30 pounds and dropped 5 - 6 inches from my waist in the first two years.  Now I have gained back over 20 pounds, but in the right places.  I have maintained my lower waist line, but gained muscle in my chest, back, arms, and legs.
SlyBeard

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »
I started Insanity in the fall and loved it. I am now on the second phase of a similar workout routine. It by the same group that makes insanity. It's T25 and I just started the beta round.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Jungle Juice

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
COOL!! I've been at it for 2years. I went from 262lbs to 185lbs(Intermitted fasting diet) for a year and a 1/2(lost it fast).Now I'm back at 226lbs doing 5x5 heavy weight lifting and eating lots of bread and dairy again(weakness) which got me looking like a swole beer drinker and I don't drink.2014 I'm getting back lean but no less than 200lbs.Sticking with the 5x5 workouts, but of course changing diet.My routine on Monday(upper body)Wednesday(legs) Friday(upper body)Good luck fellas, wish you nothing but the best..

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:53:43 AM »
Great job, Guys.  Find something that you like and keep it up.  The payoff is amazing. 

COOL!! I've been at it for 2years. I went from 262lbs to 185lbs(Intermitted fasting diet) for a year and a 1/2(lost it fast).Now I'm back at 226lbs doing 5x5 heavy weight lifting and eating lots of bread and dairy again(weakness) which got me looking like a swole beer drinker and I don't drink.2014 I'm getting back lean but no less than 200lbs.Sticking with the 5x5 workouts, but of course changing diet.My routine on Monday(upper body)Wednesday(legs) Friday(upper body)Good luck fellas, wish you nothing but the best..

I'm really liking the 5x5.  I went from 260 to 157 in about 2 years counting calories and over the past year or so I've made it back to 195 because I like carbs and junk food.  While I never quit working out, my diet was sh*t.  My goal for the 1st 6 months of 2014 is to get down to about 10% body fat so I can see what that looks like.  After that, I'm not sure. 

Offline Jungle Juice

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
10% body fat is a pretty good BMI for me also, but for now I GOT to clean my diet.I got down to 14% body fat once ;D..I'm 42 at 5'11 and went from fun to working out as a part time job now.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
Plenty of good full body lifts ( Squats, Box squats, Deads, Sumo Deads ) lots of pull ups, push ups and core stuff.....maybe once in awhile the bodybuildng/bro lifting will happen, gonna get back into Kettlebell stuff as well.

Can't forget sled/prowler drags.

......and Cardio.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:43:24 PM by RyanJP »

Offline The Sheep

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »
My fitness is mostly cardio stuff.

I run 4 times a week at the moment because I am training for a half marathon in March. I've actually got to the stage where i really enjoy running and I will continue to try new things after the half marathon.

I do a bit of cross training to avoid injury by going to gym classes at my local leisure centre.

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
My fitness is mostly cardio stuff.

I run 4 times a week at the moment because I am training for a half marathon in March. I've actually got to the stage where i really enjoy running and I will continue to try new things after the half marathon.

I do a bit of cross training to avoid injury by going to gym classes at my local leisure centre.

Sounds great.  Is this your first 1/2?  I did my first in October last year and crossing the finish line is an amazing feeling.  I am going to be signing up to run my first full in October this year and will start running in the next month or so.  Keep up the good work, running is fun.

Offline Siiyq

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:45 PM »
I do weight lifting 6 days a week, 2 hours a day.

Monday - Chest and Triceps
Tuesday - Shoulders and Abs
Wednesday - Back, Traps, and Biceps
Thursday - Usually rest day, with 5k run
Friday - Legs and Firearms
Saturday - Cardio and Abs
Sunday - Back, Traps, and Biceps

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
I do weight lifting 6 days a week, 2 hours a day.

Monday - Chest and Triceps
Tuesday - Shoulders and Abs
Wednesday - Back, Traps, and Biceps
Thursday - Usually rest day, with 5k run
Friday - Legs and Firearms
Saturday - Cardio and Abs
Sunday - Back, Traps, and Biceps

Nice!  I've switched over to Madcow 5x5 and am lifting 3 days per week at about 1.5 to 2 hours per day. 

Monday: Squat, Bench, Row (various accessory work: dips, core, pull ups . . . etc)
Tuesday: Run
Wednesday: Squat, Military Press, Deadlift (and accessory work)
Thursday: Run
Friday: Squat, Bench, Row (accessory work)
Sat/Sun: rest and have fun

I am signed up for my first fully marathon in October so I am very soon going to have to start training for that.

Offline Siiyq

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
Nice!  I've switched over to Madcow 5x5 and am lifting 3 days per week at about 1.5 to 2 hours per day. 

Monday: Squat, Bench, Row (various accessory work: dips, core, pull ups . . . etc)

I am signed up for my first fully marathon in October so I am very soon going to have to start training for that.

Awesome! How long is the marathon? Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! I've signed up for my first 5K, this May that I'm pretty excited for.it would be a huge milestone for me, being i weighed 300+ lb 3 years ago
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:20:52 AM by Siiyq »

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
I've only just started StrongLifts.  I'm doing it by the book, which means that having done day 1 of week 3 today I'm still not lifting enormous amounts yet.  Definitely moving in the right direction though, and for the first time in my life I look forward to training.

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »

Awesome! How long is the marathon? Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! I've signed up for my first 5K, this May that I'm pretty excited for.it would be a huge milestone for me, being i weighed 300+ lb 3 years ago

The marathon is 26.2 miles long and will be the longest distance I have ever run by 2x.  Yet, it is a lot of work, but there is nothing like passing the finish line after training so hard.  Good luck on the 5 K, running is awesome and can be quite addicting. 

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »
I've only just started StrongLifts.  I'm doing it by the book, which means that having done day 1 of week 3 today I'm still not lifting enormous amounts yet.  Definitely moving in the right direction though, and for the first time in my life I look forward to training.

Keep up with it, I did SL for about 4 months or so and have now been on Madcow for about 2 months, maybe longer.  Focus on good form when the weights are light and it will carry you through when the weights get heavy.  Any they get heavy sooner then you think.

Have fun.