Author Topic: Difference between #1 and #0?  (Read 85554 times)

Offline Faustus

• Learning the way of Sly
Difference between #1 and #0?
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

Quick bit of background information: I'm 22 and my hair is thinning on the top. As a result, I've been getting a buzz-cut which seems to help some. I've done a #2, #1.5, and #1.

My question is: how much different is a #1 to a #0?

I'm finding that even with a #1, it's still quite noticeable (more so from behind). I've added a few images. The shorter hair is a #1. The longer hair is about 2 months after a #1.5.

Any opinions on how a #0 would look?

Thanks

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Difference between #1 and #0?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
Zero is as short as it gets but doesn't beat a razor.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »
Zero is as short as it gets but doesn't beat a razor.

Actually, there is 000, 0000 -- all the way up to six zeroes (I think), but at that point it's um, splitting hairs.   :*))

Once you get down to a #1, you should really be fearless about going shorter, because it will grow back in a few days.    Buzz down to a zero and in three or four days it will grow back to a #1.  There's really no risk at this point.

And once you get down to zero, anything shorter will not look much different.  At that point, just shave it off because no one will notice the difference -- but it will feel a lot different.  You can get back to a #1 from a a full shave in a week.

So what are you waiting for?    ;D

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
In baseball terms... zero is like hitting a triple.  Why go for a triple when you can hit a HOME RUN with a razor! O0  I love to hit HOME RUNS all the time.  Keep us posted in your road to slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
I agree with Razor X.

Once you go below #1, you might as well shave it all off with a razor blade. It will look about the same, but it feels much better shaved smooth.

Also the 'shadow' that you see in your photos with the buzz will be much less noticeable when you shave it bald. And in the RARE case that you don't like it shaved, you're only a few days until your back at a #1.

But do apply the 30 day rule should you shave.  There are many guys on this site who will testify: I struggled with making the shaving decision, but the moment I shaved my head I was wonder why I waited so long.

A shaved head is incredible, whether Bald by Nature or Bald by Choice ( BBN or BBC).

Let me urge you to shave your head now. Take the plunge. Go for it. You'll like it.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
With a 0 buzz, your head will feel like sandpaper or Velcro.  At that point, you'll have an idea of what you'd look like shaved, but as the others have said, the feeling of being shaved is completely different (and infinitely better!)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »
I don't think I could cope with a zero cut.  The satisfaction of a smooth daily shave is SO worth the effort.

Try it. I'm betting you'll like it.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Andrei

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:48:39 PM »
IMO the #0 is better than the #1, but the razor is even better than the #0.
Experiment with the clipper settings and then with the razor too and see what you like best.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:14:10 AM »
IMO the #0 is better than the #1, but the razor is even better than the #0.
Experiment with the clipper settings and then with the razor too and see what you like best.

Agree with Andrei

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »
All good advice...if you tried shaving and didn't like it you can come back to a buzz in a few days or a week. Good luck.

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »
The pics entitled 'short' are the best, in my opinion.

Tom

Offline MarkMusicNYC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 01:31:14 AM »
I'm assuming you have adjustable clippers--the kind with the lever on the side and the plastic guards?

A #1 guard leaves hair at 1/8 of an inch, or about 7 days hair growth (which is, on average, 1/2 an inch a month).

Take the guard off and push the lever so the clippers are in the longest position. That's also called a #1 (because it's the same as a #1 blade on detachable clippers) and leaves hair at 3/32, or about 5 days of hair growth.

The lever in the middle position is called a 0A (zero A), and will leave about 2.5 days of hair growth.

The lever in the closed position is called a 000 (triple zero), and will leave you with 1 days' growth. That's the shortest that adjustable clippers can cut. FWIW, most people would perceive a head clippered with a 000 as being shaved, so there's very little appreciable difference between this length and a razor. Although I know some guys who have cold feet about being sly tend to think it's the difference between some hair and no hair. You will in fact have some hair, but unless it's very dark and thick it'll be hard to see from even a couple of feet away.

Offline merase

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 10:53:17 PM »
As a person who varies his number on his buzz cuts from time to time, I must say that the 0 leaves your head feel all sandpaper-y. It's an odd feeling, but it does come close to matching the appearance of a shaved head. The 1 is just a really short buzz cut. I think that you'd be most happy just with a shaved head though. Feels much better than a 0.

Offline kcmeder

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
Hi guys! I'm new here but not to the bald look. Mother Nature and genetics took my hair at 25 and I'm 60 :D. I tried the longer look and I looked like a scarecrow. I've been shaving or using the #1 or #0 look for a good 25 years and would never think of having my "cul-de-sac" even an inch long. My advise is to experiment like the rest of the guys wrote, find a length to your liking and stick with it.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:43 PM »
Hi guys! I'm new here but not to the bald look. Mother Nature and genetics took my hair at 25 and I'm 60 :D. I tried the longer look and I looked like a scarecrow. I've been shaving or using the #1 or #0 look for a good 25 years and would never think of having my "cul-de-sac" even an inch long. My advise is to experiment like the rest of the guys wrote, find a length to your liking and stick with it.

Welcome mate!
Lynchy