Author Topic: Are there places you feel uncomfortable / less comfortable being sly?  (Read 32317 times)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Are there places you feel uncomfortable / less comfortable being sly?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:58 AM »
It's not about being religious or non-religious or attending services. It's just that you are literally surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of churches.  I would have thought that you'd have visited on a school trip or something to study the art and architecture.

I went to an all-boys boarding school in quite a remote part of the country (northern Scotland) for several years, and the school trips we did were to oil rigs and industrial places like that. The school wasn't particularly motivated by culture, to say the least. I then went to school in the middle east for a couple of years and there literally were no churches. I do like architecture, but of the modern variety. Throw me into the middle of Manhattan or Dubai or Hong Kong and I stand there with my eyes wide open and my tongue hanging out, but churches / royal palaces / battlegrounds etc just bore me. I know, I'm a bad person :(

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 02:05:54 AM »
Was in a church for a funeral this past Monday. I have no problems showing my bald head anywhere, anytime.
In the first few weeks after going sly I had the feeling that people were looking up to me more often than before, this has changed, it might only be that I have gotten used to it. I guess that being bald, 6f6 and 220lbs doesn't help to go unnoticed

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
I too have a problem being bald in church.  I sit in the very back where no one will stare at my bald head.  For some reason my ear get red, warm and I get this uncomfortable feeling that everybody behind me is staring at my bald head. Everywhere else there is no problem.  I'm coming into my third anniversary of being bald on September 09 and I can't see myself with hair again even though I have a head full of hair.

This pass Sunday a new minister joined the church and to my amazement, he is completely shaved bald (MPB).  As always after the service, we introduced ourselves and he told me he liked my look. Two bald men.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:35:19 AM by usmcpelon »

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
Any where that has their Air Conditioner temp set too cold !!!!

Slynito

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
I travel to the PRC a lot and everyone has to check out this >6 foot, 240 pound, bald westerner, with a beard. On many occasions as I pass restaurants people will stop eating and stare out the window at me. I always wonder what they are saying to each other. I have been to cities where I have not seen any other Westerner for a month...so I'm a spectacle and not necessarily the chrome dome.

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »

Hehe...good one  :*))
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

Ain't no such thing.     ;)

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 12:51:40 PM »
Very true, good post :)

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I am a BALD  show off  - - -I can't go enough places to show off my SLICK MELON  - - -
I love being bald and love to show it

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
I am a BALD  show off  - - -I can't go enough places to show off my SLICK MELON  - - -
I love being bald and love to show it

My kinda guy. I feel the same.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
I can relate to slynito's comment re China.  I do some work in China and as a 70 year old with bald head and white beard I find I am often asked to pose with locals for a photo.  Once one person takes a photo they all line up; I suppose they assume you are some kind of celebrity.

If someone reads this post could they tell me how to post an introduction and photo.  I've been lurking for some time and reading lots of posts.  From Australia and have been sly for 7 years and bearded for 45 years.

Always wanted to go bald but took some time to just shave it all off.  Now wouldn't want it any other way.  I find a bald head very liberating; need lots of sunscreen in the Oz sun.
Roger

Slynito

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
I can relate to slynito's comment re China.  I do some work in China and as a 70 year old with bald head and white beard I find I am often asked to pose with locals for a photo.  Once one person takes a photo they all line up; I suppose they assume you are some kind of celebrity.

That's so funny...I get that also. I was standing around outside of a store (checking out the perdy young thangz) last Chinese New Year and men and women took turns putting their arms around me and taking pictures. So I would take pictures of them while they were taking them of me. The Chinese are nice folks and can be a lot of fun.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »
I don't really think about it anymore. I wear a hat when I go in the sun so I don't get lobster Dome, and a beanie in the winter to keep my rock warm but that is about it.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
I occasionally have to go up into the Andes in winter where it's very cold. Even if I had hair, I'd wear something warm, other than that, no. Its been fifteen years and, by now, were I to show up with my head covered or, worse, with hair, it would excite considerable comment.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
Never have I felt uncomfortable anywhere about being bald.  I walk in like I own the frickin' place.   O0
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Enter your email address: