Author Topic: The journey from denial to acceptance  (Read 6436 times)

Offline samoanseb8

• Sly Jr.
  • when life hands you lemons...?
The journey from denial to acceptance
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:33:30 AM »
Although I had only noticed it a year ago, my hair has gradually been receding until today, where the frontal part of my hair is fading pretty fast, and I'm only 23 which sux. But the thought never even crossed my mind a few years ago that I would be balding, and I think the worst of it is behind me, but I still have a few lapses where I lose confidence and think about trying to do something about it (electro therapy, transplant) which are expensive and unreliable. When something like MPB happens you need to develop a thicker skin...They have a saying here in Australia "Harden the F#$k up!!" which I'm identifying with...Sometimes my mates have a dig and say I look like budda and I'm gettin old fast, but then again, there isn't a person on this earth who hasn't got insecurities and I'm thankful for a healthy body and a positive attitude...and I am thankful the look suits me somewhat and have a good shaped head...It does make me look a hell of a lot scarier than I really am, but I can attribute my tattoo to that as well....at the end of the day the sooner I accept my future as a chrome dome the better....It still is tough though....

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
Re: The journey from denial to acceptance
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »
Your right on bro....a healthy body and a positive attitude are worth their weight in gold...I started balding in my early 20's and by the time I was 30 hardly had any hair on the back of my head and very thin on top. I never let the negative comments bother me one bit and never even considered transplants or systems, I was who I was and if people didn't like it , well that was their problem not mine.

As far as looking scary, just remember that people ultimately judge you by your attitude and how you act. If you try to act tough and use 4 letter words all the time then many people may hold you in a negative light, but if your courteous to people and have a caring and loving attitude people will hold you in high regard no matter how many tats you have or what you look like....I think you carry the sly look well and wish you the very best.....hang in there bro..    O0

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »

As far as looking scary, just remember that people ultimately judge you by your attitude and how you act. If you try to act tough and use 4 letter words all the time then many people may hold you in a negative light, but if your courteous to people and have a caring and loving attitude people will hold you in high regard no matter how many tats you have or what you look like....I think you carry the sly look well and wish you the very best.....hang in there bro..    O0

What he said! And ...although you look like a big guy, and the tattoo can be intimidating - just flash that smile that you're wearing in the picture, and people's perception of you will change immediately!  O0

Welcome to SBG, bro!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
Hang in there Bro....it gets easier.  Before long you will not be able to imagine yourself with the hair.  Looks good bro..and like Ironhorse....keep flashing that smile and it will win them over.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »
Don't worry dude...

you'll just have the upperhand on them in life..

in one way or another we change when we get older...some of those bro's will go bald...some will balloon up..or get uglier.....

you're just gonna be the confident bro they come to for advice on how to deal with it!

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:28:03 PM »
samoanseb8 i got you by about 3 years. im only 20 and my hairlines drastically worse than yours. i just have a little strip in the front. even when i shave my head you can still see it. its pretty depressing but you have to just deal with it. ur a good lokin dude so you should have no prob with the ladies.

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:59:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum buddy!! just 21 here and yeh it does suck, but I'm sure you agree, once you shave the melon the confidence that comes with it is awesome!! And just rememeber Chicks dig the bald guys!!

Offline vampire

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:19:42 AM »
Hello, only some  rock our boat LOL.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:32 AM »
Your right on bro....a healthy body and a positive attitude are worth their weight in gold...I started balding in my early 20's and by the time I was 30 hardly had any hair on the back of my head and very thin on top. I never let the negative comments bother me one bit and never even considered transplants or systems, I was who I was and if people didn't like it , well that was their problem not mine.

DITTO!!!!

Welcome to the forum.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »
Hey Sam--Glad to have you with us.  As the others have said you are a good looking dude.  Just keep flashing that smile to win people over.  Dig the tat!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 01:14:45 PM »
......and EXCELLENT tattoo m8
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline samoanseb8

• Sly Jr.
  • when life hands you lemons...?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the positive comments guys...good to know there are people around to talk to about it...Its kind of funny actually, balding is like a "don't go there" subject with a lot of guys, i think it has a lot to do with feeling inferior to those with hair, which is ridiculous, but is a psychological problem mainly because of the media. The media associates bald and negative things so it is tough in that respect. I'm not too sure what the consensus is with women about bald men, but I figure it's whatever someone is attracted to. Some guys are attracted to big girls, some like girls with tattoos and piercings and some don't...I figure it's the same with Women.  But I have far to many things to be thankful for to be upset about going bald. Life goes on right!

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:53:34 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the positive comments guys...good to know there are people around to talk to about it...Its kind of funny actually, balding is like a "don't go there" subject with a lot of guys, i think it has a lot to do with feeling inferior to those with hair, which is ridiculous, but is a psychological problem mainly because of the media. The media associates bald and negative things so it is tough in that respect. I'm not too sure what the consensus is with women about bald men, but I figure it's whatever someone is attracted to. Some guys are attracted to big girls, some like girls with tattoos and piercings and some don't...I figure it's the same with Women.  But I have far to many things to be thankful for to be upset about going bald. Life goes on right!

You said it, seb.  Keep on rolling and living life.