Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362686 times)

andrewswenson

« Reply #675 on: April 30, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
All in the shower (I have a fogless mirror):

-I use Dr. Bronner's Unscented Liquid Soap from head to toe. Or I use Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap head to toe. These are 100% natural, rich lather soaps that are also very economical. The Bronner's liquid is slightly more though because I just dilute it with purified water when it is half full. As opposed to the Pine Tar which is a bar.

-Then when it's time to shave, Kiss My Face Unscented Shave Cream on head, shave against the grain on all areas so I don't have to lather and repeat.

-Step back into the waterstream and rinse it all off.

-Then the same with my face except only against the grain on the neck.

-Step back into the waterstream and rinse again.

Turn the water COLD, and stick my head in to close those pores quick.

Step out, PAT DRY, and Aveeno 24 HR lotion from head to toe.

BAM!

Offline BrianFromCalifornia

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #676 on: April 30, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
Quick question on beards which is a new thing for me. Mine is so itchy and dry! Any ideas to prevent the beard from itching?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #677 on: April 30, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »
Quick question on beards which is a new thing for me. Mine is so itchy and dry! Any ideas to prevent the beard from itching?
I use shampoo and let it sit for  five minutes before washing it out. Some  good hair grease rubbed in also helps.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline G

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly since 6/1/2012
    • The Philosophers' Stone
« Reply #678 on: April 30, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
Hey!   >:D

It's been a while since I last visited. I'm a bit lazy now that I've been sly for two years. I shave twice a week because I work many hours alone in a workshop then it's straight home and when I can get a chance to go out I like to look sly of course.

I like to shave at the sink. For a while I was using Head slick then the formula became thinned down so now I just use edge which is economical. I usually go with the grain at first pass which gets the majority then against for the final scraping. I do it by sound .... I listen to how the razor sounds and I use many short strokes over the same areas pressing not too hard. I use a six blade razor by Dorco which has never cut me unless the area becomes tacky. Which hazel at the end.

I do seem to cut my head bumping it everywhere though which sucks because it's a pain in the ass to shave around cuts so when I do cut it I'll wait a week to 10 days before I shave and scrape over the wound.

Cogito, Ergo Sum

andrewswenson

« Reply #679 on: April 30, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

1) Shave it off.
2) Stop using harsh drug store soaps or shampoos in it. Buy the natural stuff without sulfates, and then follow up with some pure jojoba oil or a quality lotion.

Offline BrianFromCalifornia

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #680 on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
Well if I shave it off it won't itch anymore and I won't need any oils. Do you mean shave it and let it grow back?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #681 on: May 01, 2014, 05:47:44 AM »
Well if I shave it off it won't itch anymore and I won't need any oils. Do you mean shave it and let it grow back?

When it comes to growing beards, you must have patience....They're going to itch at times, but the key is to try to maintain your beard as if you were maintaining your hair....only you're talking about a smaller area....After a good couple of months on average, your skin will get used to it and it will become less bothersome. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #682 on: May 01, 2014, 07:48:43 AM »

If you are like me, ANY area of your body that has been shaved is going to itch for the first couple of weeks when the hair starts to grow back. Shaving your beard and letting it grow back in probably is not going to do much except start the itching all over again.

I would just give it a little time.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

andrewswenson

« Reply #683 on: May 01, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »

No, I meant shave it and keep shaving it.

Or just get through that so-called "itchy phase".

Personally, I took care of my beard naturally and moisturized every day and although the itchyness did subside, it took more work to maintain a healthy beard by washing, combing, moisturizing, and keeping it neat than hair on my head.

Whether you want to keep it short or grow it long and not look like a dirty hippie, you gotta shape it and maintain it.

Good luck man, it's a journey.

Offline wbcb

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #684 on: May 26, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
Semi-reprinted from my 30 day rule post:

The Headblade ATX, although it seems like a cool idea, just doesn't seem to give me the control I want. After some initial attempts with it, I switched first to a Mach 3 (got some cuts, might not have gotten the knack yet), then to a Dorco 3-blade.

I'm having good success with the Dorco, Cremo Shave Cream, and Bump Patrol. Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between Bump Patrol and Clearhead? I shower, wash my head with St. Ives, then shave at the sink. I seemed to have a breakthrough when I started using the shaving pattern on the Bump Patrol brochure (basically down from crown toward the floor on all sides, then across the grain, rather than against it--then, I very carefully do some semi-against-the-grain work in a couple of "depressions" on the side of my head that always seem to defy the blade the longest).

Then I rinse with cold water and use either Bump Patrol or Clearhead. Later, I'll usually put on sunscreen I keep near the door, or Vaseline cocoa butter lotion.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #685 on: May 26, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
Like your sunscreen by the door idea. Might have to steal that one.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #686 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
I have been shaving with a safety razor for more than three months now. I've enjoyed using a brush and all different soaps and creams. The last two times I shaved my head, I used Headslick combined with Shave Secret as I have seen suggested here by a number of guys.

I have to say, these are the best two shaves I've gotten in the last several months - maybe even ever. While they don't smell as nice as some of the soaps and creams, I was able to get a nice lather and still used my brush. I think I am sold on this combo. I don't think my head has ever been thus smooth and I don't have any rough patches. Can't stop rubbing my head!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Johnz1986

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #687 on: May 31, 2014, 04:07:31 AM »
Usually every night before bed. I feel my day would be incomplete if I don't go for a clean head/face shave.

I have a Gillette fusion Mach 3 for my head and another set for my face. I also shave my body when I go surfing or going into a bodybuilding competition and that's another set of shaver.

Gillette gel is my choice of foam, I feel like I'm sponsored by Gillette LOL.

When I wake up in the morning before I go work I usually go for a shave routine again which for me makes my morning happier and ready to tackle the day!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:45:17 AM by John_rambo »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #688 on: May 31, 2014, 06:44:19 AM »
I like to add some essential oils at the end of the shave in my favorite scents. Less chemical than after shave cosmetics.

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #689 on: May 31, 2014, 07:05:47 AM »
Like your sunscreen by the door idea. Might have to steal that one.

Yes this is a good idea.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger