Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362641 times)

Offline ZachM

• Sly Jr.
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #585 on: October 15, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »
I'm fairly new to headshaving, but so far I've been shaving WTG with a Fusion and it works pretty good.  I just use a shaving gel normally after taking a hot shower to soften the hair.  I usually use the Matte HeadLube as I don't care for the shine.  I'm thinking about giving the HeadBlade a try though and some HeadSlick as well.  I keep hearing great things about it and I want to give against the grain a try. 

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #586 on: October 15, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
I use king of shaves pre-shave oil.

I've been thinking about getting the KOS oil, is it worth the cost?

I use KOS or Shave Secret. I buy KOS at Bed Bath and Beyond (don't forget your 20% coupon!) or Shave Secret at Walmart.  To me it's worth the expense. you ony need a few drops to rub onto your noggin prior to shaving. I apply the shaving cream on top of the oil. For me, this process has completely elminated nicks and rashes and has become a necessary part of the shaving process. Being shaved is a nice bad ass look. You can't look the part with nicked up scalp.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #587 on: October 15, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »
Thanks Razorhead, I might have to give it a shot!

theman

« Reply #588 on: October 16, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
Really enjoy all the posts and different things, ideas, etc..  If anyone says that they can't learn something on this board they are full of something and it is not knowledge.   ;)

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #589 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
Simple = Best

Splash head with hot water.
Apply 2 dollops of HeadSlick.
HeadBlade Sport/ATX against the grain all over.
Jump in shower, wash remaining HeadSlick off.
Apply HeadShed, it exfoliates the BBS dome and removes any dirt and grease. Wash off.
Cold water rinse.
Pat dry with towel (not rub)
Apply a generous amount of ClearHead all over the dome and neck.

Look smooth, for the day ahead, with an awesome shine.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:49:23 PM by BBCMark »

theman

« Reply #590 on: October 29, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »
Simple = Best

Slash head with hot water.
Apply 2 dollops of HeadSlick.
HeadBlade Sport/ATX against the grain all over.
Jump in shower, wash remaining HeadSlick off.
Apply HeadShed, it exfoliates the BBS dome and removes any dirt and grease. Wash off.
Cold water rinse.
Pat dry with towel (not rub)
Apply a generous amount of ClearHead all over the dome and neck.

Look smooth, for the day ahead, with an awesome shine.

Thanks Mark,

I think I might have been using to much HeadSlick, I also think I was pressing down to hard above my ears. 

Offline MarkMusicNYC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #591 on: November 06, 2012, 02:15:49 AM »
heres my bad shaving method
This is the dreaded eyebrow shaver sticks that ive used to shave my Chelsea-cut for quite a while....

OMG! Please stop using those eyebrow shaver things. They're designed for detail work, not for huge areas.

BTW, it's a myth that shaving hair from any part of your body--head, legs, whatever--will cause it to grow differently, not grow at all, etc. Hair growth happens beneath the skin. Running a blade along the surface of the skin won't impact that one way or the other.

benlen

« Reply #592 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
I'm new to head shaving, but my current routine is to do it every other day, because I have sensitive skin and still have relatively good coverage hair wise, so I can sport the "unshaven" look for a few days up to a week if I feel like it/don't want to buy  new razor.

I haven't tried any specialty razors like the Mach 3 or Headblade, but I have this 4 blade Bic razor which is pretty cheap/economical and offers a good shave.

I don't skimp on shaving cream, though. I like the Edge shaving cream (any of their sensitive blue stuff, haha). That provides a great face and head shave.

After I shave though, I like to take a cold towel and wrap it around my head. I read somewhere that, to get a good shave, you need to open your pores by using a hot water towel or having a shower, but also, to protect your skin, you should use cold water after a shave to close the pores.

Offline BaldLuke

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #593 on: December 06, 2012, 05:46:59 AM »
Hey Benlen, you should give the schick xtreme 3 razors a try, they are pretty cheap and bend laterally so it conforms to the shape of your scalp, slickest shave I've ever gotten is with them. They are easy to find too, pick up some shave secret to put under your shave gel, you will be amazed what a smooth shave you'll get and what a difference it makes! Keep going strong&smooth man, it looks great!

Offline ZachM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #594 on: December 09, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
I've changed my routine quite a bit since I started shaving about 2 months ago.  I gave the HeadBlade a try but just couldn't get the hang of it, but I found that HeadSlick is great stuff.  I was using the rest of my Fusion cartridges, but wanted a cheaper alternative.  I found the M5 Magnum at the PX for $5.99 for the razor and 2 cartridges and replacements are 4 for $5.99, which is much better than $15 for 4 Fusion's.  I shaved this morning with it and it was good. 

My routine:

Hot shower to soften up the hair
Use St. Ives apricot scrub on my head
Lather up the HeadSlick
Shave WTG the grain all over making sure I don't miss any spots
Dry off and slather on some HeadLube Matte.

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #595 on: December 24, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »
I am pretty new to head shaving but here is my routine.  I have shaved everyday except for one and have had no irritation.  So far I am only shaving WTG but after another week I will go ATG.  Hopefully this might help someone out.

• I start out with a warm shower or warm wash cloth on the head to open my pores up.
  • Then I lather up with Nivea For Men Sensitive Shave Gel.  This is GREAT stuff and I can really feel it protecting my scalp.
  • Shave with either a Shick Hydro 5 or Gillette Fusion Proglide(manual).  Both are great razors that provide a smooth close irritation free shave.  I feel that the Proglide may provide just a slightly closer shave then the Hydro 5.  But the Hydro 5 feels ever so slightly more forgiving.  Not sure which I like better but you can not go wrong with either.  I just recently purchased a Headblade ATX which I am going to give a try soon.
  • Wash off my entire head and face with a good anti bacterial soap.  Currently I use Cetaphil but when it is gone I am going to try the Cuticura soap that Saintc recommends
  • Cold water rinse followed by witch hazel all over my head and face
  • Finally I put on some Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm for moisture and to further guard against irritation

As a side note I also have Headslick which I have used twice but I was not impressed with it compared to the Nivea shave gel I use.  It just does not seem to protect my head as well and also seems to disappear quickly.  I do like the mentholated effect of it and I feel that it is a good shave cream but just not as good as Nivea imho.  Also twice a week I exfoliate my head with either Headshed or St Ives apricot scrub.  Both are real good but I give a slight nod to Headshed.  It feels less abrasive to me yet does a great job.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #596 on: December 30, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
Got away from shaving in the shower for a while due to feeling like I was wasting water. That said, the shave at the sink proved to be less close and good so I went black to shower shaving and notice the difference- I think the hot water right there really opens up pores and softens the scalp for a close shave. Headslick does sting though if it gets runny.

Offline 440satellite

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #597 on: January 01, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
Very simple routine here, shampoo, lather on the conditioner and leave it there while washing all the rest. Rinse, apply Headslick, shave with the Headblade with Gellette Sensor 2 against grain, rinse, pat dry, done.  In the winter appy some not glossy hand cream, summer suntan lotion.  That's it.

Not difficult and it works for me.  Might not work for you but worth a try as it's a cheap way to go. 

My scalp isn't sensitive but use fancy gell shaving creams on my face and I'm 40 entering my second puberty with breakouts!  Long story short is everyone is different, take everyone's input in and find your routine.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #598 on: January 01, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »
My routine is so simple now to my previous efforts!

-Hot water splash at the sink
-Apply headslick and shave with the headblade
-Shave from front to back then back to front, ears to crown, and a little tidy up!
-Shower and exfoliate to dome with antibacterial soap
-Cold water rinse
-Witch hazel
-Moisturiser/after shave of choice!

Works for me so far.
Lynchy

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #599 on: January 01, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »
My routine is so simple now to my previous efforts!

-Hot water splash at the sink
-Apply headslick and shave with the headblade
-Shave from front to back then back to front, ears to crown, and a little tidy up!
-Shower and exfoliate to dome with antibacterial soap
-Cold water rinse
-Witch hazel
-Moisturiser/after shave of choice!

Works for me !  Brother !
O0 - Witch hazel !

Like to keep it simple .   ;) 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL