Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362807 times)

Offline SlickInWI

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #525 on: June 07, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been buzzing my hair with a Whal electric clippers since my junior year of high school (I'm now 35 years old). After teetering on the edge for quite a while, I finally decided to be bald by choice before nature made that choice for me; it was going to happen one way or the other. After a few weeks of tweaking, this is the routine I've settled on so far. I'd say it is very basic based on other routines I've read on here. I used to shave my face every other day since it doesn't grow all that fast, but since I've been BBC I've been shaving my face whenever I shave my head, which is typically daily. I think it looks best on me if all of the hair stubble above my shoulders is the same length.

1. Shower in super warm water, using a lufa and body wash on my body, face, and head. (I've never been a huge fan of the really hot shower).
2. Crank the heat of the water up and run my head underneath for a minute or two.
3. Put a small amount of HeadSlick in my hands and rub until it lathers.
4. Spread lather on my head, and let it sit for a minute or so.
5. Using a headblade sport with an Atra blade, shave back to front.
6. Check for any missed spots and touch up.
7. Repeat 3-6, shaving front to back, skipping the sides.
8. Starting at the right sideburn, shave up the crown of the head, over the top, until the head crowns again.
9. Repeat step 8 for the entire right side, then repeat for the left side.
10. Check again for any missed spots, and touch up.
11. Rinse in warm water.
12. Turn the shower down to cold, stick just my head under and rinse for 30 seconds in the cold water.
13. After getting dressed, apply an Aloe Vera lotion to my head.

I love how it feels, and like how it looks. I still have a pretty prominent hair shadow which disappoints me a little bit (even though it isn't very visible on my profile pic). I don't know if that is due to equipment, technique, or just brown hair on caucasion skin. Overall though, I'm very happy with it and wonder what took me so long.

A few changes I'm planning on implementing soon.

1. Shaving oil. Do I apply it to my head before lathering?
2. Shaving brush. How does this work with the Headslick?
3. I want to find a different after shave lotion. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:16:59 PM by SlickInWI »
I saw a lion he was standing alone, with a tadpole in a jar.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #526 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »
Slick, I can only offer that I use Shave Secret oil - I put one drop on my Headblade (to diminish gunk collection) and use five drops on my scalp. Seems to work really well.

I don't use a brush or aftershave, so can't give any insight on those.

Sly is a good look for you. Hope you'll stick around.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #527 on: June 07, 2012, 02:30:13 PM »
Welcome, Slick. Looks like you have a good routine going. So, it sounds like you've recently gone slick/sly?
Anyway, some people have a prominent hairline shadow, even when smooth. Just the nature of the beast. Don't even worry about it. ;D  IMO, it still looks much better shaved than grown out.  Glad you're happy! 8)
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #528 on: June 07, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

Welcome to SBG. Know what you mean about the smooth feeling after a good shave. Always look forward to it.

Couple of months ago, I started using pre-shave oil. Just rub it in and then apply headslick. Your head will feel a little oily, but you'll appreciate it as your razor glides with fewer tugs of the skin. Result: less irritation.

Bit of an odd one here - several weeks go, I helped myself to some of the office bathroom's alcohol hand sanitiser. After rinsing with cold water, I rub in the alcohol hand sanitiser. It can really sting. But the head is so smooth and cleansed. Then it's time for some HeadBlade gloss for the shiniest head in town.

Offline balddoc

• Sly
  • Badass and bald to the bone.
« Reply #529 on: June 07, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Welcome, Slick. Your shadow will be far less visible once your head tans. It has taken mine two months and the area where my hair was is still a shade paler. Just give it time.
Mike

Offline Pratzie

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #530 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »
After about 4 weeks of every other day shaving i've come down with the following:

1:  Shower with water as warm as I can stand to get everything steamed  up.
2:  When ready to shave, let warm water beat on my head for 30 seconds, massaging the scalp every so often.
3:  Use Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel (love the oatmeal scent) all over my head.
4:  Use HeadBlade with standard 3 blade razors that came with it. Work from front to back against the grain with long passes each time.  Also work above the ears from front to back as opposed to the top down.
5:  Re-Apply Aveeno gel to the back of head and make a pass against the grain from the bottom up as well as curving around the ears from bottom to top.
6:  Go over any rough spots that I missed with the Head Blade.
7:  Rinse and then use Fusion razor on sideburns and above the hears going against the grain for the closest shave.  Check again for any missed spots around the back and sides and address them with the Fusion.
8:  Shave my face around my goatee.
9:  Use St Ive's Apricot Scrub (Just started it this past week after reading about it here) and rub in for a good thirty seconds all around the scalp and face.  Sometimes, depending on how much i've been sweating i'll use the scrub before Step 3.
10:  Pat head dry
11:  Use 2 ice cubes all around my dome.  Feels great, I think everyone should try it a handful of times before deciding if its for them.
12:  Check for any nick's or ingrown hairs showing up.  Apply Tend Skin if needed.
13:  Splash Witch Hazle all about.
14:  Go and get dressed or do other odds and ends for a few minutes before applying HeadBlade Head Lube matte finish.

Judging by some of the posts i've read im giving strong consideration to trying aloe vera.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #531 on: June 07, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Welcome!

1. Yes shave oil can be used prior to lathering, or before the hot towel/shower
2. Shaving brush is great, adds heaps to the experience IMO, put a dab of head slick on your head, get the brush wet (not dripping) swirl all over head. Head slick should lather up nicely from what ive read!
3. Antsy thing, could try head lube or Nivea, or whatever takes your fancy
Lynchy

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #532 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:55 AM »

Shaving oii - I use on my face. I apply it before I lather. Also, after shaving and drying, I use a couple of drops as aftershave.  I had some irritation issues on the right side of my chin and this seems to have solved it.

Shaving brush - I tried this with the Headslick, but didn't like the result. I found the blade (HeadBlade) did not glide as smoothly across the scalp. Almost seemed there was too much air in it.

After shave - I use HeadLube Matte.  I find it works great for me.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #533 on: June 08, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
Awesome shaving routines gents!

Cheers,
Ro

Offline SlickInWI

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #534 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, everyone! Based on various recommendations, I went out and made a few purchases last night and altered my routine a smidge this morning.

The first thing I seeked out after reading quite a few suggestions (including one by FrontierGuy a few posts up) was the Shave Secret oil. Love, love, love it. I typically shave my face without any shaving cream -- just warm water and a blade. I used a few drops of this stuff, and it was great. Then I put some on my head before lathering up - just wonderful. The blade seemed to glide a little better, and maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of this, but it seems like I got a closer shave than I did without.

The next thing I purchased and incorporated was a shave brush. I'm up in the air over this one. Skram mentioned not liking it with the Head Slick. I personally don't think it made it any worse, but I also don't think it added much to the experience. I will admit that I just went with a cheap $8.99 boar's hair brush/bowl/shave soap combo from Walmart. So maybe a higher quality brush would make a difference. I'll continue to use it for the next week or two, but this one was just "meh" for me.

Lastly I got some Nivia aftershave. I usually use Afta (By Mennen) on my face, but I thought i'd try something different for my head. Not great, not terrible. I'll use up what I got, but I might be on the lookout for something different once I need to buy something else.
I saw a lion he was standing alone, with a tadpole in a jar.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #535 on: June 08, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
I'm quite liking the HeadLube for the finishing touch - moisturizer and SPF 30 sunscreen in a single formula. Available in Matte or Shiny formulations.

Today is three weeks into my 30-day challenge. I',n truly enjoying the look and the experience, but it has been a (mild) drain on the wallet acquiring new toys, lotions and accouterments.  Looking at the array ... I think I'm set for the next year (or longer). It's all good!
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #536 on: June 09, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
1. Wash my head and face with Noxema Plus Moisturizing Cold Creme
2. Lather up my head with Barbasol Sensitive Shaving Creme
3. Shave with Wilkinson Disposable blade triple razor with the grain.
4. Rinse my head with wet washcloth and reapply shaving creme.
5. Shave over the missed spots going against the grain and rinse my head again with wet washcloth.
6. Apply witch hazel.
7. Apply St. Ive's Apricot Scrub to my head and face and get in the shower.
8. Go through regular shower routine while massaging in the St. Ive's and then rinse.
9. Towel dry my head and apply Duke's Bald & Bold Scalp Serum and a light coating of Vaseline.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #537 on: June 09, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »

Shaving brush - I tried this with the Headslick, but didn't like the result. I found the blade (HeadBlade) did not glide as smoothly across the scalp. Almost seemed there was too much air in it.

Airy or thin lather = not enough product root much whipping!

Maybe give it a go with a bit more product and a touch less water  O0
Lynchy

Offline Pratzie

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #538 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:44 AM »
1. Wash my head and face with Noxema Plus Moisturizing Cold Creme
2. Lather up my head with Barbasol Sensitive Shaving Creme
3. Shave with Wilkinson Disposable blade triple razor with the grain.
4. Rinse my head with wet washcloth and reapply shaving creme.
5. Shave over the missed spots going against the grain and rinse my head again with wet washcloth.
6. Apply witch hazel.
7. Apply St. Ive's Apricot Scrub to my head and face and get in the shower.
8. Go through regular shower routine while massaging in the St. Ive's and then rinse.
9. Towel dry my head and apply Duke's Bald & Bold Scalp Serum and a light coating of Vaseline.

Another person who uses the witch hazel and then St Ives.  Is there anyone else who adds another step (other then moisturizing) after they use the witch hazel?  I've been using it at the very end of my routine, after i use the ice cubes but before I add the moisturizer.  Not sure if im using the iwtch hazle correctly

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #539 on: June 10, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »
All this talk about using St Ives scrub on your face is a little scary. Everything I have been told by many dermatologists (one of the best dermatologists in the world is a good friend of mine) is that using a strong facial scrub more than once a week is very bad for your face. Also...some scrubs have ground up nut shells and seeds as well as other very sharp stuff in them. The skin on your face isn't the same as the skin on your elbows. You need to rub this stuff on your face lightly or it could make small cuts in your skin and eventually lead to long term problems.

Also, after you use any facial scrub, you need to wash your hands really well and apply some sort of moisturizer and SPF to your freshly scraped and raw facial skin.

Us sly guys have LOTS more "face" than most people. Let's all try to make it look good for a long LONG time!
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"