Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362611 times)

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #510 on: May 03, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
all in all it takes me about 25 minutes (including the shower) to get that all done. 

DAMN!!!!!!!!  :o :o :o I think i need a cigarette!!!!

(ps: I don't even smoke!)
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #511 on: May 03, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »
all in all it takes me about 25 minutes (including the shower) to get that all done. 

DAMN!!!!!!!!  :o :o :o I think i need a cigarette!!!!

(ps: I don't even smoke!)

Lol I feel like that sometimes too  ;D
Lynchy

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #512 on: May 03, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
Dayum... Where's the popcorn? LOL! Whatever it takes to get the perfect Slydome 8)

Cheers,
Ro

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #513 on: May 03, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
Awesome routine Lynchy.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #514 on: May 03, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Dayum... Where's the popcorn? LOL! Whatever it takes to get the perfect Slydome 8)

It is quite a show  (R^!

Awesome routine Lynchy.

Thanks. All my ideas came from here!  :@`
Lynchy

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2012, 04:50:34 AM »
Hey all! I have a spare minute here at work so thought I would put down my current routine.
It has changed heaps since day one, from reading on here and other random internet sources. I have read all the posts in this thread lol so thought I should contribute! ;)

Put shave oil on dome

Boil kettle

Put shaving mug in bathroom sink, fill sink with boiling water, fill mug with hot (not boiling water) let omega shave brush soak whilst I shower.

Shower - exfoliate head first with generic exfoliating pad and antibacterial soap (a tip I picked up from here somewhere). Rinse that off, cover head with conditioner (whatever the wife has in the shower) complete the rest of the shower as normal. Last thing as I get out is wash the conditioner off.

Turn the cold completely off and get a small towel under the hot water, get it nice and hot then slap in on my head!

Out of the shower, dry arms and face. Head over to the sink to start making the lather.

Remove the towel and put some KOS shaving oil on the dome. Replace the towel.

Empty the mug of the water and shake the brush out a little. I am currently using Palmolive men lather shave cream. Put a dab of that in and make the lather.

Remove the towel and brush the later onto the dome, nice circular motions for about a minute or so. (The lather is usually all warm because of the cup, it feels so good!)

Currently using a Mach III Turbo, so bust that out and shave against the grain (because I shave daily with the grain seems pointless), I have been starting at the back of my neck as this is the area most prone to shaving rash.
( I thought leaving the shaving cream on for the longest period on the most sensitive areas would be the best. As it would soften the hair and make it easier to cut, however for me it seems the opposite is true???? I think it has to do with the benefits of the hot shower and steam being well and truly gone if I wait to do the neck last....anyway whatever works I suppose)
Against the grain all over, wipe off shaving cream with hot towel.
Re-lather and go against, with, across, diagonally, all over the silly areas that don't follow the conventional grain of the hair!

Wet spare hand and check for any missed spots, if there is any shave them.

Back into the shower for another exfoliating (another tip i seem on here) with the antibacterial soap. The put the shower on just cold and let that run over my head for a few minutes. :o

Back to the sink for witch hazel (TN Dickions) , slather that all over. Sometimes use a tiny but of rubbing alcohol if there is any nicks or cuts (My god it stings, but it does the trick)

Ice rub all over the head. Let the head dry naturally. Then a second witch hazeling!

Then before I leave for work I will moisturise with either Nivea with the SPF 15, or my Clineaque for men after shave balm, or lately a tiny bit of Bio-Oil for that extra shine. All depends what I'm in the mood for! :p

Clean up everything, dry brush, and razor.... Also lately I have been sterilizing the razor, which has seemed to help dramatically with razor burn (again another tip from here!)

Typically I shave in the morning, so befor bed I will Witch Hazle again to make sure the dome is nice and clean!

So there you go, it's a fairly lengthy routine, all in all it takes me about 25 minutes (including the shower) to get that all done.

I know all the steps probably aren't necessary, but for now I am enjoying the ritual of it all. :@`

Hoping to move to a DE soon, so the routine will change again!

Anyway I am open to comments, suggestions, improvements and critiques?

Thanks

Dedication that mate! Great routine, i have picked up a few tips from you, cheers :)

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #516 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:42 AM »
Does anyone ever use a alum block after shaving? Recommended?

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #517 on: May 04, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »
Dedication that mate! Great routine, i have picked up a few tips from you, cheers :)

No problems  O0
Lynchy

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »
Does anyone ever use a alum block after shaving? Recommended?

I have my alum rock on standby in my shower. I rub it on my freshly shaven head to give it that really tight feeling and super glossy look.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Bald@27

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #519 on: May 16, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
Lynchy u kinda look like the singer from staind

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #520 on: May 16, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
Lynchy u kinda look like the singer from staind

Thank you .... I think that's a compliment ....right?

I love Staind.....good band IMO
Lynchy

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #521 on: May 16, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »
Dude, I cannot believe all that only takes you 25 minutes! It takes me 15 just to shave!

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #522 on: May 16, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
Dude, I cannot believe all that only takes you 25 minutes! It takes me 15 just to shave!

It sounds longer than it is......think about all the steps you use to have a shower, think it out like your explaining to someone who has never had a shower before, it gets quite long. Thats what my post is, long and descriptive for the sake of it lol...

I have made a few changes highlighted in red!

Put shave oil on dome (ran out and haven't bought more yet)

Boil kettle (now only do this on weekends or days off, got lazy I guess)

Put shaving mug in bathroom sink, fill sink with boiling water, fill mug ( just hot water from the tap now) let omega shave brush soak whilst I shower.

Shower - exfoliate head first with generic exfoliating pad and antibacterial soap (a tip I picked up from here somewhere). Rinse that off, cover head with conditioner (whatever the wife has in the shower) complete the rest of the shower as normal. Last thing as I get out is wash the conditioner off.

Turn the cold completely off and get a small towel under the hot water, get it nice and hot then slap in on my head!

Out of the shower, dry arms and face. Head over to the sink to start making the lather.

Remove the towel and put some KOS shaving oil on the dome (as above, ran out). Replace the towel.

Empty the mug of the water and shake the brush out a little. I am currently using Palmolive men lather shave cream (now using either TOBS Sandalwood or Cella). Put a dab of that in and make the lather.

Remove the towel and brush the later onto the dome, nice circular motions for about a minute or so. (The lather is usually all warm because of the cup, it feels so good!)

Currently using a Mach III Turbo, so bust that out and shave against the grain (because I shave daily with the grain seems pointless), I have been starting at the back of my neck as this is the area most prone to shaving rash.

Against the grain all over, wipe off shaving cream with hot towel.
Re-lather and go against, with, across, diagonally, all over the silly areas that don't follow the conventional grain of the hair!

Wet spare hand and check for any missed spots, if there is any shave them.

Back into the shower for another exfoliating (another tip i seem on here) with the antibacterial soap. The put the shower on just cold and let that run over my head for a few minutes (now more like seconds as its minus 4 degrees Celsius ). :o

Back to the sink for witch hazel (TN Dickions) , slather that all over. Sometimes use a tiny but of rubbing alcohol if there is any nicks or cuts (again ran out and too lazy to buy more)

Ice rub all over the head. Let the head dry naturally. Then a second witch hazeling! (I got a sample of Geo F Trumper skin food, now using this at the end of the shave)

Then before I leave for work I will moisturise with either Nivea with the SPF 15, or my Clineaque for men after shave balm, or lately a tiny bit of Bio-Oil for that extra shine. All depends what I'm in the mood for! :p ( the skin food has replaced all this for the moment!)

Clean up everything, dry brush, and razor.... Also lately I have been sterilizing the razor, which has seemed to help dramatically with razor burn (ran out of rubbing alcohol, got lazy and didn't buy more)

Typically I shave in the morning, so befor bed I will Witch Hazle again to make sure the dome is nice and clean! (Again I'm so very lazy lol)

So yeah this is the latest version, I'm sure it will change again though!
Lynchy

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #523 on: May 16, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »
a lil  something seems long but is not

1. take a shower like you normally would to prep the area you are going to shave like your dome with warm/hot water.

2 wash dome with shampoo or shampoo + conditioner not soap, [leaves my dome feeling soft but its nice and clean] if you want to exfoliate then mix a dab of facial scrub or body scrub in with your shampoo to make your shampoo seem like it has a scrub then rub all over dome. the scrubbing beads or the exfoliating grains feel nice on the dome as it does on the face.

3. finish up your wash routine while that shampoo or your shampoo scrub sets then rinse off if your one to shave in the shower and not the sink then shave there skip the step below you.

4. towel dry the body from head to toe head to sink fill it with warm water lather up head and face, if lather is dry wet finger tips to moisten and rub the area again. for what you like thin or thick or runny lather.

5. wet your razor shave like you normally would WTG or ATG make sure you have a mirror handy to see what you are doing, when shaving the back of the head. also make two passes when shaving but if you can do it in one pass then make only one pass some people do a third pass for baby butt smooth but not me only two for me .

6. with a warm/hot rag wipe off excess cream/gel wet rag again continue wiping off that way or splash water on your face. then place hot a rag on face to steam it along with the dome or warm a rag up in microwave to steam the area open up the poors your body will love it right after a good shave.

7. splash face with warm/cold water on your face and dome for the cool down and to shut down everything with the cold rinse you'll love it then towel dry.

8. take a cotton pad moisten with facial tonic/astringent [some people on here use which hazel what ever works for you] rub on face dome as a touch up to remove any excess oil and debris on face and dome. you will pay for it if you feel a stinging sensation [especial if your nicked yourself, if so rub so antibiotic ointment on the area first] but it feels good this will help any irritation you or to help prevent it. if you choose no then skip this step ok do what ever suit you. not: if the pads leaves white residue on face you need to re shave the area for those whom use the cotton pad test.

9. rub after shave gel on face and dome to provide a nice cooling sensation + after shaving care then rub some body and face lotion on the face and dome or aloe vera gel/lotion or one with alone in it or whatever you use to moisturize onto your dope to sooth and relax you. post shave lotion is also something good to use as well

10. clean up the sink/shaving area

Offline AgeTwentyTwoBaldy

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #524 on: May 17, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
Shower

fill up a bowl and my sink with water as hot as i can stand without getting burned

let my badger hair brush soak in the sink as it fills up

shake out MOST of the water, but not all, from the brush. also, empty the bowl of hot water into the sink, leaving a few drops in it.

scrape my finger along the top of the shaving cream tub and put that small amount in the empty shaving bowl.. it's Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood. best shaving cream ever. it has an old barbershop scent to it and it lathers incredibly well for both the head and face.

beat the cream in the bowl to make a lather. takes about 1 minutes 30 seconds.

swirl the brush around my face to lather it. shave with the grain. rinse with hot water, lather my face again, shave against the grain, rinse with cold water, apply alum block, rinse it off with cold water. some alum blocks are OK to let on you, but I prefer to rinse it.

re-wet head with hot water. gather more lather on the brush from the bowl. lather up my heads the same way i did my face. shave against the grain all the way. rinse with cold water. apply alum block. rinse with cold water. clean everything up, good to go.

O0