Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 365002 times)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #435 on: May 06, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Shave in haste, bleed in leisure . . . to paraphase an old addage.  ;D

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #436 on: May 12, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »

The cold water rinse on the head after a good shave does help close the pores and helps to eliminate a bump problem.

;)

Offline auto216834

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
1 or 2 times/week. Wahl super taper electric shaver (no attachments) on minimum setting to cut all 'remaining' hair as short as possible (<1mm). I just use a plastic cover that I drape over the sink to catch any hair. Perhaps I could send my hair to Borat in Kazakhstan for some money.

I've never cut myself using this shaver. It's been good to me over the years, but I do oil it regularly and clean it after each use.

Shower + shaving gel + regular razor... as many have commented, it's just easier for clean up. Finish up shower.

Some moisturiser and I'm done. I've been told on several occasions I have a shiney head.. I don't know yet if this is a compliment  :D

Offline foreversmooth

• Close shave
  • Sly Jr.
  • Bald and browless
« Reply #438 on: May 18, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
I shave about 2 or 3 times per week, after taking a shower. I use Gillette shaving gel and a Mach 3 razor. I shave in all directions to get a close shave. If I want a really smooth scalp, I shave my head twice. This will prevent stubble for a longer period.
Foreversmooth

Offline Titus13

• Bald guy in New York
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #439 on: May 18, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »
I first use cvs apricot srub on my head in the shower to prep my
head then I apply kos alpha shaving oil to my head then alphagel
shave gel. my weapon of choice is the fusion.I do one pass with
the grain and one against.I finish with a cold rinse and apply some
witch hazel.then baby oil with vitamin e and aloe vera to finish off
but I have to try headslick products in the future
GI

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #440 on: May 19, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »

Auto,

The shine on your head looks great. I would take it as a compliment.

;)

Offline PeanutHead214

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #441 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:06 PM »
Hey guys, Im new to the site. About a year old to the life of a sly guy, and I hate it, but there is no going back. What I mean when I say I hate it is that it hurts to shave. So I will shave and let the hair grow back, but than my head breaks out really bad. But if I shave daily or every other day it is extremely painful. What should I do? Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Offline WhiskeyHotel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #442 on: May 23, 2011, 06:59:49 AM »
Hey guys, Im new to the site. About a year old to the life of a sly guy, and I hate it, but there is no going back. What I mean when I say I hate it is that it hurts to shave. So I will shave and let the hair grow back, but than my head breaks out really bad. But if I shave daily or every other day it is extremely painful. What should I do? Please help.

Thanks in advance!

hey man. welcome. can you tell us a little about your current routine? then we can point out different things to try which may help with the pain.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #443 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »
At least every other day but then I have the time to do it. I shower first-how do people take baths? And if you're 6'5'" as I am, using a bath tub presents me with the problem of which  to wash first; Top to waist or waist to toes and I don't care what they say, emerging from a tub bath I never feel quite clean. I use NIvea face scrub which I use all over my head, rinse that, use one of several different products to shave and then take aim for my head. Here, too, I've a selection of things to speed the slicing blade. I start with either Nivea 3 or Bald Buyz but if its a "special occasion" or I want to get the most mileage from my peel, I'll go back and use baby oil for an even closer shave. I use a Mach3 that vibrates and I feel that gives me a better shine. It may not but when I don't use it I'm convinced there's just a slight bit of difference. I rinse thoroughly and, if I've used an oil, take some cream or solution that has a mild caustic (usually alcohol) to make sure the pores are cleaned of the oil. But, even though the written version may seem complicated, I refer to it as my wash and wear head which reasonably accurate.

Offline PeanutHead214

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #444 on: May 23, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
well I tried everything to be honest. I tried magic shave, but that made my head burn and it stinks.

I tried a wet/dry razor but it doesnt get the smooth look I want.

I tried shaving in the shower, in the sink,  using the HB, Pro Glide, M3, and everything feels like it is tugging at my hair.
I have sensitive skin so I use sensitive shave gel, right now I am using SchickHydro.

So i guess if I had a routine it would be this.
let hot water run, and put towel under hot water
put towel on head for about 15 seconds, and repeat
put shaving creme on and let it sit for a few minutes
run razor under hot water and begin to shave

Right from the first stroke I regret even shaving my head, because I dont get a nice smooth stroke. I get a tugging, bleeding, painful reaction.

Please help, because I can not go through this for the rest of my life lol.

Offline WhiskeyHotel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #445 on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »
i think you tried a couple things.

1) shower shave and only with the grain
2) let the hot water run on your head for a bit...get a good steam going
3) using conditioner on your head to soften up the hairs
4) i recommend king of shaves alpha gel...they make a sensitive and antibacterial kind that works great
5) go to work with the headblade or your razor of choice. given your skin, definitely recommend a quality razor.
6) rinse and wash your dome with antibacterial soap. i use a cetaphil antibacterial bar soap on my head.
7) COLD water rinse...even use an ice cub to rub over your head
8) put aftershave or witch hazel on the ol dome
9) moisturize and sunscreen

it's seems like a long process, but it will help. between soaking your head more in hot water/conditioner and the cold water/ice rub...it should help a bit. give it a shot.

Offline BrianBradford

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #446 on: May 26, 2011, 07:43:04 AM »
My shave routine is this...

Before bed, wet hands with hot water, rub hands on head.
Apply Barbasol shave cream on head, neck, between eyebrows, and face.
Shave using Bic Comfort 3 disposable razor starting with face.
Soak a wash rag with cold water and wipe head and face.
Go to bed.

I'd shave Sunday night, Tuesday night, and Thursday night.

I never used any pre-shave cleanser, or exfoliate, or aftershave lotion or moisturizer. I used to get the occasional razor burn on the very bottom of my neck line though. Nothing I couldn't handle.

Offline Stevo

• Agile, Mobile, Audiophile
  • Sly
    • Country Road of Life
« Reply #447 on: June 25, 2011, 01:52:46 PM »
I need to update my routine AGAIN!  I've lost track of how many versions of my routine I have on here, so I'll call this one Version 6.9:

Shower with a loofa, scrubbing hard

Dry off everything but my head

3 pumps of HeadSlick, straight to the head and face (I never quite got the coverage I needed up top with the shaving brush)

Shave the face, using a regular Sensor Excel handle and blade, including behind and around the ears

Shave the field of my head with a HeadBlade and Sensor Excel blade, front to back, rinsing off the blade after each pass

(optional) Shave the back of my head from front to back to get completely smooth

Rinse everything off

A small pump of Walgreen's Men's Lotion, to help keep the noggin smooth and healthy.

Offline kayaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
Only been at this a week, but here is what I've been doing:

Wash head at bathroom sink.

Apply foam/cream/gel to head and cover it with a wet, microwaved, steaming towel.

Walk around the house, scaring the dogs and my gf.  :px

Wipe off head and reapply foam/cream/gel to  my head.

Shave WTG then ATG using my Mach 3 that I've grown used to using on my face. I also bought a HeadBlade Sport, but haven't used it yet.

Ice cold water rinse.

Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe splashed on.

Finally, some lotion of some sort depending on what I'm going to be doing. The HeadBlade SPF30, for instance, if I'll be outside.

Offline ORTO

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Tumblr
« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
I like the idea of a shower shave for the reasons you've mentioned, but I never seem to get a good enough shave without taking forever. I rigged two mirrors in the shower and that made it a lot easier, but even then, it's hard to keep them lined up (one hangs on the curtain, the other sticks to the wall). Definitely less cleanup, your hair stays softer because of the heat and steam, and the few times I've had a proper shave in the shower, once I finished, I just cut the water to cold near the end of the shower (James Bond shower, aka: Scottish shower?).

I've been determined to get comfortable shaving without any use of a mirror, but I seem to get disoriented every time, or I keep trying to look for reflections in things to get a guide. When I try shaving in the shower without mirrors rigged, I get about halfway and realize it's already taken 30 minutes. Then I just get out and finish at the sink.

Lately, my routine is more like this.

1. Either take a nice hot shower for ten minutes or so. For the last five, I'll just soak my head and massage my scalp. Or, if I've already showered once or twice that day, my wife will usually heat up some wet rags and she'll wrap up my head for me. I'll let them sit while I have a cigarette, and by the time I'm done, I'll start.

2. I tried filling up a bowl with hot water and using that to rinse my razor, but the water never seems to stay hot enough. Since we are usually fairly cautious with our water, I'll look past the excess for this, letting it run at a low setting during my shave. Keeps it nice and hot, which seems to make a big difference.

3. Right now I'm using basic Williams shave soap from the drugstore, but I put a little Gillette gel on the puck before I mix it. Then I apply it with a badger brush. Shaves are done with a trusty Mach III, and I usually replace my cartridge after the fifth shave. I shave at least once a day, and my blades appreciate this. I do the sides and top of my head, against the grain. Then I do the back, the same way. Go over it for rough patches, re-lather, and hit it again. Check again for rough patches, and if there are any, I'll wet my head really well and put a thin coat of lather on. I make the last passes while feeling around for any roughness.

4. Rinse clean with cold water, wrap in a cold towel for a minute, then pat dry and throw on a little post-shave lotion. Right now I'm using some Nivea Sensitive aftershave I found at the drugstore in the little town we're in. If I go out, I use my wife's Honey Bee lotion with SPF-30, and if I'm about to go to bed, I might use a little Eucerin just keep my skin happy.

Sonny