Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362710 times)

Offline suckerv

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #405 on: June 09, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
I use the Fusion Pro Glide.  It gives me the smoothest, closest shave I have ever experienced.  

I do my shaving over the sink.  I like to see what I'm doing.  I use to do it in the shower, which I sometimes still do, but in front of a mirror is what I prefer.

I wet my head with hot water and lather up with a brush and shave soap.  I use to just lather up with Pert Plus shampoo + conditioner, which is still a pretty good product, but the shave soap that I get from Wal-mart is actually a really great product!

After lathering up, I go from front to back, starting from the middle and then the sides.  I go straight back until I reach the middle and proceed laterally across the front half of my head.  

I then lather up the front half again and shave against the grain on the sides.

After rinsing off, I lather up the back half and repeat the process.

Then, I get my face, jump in the shower, and rinse off!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:12:49 PM by suckerv »

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #406 on: June 17, 2010, 12:58:42 AM »
Great shave routines indeed. Its usually easier in the shower less time consuming. If i want a good slow shave ill hit the sink. One thing i have been doing, don't know if it's already been said, but going up on the sides of the dome against the grain is always first. I guess the blade is at its sharpest in the beginning and there is the most hair on the sides for those with mpb. You get the real clean closeness with minimal shadow. Works well. the most ill go with out shaving is about three days give or take. Anyway cool routines looking  to learning something new from you guys that'll make it easier.

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #407 on: June 30, 2010, 11:10:46 AM »
My shave routine: While in the shower I scrub my head and face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub. Then lather up with some Headslick and shave with the Headblade. Rinse with cold water. As cold as I can stand. Finish it off with Bald Guyz Moisture Gel. I do this every other day.

Offline JBGood

• Say NO to the horseshoe and combover!
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #408 on: July 07, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »
Usually shave the do every day, won't let it go over 2 though. I shave over the sink.
Use hot water to wet down to soften stubs. Use Barbasol Aloe S.Cream.
And would advise to use a multiple blade shaver, I use no less than 3 blade, this will allow for a smooth nic free experience.
I personally don't advise an "against the grain" up stroke, that may or may not cause ingrown hairs.

I start on my sides first, with my shaving strokes going side ways ,from front to back.

I then go over the top, (There is a little stubs left up there lol).
Then I use a mirror to see the back of my head and use down strokes to finish.
(I don't have to use a mirror if I don't have one, by the way).

I finish with hot water rinse and toweling.  (I feel that hot water keeps the pores open to allow proper rinsing)

I don't use any sort of finish cream, I like the dry clean feeling.
This is what works for me, hope it helps someone.

JB

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #409 on: July 28, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
This post is a two parter:  First, what I've been doing for the past 2 weeks:

Being new to this, with a .... um.. complicated head, I can't shower-shave, so it's sink for me.
I take a shower first usually, and steam up the noggin.  Sometimes I'll use St. Ives scrub, but not always, for reasons I'll reveal in a second.
Then I pat dry, and head for the sink.  I soak a washcloth in hot water, and lay that on my head.. then repeat.. Then I break out my headblade and head slick, (I'm experimenting with a brush too) and normally start shaving w/ the grain on top and sides, then against, but I might just skip to against the grain.
Lastly, the back.. that's tricky, I can't quite do it myself yet, I have scarring back there. The wife helps.
Apply cold washcloth, pat, then pat dry.
Finish off with "Tend Skin", a pretty good product, I think.
I might put on some Jergens Natural Glow too, after the Tendskin dries.

Okay, part two:  here's the dilemma.  One, my head is quite curvy and shaped, sorta.. I like it, it's cool, but not as easy as a shave as some other's might be if more perfectly round. 
But the big, big problem is the hair tranplants I once had.  It's left little plugs in the front which aren't too difficult to deal with, but the bigass scars in the back are a nightmare.
As it is, I seem to get a lot of razor burn and bumps because of them, which only makes them more hideous . In the back, I would prefer to shave straight up against the grain to remove as much shadow as possible, but I'm afraid of tearing my scalp to shreds. I mean, it feels pretty smooth back there, all in all, by hand, but I think a razor is a little more discerning where's that's concerned. One scar even reaches around to my right side, all the way to above my ear  -the butchers! As it is, I ask the wife to shave back there gently, because I don't fully trust myself going with the grain at this point.

Any ideas? (At least the top is not such a problem)  Is a 3 blade razor better for an uneven head than a 5 blade razor?
Also, some people have told me that after shaving for a while, the shadow lessens, as the skin gets accustomed to the shaving and you can get closer or something..  true?  (Boy that'd be nice).
Also, I hear that scars will fade with exposure to sunlight, which they're getting for the first time ever. I'm also using Mederma on them.
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2010, 03:31:18 PM »
I started out at every two days but now find I am not satisfied with the second day's Velcro feel.

I shave at the sink. Hot water followed by PRORASO pre-shave cream. Fusion shave gel and a HeadBlade. Rinse with hot water. Ice cube to finish and, right now, Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer for a little color blending.

Offline thebaboun

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #411 on: September 08, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
Here I go!

I shave usually every three days, but will school starting, it will be everyday I guess, or when special occasion comes.

I shave in the shower, hot water on the head of course.
Then I use Cream (without alcohol)
I shave against the grain + wtg and I verify with my fingers, if it is well done.
After I wash my head with Irish Spring Soap
finally I put some daily moisturizer.....

Just to let you guys know I buy my razors at the $1 store (5 three blades razors for $1) They seem to do the job!

That's for me!

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #412 on: September 08, 2010, 07:38:59 AM »
I usually shave my head in the shower.
This is what I use.

-My headblade (of course) with a Women's Sensor Blade put on backwards.

-A very small amount (smaller that the size of a dime) of baby oil before my shower. I rub my head with the baby oil.

-Before I shave my head, I use a shampoo and conditioner. I use what shampoo or conditioner my wife has, which is usually tresemme, pantene, or a store brand equivalent. Then I wash, letting the shampoo and conditioner in  my scalp for a few minutes. I use my wife's skintimate, smooth silk, or a store brand equivalent. There is also a shaving cream at Walmart that is like $2 a can called Gillette Satin Care, that we use sometimes, but we don't make it to walmart that often because the closest one is 25 miles away. My skin is sensitive and men's shaving cream/gels can make me break out,  irritate my skin, and possibly bleed a little from the irritation.

-After my shower, I usually shave my face at the sink.

-Then I put on a facial scrub/mask that clenses and condition that my wife uses. That really helps with irritation. I leave it on for about five minutes and wash it off. What I use for irritation cost only $1 at the Dollar Tree. It is in a purple squeeze container. It works wonder for me for irritation and it's only $1.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline werewolfen

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #413 on: October 01, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »
Every other day I use a Schick EXTREME III, with medicated equate walmart brand skin creme thats basically generic Noxema. I put about an inch of medicated skin creme in the bottom of a coffee mug, then heat it in the microwave maybe 8 seconds to get it warm/hot, then slather it all on my face and head.

I then wait 5 minutes to let it loosen up the stubble, then I have a half gallon size bowl of hot-hot water for dunking my razor in and shaking it, then I start shaving. When I'm done shaving and I do shave against the grain, I rub onto my head and face the  hot water from inside my razor half gallon water bowl which by that time has a lot of the medicated camphor creme mixed in with it from shaking my razor, then I take a rag and blot off any water or creme still left on my head and face.

Then I use a small amount of vaseline to prevent irritation on my head and face. I've been using this method for a few years now, since I only use one razor per shave and trash it, I avoid all those over priced gels and cremes.

BaldBradley

« Reply #414 on: October 06, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »
Jump in the shower
Wash hair with shampoo
Put shaving cream on and let it sit there for a little bit
Shave with the grain
Wash off cut hair
Shave against the grain
Wash hair again

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #415 on: October 07, 2010, 01:55:42 PM »
You know, I think I've changed my shave routine a dozen times since my original post.
But the shower is still the best.
I like to put whatever I'm using to wash on my head and let it soak while I wash everywhere else, then rinse.
Apply my HeadSlick with my left hand and shave the noggin with the HeadBlade in the right, keeping the left hand up and reapplying/ moving around the Headslick.
I still do the cold water rinse of my pate before getting out though it's getting tougher the colder the weather gets!  ;D
I finish up with ClearHead then Bald Guyz Moisture Lotion.  4-5 minutes max!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

BaldBradley

« Reply #416 on: October 07, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
You know, I think I've changed my shave routine a dozen times since my original post.
But the shower is still the best.

I tried shaving in the bathtub yesterday thinking "oh I can  soak my entire body in warm water" (I go full sly sometimes)... It was more of a hassle than its worth, your entire body gets covered with hair, and I ended up using more water than I would have taking a shower.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #417 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »
I haven't been using my headblade recently, but use one of my wife's razors and her shaving gel. Usually I put baby oil on my head then get into the shower. It also helps to shampoo and use conditioner on my head before shaving. I usually shave my head in the shower. After my shower, I'll shave my face and put a tea tree oil cleanser on my face and that soothes any irritation, if there is any. The Tea Tree oil leaves my head and face soft.
Men's shaving products usually make me bleed and break out, but there is an exception with Nivea for men. The store where I was getting it at no longer has it in stock. It was a retail surplus store (it's like a mom and pop owned Ollie's outlet) that sold it for only $1. Usually at those type of stores will occasionally carry it. Once it is sold out, it is uncertain whether they will get it back in.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline joe mcclaine

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #418 on: October 11, 2010, 01:12:20 AM »
Wash head with soap
Slap on Noxzema foam
Scrape off with razor
Rinse with cold water
Vinny (not Joe McClaine - that was just the real name of 1960's Gerry Anderson puppet Joe 90)

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #419 on: October 11, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
Wash head with soap
Slap on Noxzema foam
Scrape off with razor
Rinse with cold water

Purist!   :*))

J/K    O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith