Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362590 times)

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:29 AM »
Hey MM!

Good routine, bro.  Yeah, I use Headslick matte and it works great.

Post an "hello" in the "Introductions"  section cause lots of guys will look there who will overlook a new post in this section.

Glad you found us and that you enjoy having a bald dome.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2009, 10:02:01 AM »
Welcome, be sure to post in the introductions area also. Sounds like a good routine.

Offline TreeFrog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #362 on: May 27, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »
Hi,

Ok I have been shaving for a couple months now and I am finally up to once a day. (I had rather bad razorburn before but the scalp seems to be getting used to it) My routine is as follows:

I shave in the evenings as I enjoy the ritual, want to take my time and quite frankly get a crappy shave when I try and rush it. I shave in the shower and have the water on as hot as I can bare.

I start with a couple of minutes under the hot water followed by a good scrub with an exfoliating glove, it's like a really coarse glove, I then use some of the wifeys antibacterial exfoliating facescrub and sometimes some of her conditioner for good measure. (It's some special kind for dyed hair so she probably doesn't like that I use it)

I apply baby oil on noggin followed by shaving cream, I use Palmolive cream that comes in a tube like toothpaste and use a badger Hair brush to really work it in. (a good 2 minutes of brushing)
I shave once with the grain using a Wilkinsson Sword Extreme (Similar to M3 but cheaper blades) and then re-apply oil and cream and then go once against the grain. The thing that has made my shave much easier is learning the grain of my hair, where I used to have to take a gazillion passes I now can manage with one or two because I go in the right direction.
Afterwards I apply some aftershave lotion for sensitive skin, usually Clinique for men, I find that this tightens the scalp and brings out stubble in certain areas so I have to go over certain spots again to touch up.

I proceed to enjoy my perfectly smooth head for a while and then go to bed. In the morning I'll do a quick touchup with only some babyoil in the shower and I'm good to go.
I also keep an electric razor at work for that afternoon touchup, my stubble grows in unevenly and although you can't see any difference it feels wierd so I like to "even" it out with the electric.

As I mentioned I find the biggest key to a great shave is knowing your head and the grain of your hair, I have shaved with a cheap disposable and done a great job (however I would not subject my scalp to it two days in a row)

Offline Meatman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #363 on: May 27, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »
hey TreeFrog....I too enjoy shaving in the evening.  I do it every night as part of my pre-bed ritual.  Shower then shave, then wash and rinse again and let air dry.  In the mornings i give another light pass after showering just to keep it slick.    I'm finding that by shaving this often it is helping reduce the bumps from shaving I was getting on the lower sides of my head.
and I have to add that you, TreeFrog, were born to be sly!   what a great looking, well shined dome that is!
congrats on that!
Mike

marty22

« Reply #364 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:04 AM »
great job!

MikeInPdx

« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
Hello everyone!

I rinse my scalp thoroughly with very warm water for at least 30 seconds or so. Then I apply my homemade shaving soap (I make my own in my own shaving mugs with olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and bentonite clay) with a good brush and wait for 2-3 minutes. I don't wash my head....I just wet it down......the soap is enough to clean my scalp and the oil in the mix leads to less irritation.

Prior to shaving, I go over my head again with the shaving brush to work the foam back up. This gives me a good chance to make sure everything is nice and wet.

Then I grab my razor (  I use whatever is handy and sharp....often a bic or disposable), and start carefully shaving against the grain of the hair (what's left of it) on top of my head. I work to the sides and back and repeat, feeling with my hand every few strokes to make sure my head is smooth.

After I've gone over my entire head, I feel carefully for any missed spots, and then follow up with either a lukewarm shower, or a cool water splash on my scalp. If I'm going to be outdoors on a really sunny day, I add some sunscreen. Otherwise, I go without anything else.

Really, my shaving routine is pretty simple, but it works for me with no nicks or irritation.

Hope this is what you're looking for....

Sincerely,
Mike

Offline DaDi

• Sly
  • The 1st sly member in SBG from Greece!
« Reply #366 on: July 03, 2009, 04:54:25 AM »
I feel so tired only readling your shaving steps guys....

My way:
1. After a hot shower I didnt dry the whole head
2. Applying some nivea sensitive shaving gel
3. Shaving face with mach3 (2 passes) and head with HB (one pass against the grain)
4. Fix spots with the mach3
5. Some warm water -> drying with towel
6. Applying Nivea sensitive After shave Balm

.... and then im running to make milk for my 2 kidz
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:07:10 AM by DaDi »
Yea, right...

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #367 on: July 04, 2009, 03:59:03 PM »
My ritual is fairly dull.  I get in the shower at night, lather up, and shave it off with the electric Gillette Fusion that vibrates (Gimmick?  I can't tell.)  At any rate I find that I do not use a mirror to shave.  I swipe the blade with one hand and follow with my finger tips on the other.  Doing this I feel my way across my head until I'm done.  As for the face I find I do need a mirror otherwise the edges of my goatee look sloppy as hell.  Then I finish the shower and I'm done.

Dull.  Dull.  Dull.

I don't like odors and like to smell like nothing at all.  Because of this I don't use aftershave lotions and I shave in the shower so all of the stuff can easily be washed down the drain.  And instead of bending over a sink while I shave I can spend that time standing in a hot shower.

I'd prefer shaving in the morning because I waste the smoothest hours of this haircut while sleeping, but I barely want to brush my teeth and dress when I get up so a headshave isn't gonna happen.  I tried getting into that habit a couple times and it always failed because it's more inconvenient since I don't shower in the morning. 

Several years ago for a few weeks I tried shaving twice a day, but my skin just would not adapt to that abuse.  It actually gave me rashes.

• I've been shaving with soap for at least 4 months.  I ran out of cream sometime around March and I just haven't gotten around to buying more yet.

• I own a headblade but don't like it.  It's not that great around the ears and feels like a ticking time bomb for a major cut.

• I have a Mach 3 and used it for years.  I thought it was great until I got that Gillette Fusion.

• I have the Panasonic Wet/Dry shaver.  I forget why I eventually gave up on it.  I think I was expecting it to be faster and easier to use than it was.

• The first time I shaved my head was for about a week and was a year before the current 10 year stretch I'm in now.  I used a disposable and those things are....ugh... Don't even consider this task with one of those.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline justinlane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2009, 11:20:19 PM »
Well these 25 pages of routines really helped me in trying my first thought out shave session tonight.  Monday night I just worried about shaving it and that was the end of it.  Well here is tonight's (with lot's of help from you guys):

1) Jump in as hot a shower as I can stand(I can't stand them very hot, I'm already in Texas)
2) Use exfoliating scrub of some kind (until my order comes in, I'm using my wife's that smells girly)
3) Rinse
4) Apply Head Slick
5) Use HeadBlade against the grain everywhere it is feasible (around the ears, it's just a matter of getting it shaved)
6) Rinse, making sure everything is feeling smooth.
7) Cold water to the head only
8) Apply lotion once I get out (right now using some lotion my wife bought that has aloe in it, works well)

This cob

Offline parky

• Ian Parkinson
  • Sly Jr.
  • Back being sly again
    • Ian Parkinson's Home Page
« Reply #369 on: July 14, 2009, 11:52:17 PM »
Hi Guys,

Here is my first post, and my current shave method.

I have a HeadBlade and the wash, scrub, etc on order, so not using the proper tools for the job quite yet.

I started shaving three days ago, done it twice so far, seeing if I can go two days without shaving.

My routing so far :-

1. I shave in the shower.
2. Have a good wash all over including the head, use a shampoo to wash head.
3. Use a shaving foam to lather face and head.
4. Shave face first with 3 blade razor, leaving head to soften.
5. Shave head against the grain, and then feel for missed areas.
6. Wash head with Which Hazel wash and dry.
7. Using 'self-tan' product for moisture at the moment to try to loose the white head look.

Only issue I have at the moment is the shadow.  I do get a very smooth shave, no stubble at all, but it comes back real quick.  Will try the cold water rinse tomorrow, see if that helps.

Offline justinlane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #370 on: July 15, 2009, 07:21:14 AM »

I have a HeadBlade and the wash, scrub, etc on order, so not using the proper tools for the job quite yet.

7. Using 'self-tan' product for moisture at the moment to try to loose the white head look.

First of all, welcome, I'm a new guy to shaving as well (just over a week now).  You will probably get this from a few guys on here, but there are no "proper tools" from what I have gathered, everyone just uses what works for them. 

Also, it looks like the 'self-tan' product is working quite well for you (could just be the lighting you're in, not sure), what specific product are you using?

Offline parky

• Ian Parkinson
  • Sly Jr.
  • Back being sly again
    • Ian Parkinson's Home Page
« Reply #371 on: July 15, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

First of all, welcome, I'm a new guy to shaving as well (just over a week now).  You will probably get this from a few guys on here, but there are no "proper tools" from what I have gathered, everyone just uses what works for them. 

Also, it looks like the 'self-tan' product is working quite well for you (could just be the lighting you're in, not sure), what specific product are you using?

Not sure I will be much help with the details of the self tan.
It is a UK brand - Boots No. 7 for Men - Gradual Tan Face - SPF15
It also protects you from the sun as it has an SPF 15 rating.

Offline 1000

• Crazy Bald Guy!
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #372 on: July 24, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »
Very simple shower routine. And it only adds 5-10 minutes to my showering routine.
1. Wet head
2. Shampoo
3. Rinse
4. TURN OFF SHOWER
5. Headslick
6. Shave
7. Rinse
8. Wash body
9. Rinse
Done!
God Bless our Men and Women serving in the United States Armed Forces.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #373 on: July 25, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »
I have read many posts here on this matter...it almost seems as if everyone has "The One Way" to get results.  Say, guys, it's just "shaving."  I am rather a Luddite, in that I get things down to the skin with little special prepping.  OK, here's how I get "perfection":  Shower in the A.M., washing bod and head with plain ol' soap.  Out of shower, and then slather cheap ol' shaving cream (Barbasol) on head and face; and then take up my pre-historic razor (Schick single-blade injector--they don't make 'em anymore, and I had to lay in a supply of blades), and away we go.  First pass over face 'n' dome (hand mirror for spots missed behind), and then finger-check for stubbly spots and second pass.  Wipe with washcloth.  A tad of Headlube in winter, and it's done.  I find some of the routines here a bit...well, over-elaborate, but whatever floats your boat.

Offline Elessar [[Sly]]

• Now fully Sly
  • Sly Jr.
  • Finally Sly! From hair down back to no hair at all
    • My Myspace
« Reply #374 on: July 27, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »
I am planning to shave off either today (so litrally when i get out the bath in a bit - im not in the bath for those that might wonder  :XX). I have headblade products and a decent shaver. But not 100% sure what order to use the products in.

Head Wash >> Head Shed >> Head Slick >> Head Lube?

Do I rinse off the head shed? sounds like a silly question but I am new lol.

Thank you kindly  :)
Mae govannen
Pelin pedi i lam edhellen