Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 364816 times)

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
Hey George,

I like that you are open to experimenting with the shave routine.  Looks like you have made some great modifications since going sly.  Keep it up.  I think it is part of the fun of going sly.

But don't stop doing what the wife loves.   :@`

Offline Baldrog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
Ok, still a green horn at shaving the dome, but here's what I do.  I shave in the shower.  I wash my face and head, and then use some ROC exfoliating cleanser.  Then lather up with Gillette Mach3 Gel for dry skin.  My razor is a Gillette Power Fusion.  I start at the front of the head and shave back making one pass, then going over it again to try to get that stubble.  I then lather up again, and shave from the back of my head to the front, and then I just go over the whole thing searching for rough spots.  After I think I'm done, I step out of the shower and rinse my head off with cold water.  Then I moisturize it with some vitamin E oil...just because I happen to have it. 

So, I've been sly for a little over a week, shaved my head 6 times.....I haven't really felt satisfied with my shaves.  But I think I'm a little razor shy.  Like I think I don't apply enough pressure sometimes.  I worry about cuts and razor burn.  I'm still new to this, so I think in time I'll have more practice and get more comfortable with applying the right pressure.  My bald head doesn't seem to stay smooth too long either.  I have like a 8:00 shadow already.  My hair has always grown fast.  I'm like a 34 year old teenwolf....complete with acme too. 

But anyway, I do like that Power Fusion.  I did buy a Headblade over the weekend, but have yet to use it.

parksie

« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »
Remember when you first try the headblade not to put any pressure on the front of the blade! 

Offline Baldrog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »
Remember when you first try the headblade not to put any pressure on the front of the blade! 

Yeah I noticed that in the directions that came with it.  Man....I can't believe I actually read the directions for a razor!  So I guess that little thing can do some serious damage if the pressure is applied wrong.  I think I'll stick with my Fusion....till I get tired of the price of it's razors.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
Hey Baldrog, be sure to try other shaving creams/gels.
See if you find Bald Guyz Ultimate Shave Gel.   At Bald Guyz it's all about the head, so their shave gel, moisture gel, pre-shave scrub, head wash & shampoo, sunscreen for the bald head, head wipes are all great products.
(the web-site is http://baldguyz.com/)

With a great shave gel like the bald guyz one you will not have to worry about cuts or razor burn.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:11:53 PM by SBG Math Guy »

Offline Baldrog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #335 on: March 24, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
See if you find Bald Guyz Ultimate Shave Gel.   At Bald Guyz it's all about the head, so their shave gel, moisture gel, pre-shave scrub, head wash & shampoo, sunscreen for the bald head, head wipes are all great products.

With a great shave gel like the bald guyz one you will not have to worry about cuts or razor burn.

Hmm, really?  I've been reading about the Bald Guyz line of products, and I think it might be worth looking into.  I did buy that Headblade Head Slick mentholated Shave Cream over the weekend, but I have yet to use it.  I was waiting till the Mach3 gel was used up. 
I am really curious about the Bald Guyz head wipes.  I did see them at the local Walgreens.  I think I should try them out, and I think that was the only Bald Guyz product they had.

Offline rward086

• Sly
    • Myspace
« Reply #336 on: March 24, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »
I'd say Bald Guyz Shave Gel is ideal for shower shaving due to it's hand application (opposed to brush) and thinner consistency.
"God only blessed a handful of people with perfect heads - The rest he covered with hair."

W3!ght

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
I'd say Bald Guyz Shave Gel is ideal for shower shaving due to it's hand application (opposed to brush) and thinner consistency.

rward, I use Bald Guyz shave gel with sink and not shower.  I have never tried it for shower.
I have actually found that it works best with brush application (hand also works).
I found the way to derive all benefits from this shave gel is to apply it with your hand or brush all over the scalp.
Then what you do is for each area you want to shave you dip a few fingers  in warm water and touch that region.  That makes it wet and you shave.  You then move on to another region.  Dip a few fingers in warm water and touch that region.  Then with the other hand shave it!!   You do that for every area and enjoy the result.

Offline AdamBauer

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2009, 04:16:40 PM »
1. Wake up
2. Drink vast amounts of coffee
3. Shower and use the exfoliating scrub on the noggin
4. Grab my headslick and go to town.
5. Using the Headblade sport front to back on the first pass/ back to front on the second
6. Take out the Head Lube Glossy and rub all over the noggin
7. Shave my face

Offline Baldrog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »

Ok, well at my local Walgreens, I snagged up a few boxes of those Bald Guyz head wipes and I got the moisture gel.  Those were all the Bald Guyz products they had.

The head wipes seems like a good thing when out and about.  I think I really like the moisture gel!  Thanks for the recommendation!

So this morning, I gave myself an almost truly satisfyingly smooth shave.  I didn't change much of my routine that I posted earlier.  But just finished up the shave by stepped out of the shower and stood in front of the mirror.  I think that was what I was lacking in my previous shaves.  I think I need that mirror to see what I'm actually doing. 
I'd rather shave in the shower, then the sink, so I think my next purchase will have to be one of those shower mirrors.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:44:37 PM by Baldrog »

Offline rward086

• Sly
    • Myspace
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
New idea...

I had an amazing shave yesterday combining Bald Guyz Shave Gel with Williams shave soap (which is like a $1 at CVS).

First off, the smell was amazing. A citrus heaven on my head. Also, I was able to get a great lather (Williams) with incredible slickness (Bald Guyz). I guess you could consider this a 'Superlather'.

I got my soaked boar brush filled with Williams soap, THEN I put a squirt of Bald Guyz Shave Gel on my brush and lathered the mixture on my head.

The shave soap and gel's ingredients work together amazingly and provide an incredible luxurious, close shave.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:10:28 AM by rward086 »
"God only blessed a handful of people with perfect heads - The rest he covered with hair."

W3!ght

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2009, 12:04:50 AM »
I had no idea shaving in the shower could make such a significant difference, especially in terms of comfort. It was like magic. Each stroke of the razor felt so smooth, even in the back of my head were it usually gets a little rougher. I also plan on checking out that Williams shave soap, thanks for posting that rward.

Offline rward086

• Sly
    • Myspace
« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2009, 03:57:53 AM »

rward, I use Bald Guyz shave gel with sink and not shower.  I have never tried it for shower.
I have actually found that it works best with brush application (hand also works).
I found the way to derive all benefits from this shave gel is to apply it with your hand or brush all over the scalp.
Then what you do is for each area you want to shave you dip a few fingers  in warm water and touch that region.  That makes it wet and you shave.  You then move on to another region.  Dip a few fingers in warm water and touch that region.  Then with the other hand shave it!!   You do that for every area and enjoy the result.

Thanks SBG Math. I've had a lot more luck now with getting the Bald Guyz lathered properly.

W3!ght

Offline JayQuest

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2009, 08:54:32 AM »
Hello to all! Newbie here. Well I should clarify that by saying newbie to this forum but not to shaving my head, as I've been shaving my head for more than 10 years now(finally gave in to mother nature). Nevertheless, I've always wanted that razor blade finish and shine and just recently began using the razor as opposed to electric clippers. A blade is definitely the way to go! My old routine use to include using my Andis Outliner II clippers to initially shave my head, and to get it even closer I would conclude my shave with my Braun Electirc Shaver. Well as of the last 4-5 months(after my electric clippers gave out) I finally decided to start using the razor and it has been a true experience! I first started going to a professional barber to cut my hair with a razor, but this can get expensive quickly as a result of wanting a close shave at least every 2-3 days.

Even when I use to visit the barber I still use to sometime get irritation and razor bumps/burn on my scalp as I have very sensitive skin. One particular time the irritation and burn got so bad that I literally couldn't cut my head for nearly 3 weeks, as it took this long for my scalp to heal. Finally after all of the obstacles and mis-haps I think I may have found a method that is working for me(1 month and no problems as of yet). I only shave my head at most every 4-5 days as I'm honestly somewhat fearful to increase the frequency because of scalp irritation and burn. Ultimately I want to "train" my scalp to take a razor everyday for that close and fresh shave that I desire, and I'm just now graduating from shaving every 4-5 days to every 2-3 days. My routine includes the following:

Wake Up
Stretch and be lazy for about 10 mins.
Place a damp towel in the microwave for 1 minute, 45 seconds
Place the hot towel on my head until it starts to cool off(roughly 3-4 minutes)
Lather up with Gillette Fusion Hydra Gel Ultra Sensitive and let stand for a couple of minutes
Shave with the grain using BIC Sensitive Disposable Razors (first thing I saw at Wal-Mart for Sensitive Skin)
Start with the sides using short strokes with moderate pressure, going over same area no more than twice
Shave back of scalp using same method as described above, and then conclude with top
(will start implementing the cold water technique at this point from reading previous posts)
Immediately apply B&C Skin Tight Extra Strength (recommended by barber for razor bumps & ingrown hairs)
Last but not least apply Vaseline on scalp which protects from minor scrapes/abrasions and helps protect.

So far this has been working tremendously for me as I was sincerely beginning to think after much trial and error that I was just in that percentage of the population that could not take a razor on the scalp. I still use electirc clippers/trimmers on my face for my goatee, and I'm okay and comfortable with this. Hopefully soon I'll be able tostart shaving my head daily as I hate this damn stubble and velcro that seems to grow almost instantly after I cut my hair. I found alot of interesting and useful information on this site, and I thank yall for sharing your methods. I'm glad to have found this forum, Thanks!

Offline Perry Noia

• Autodidact (Yes, that's an excuse)
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • It's awesome to be back!
« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »
Welcome JayQuest (I'm a bit of a newbie not only to the board but to shaving my head as well). Enjoy the board!

My shaving routine is usually shower-based. I just get the water as hot as possible, lather up with Edge shave gel, grab a Gillette Fusion, and spend about 30 minutes scraping the little hairs off the noggin. I usually shave every two to three days or so.

It's a lot easier for me than the sink cause the sink takes much longer on a usual basis.

Again, welcome to the board, JayQuest
"You're 17! What do you know?"

"I know two things, sir. One, I'm smarter than you. Two, I'm younger than you."